Loud clunking sound when shifting - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Loud clunking sound when shifting

I have owned my titan since 2005, after a few months of ownership, i started to hear this loud clunking noise coming from my truck when i would put it in drive. I took it in to the dealership just for them to tell me that they can't find anything wrong wiht it(typical answer, until ur warranty wears out). I didn't like their answer, but couldn't do anything about it. After a few months of driving, i took it back again because of the clunking sound,again they said they can't find anything. Its now been over 3yrs since i have owned my truck, and i will be taking it back a 3rd time because its clunking more and more now. I am going to throw a huge temper tandrum if they tell me that they can't find any problems. Does anyone else have this problem?? I think it might be from the trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 05:58 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Loud clunking sound when shifting

There are many guys with 05 trucks that are seeing their transmission mounts go out. Start there.

Mods: Bully Dog Tuner · 2* Timing Advance · AEM Brute Force · Burn-out Mod @ ECU · 18" Magnaflow
Nissan OEM Brush Guard · Hellwig Traction Springs · 4 Hella 500FF OR Lights
Line-X Bed Liner · Jason Topper · Nasta Nerf Bars

Wish List: Nitto Mud Grapplers · Rims

Waiting For Support On: TruTrac / PowerTrax
#3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmut View Post
There are many guys with 05 trucks that are seeing their transmission mounts go out. Start there.
Thanks man, I actually just got my truck back from the dealership for the engine service light that came on, I had to pay 115 just for them to diagnose the problem. Anyways, I asked the guy in the service department about the clunking sound, and he told my to try pushing in the e-brake when i part and when i shift back in to gear. He said something about the truck rolling just a little bit when u put it in bark, which is not causing it to lock. I'll see how using the e brake works out. I'll let u guys know.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 PM

mine is hard to shift out of park and makes a loud clunk when parked on a steep grade. Otherwise when on level ground no clunking or hard to shift condition. Have you checked your Universal joints? U joints make a clunk when shifting into gear when they are worn out..

*edit*
In my sleepy state last night I neglected to mention that setting the park brake before shifting into park stops the clunk on an incline :P

Last edited by PondTunes; 02-10-2009 at 07:25 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,359 Times in 1,636 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Hard shifting out of park when on an incline is very normal. The Generally Accepted steps to do it right are:
1. Engage the brake, remain in drive
2. Engage the parking/emergency brake
3. Shift to park
4. Release the brake

If your Titan rolls back/forward far enough that you still get the clunk then your e-brake may need adjustment.

There are a couple of schools of thought on this. My brother was a transmission tech for GM and said the transmission is just doing what it's supposed to and quit worrying about it. He also said engaging the e-brake on hot brakes is a good way to warp them. On the other hand, nobody likes hearing their transmission clunk and it seems that if the clunk can be eliminated by using the e-brake then some wear and tear (at least on the transmission) is being reduced. I would rather replace a set of brake rotors than have to dismantle a transmission to replace the Park mechanism.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
#6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:33 AM

Location: Black Mountain, N.C. with the mountains and winding roads = FUN!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to honeykeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Mind View Post
I have owned my titan since 2005, after a few months of ownership, i started to hear this loud clunking noise coming from my truck when i would put it in drive. I took it in to the dealership just for them to tell me that they can't find anything wrong wiht it(typical answer, until ur warranty wears out). I didn't like their answer, but couldn't do anything about it. After a few months of driving, i took it back again because of the clunking sound,again they said they can't find anything. Its now been over 3yrs since i have owned my truck, and i will be taking it back a 3rd time because its clunking more and more now. I am going to throw a huge temper tandrum if they tell me that they can't find any problems. Does anyone else have this problem?? I think it might be from the trans.
Try your foot on the brake and shift from drive to reverse and back a few times. If it clanks it's prob. the U-joints. Is your Titan a 4x4 or 4x2?
Also look at the front engine mounts......they are bolted from the bottom....I found a missing bolt on the drivers side early in on my 05 Titan.

3-29-05 Born 4/09/05 Adopted SEKC 4 x 4 Off Road with 08 Big Tow-E-Loc, Blizzard Graphite/Titanium Interior, Popular Package, Bench Seat,
Bilstein front/rear shocks, Deaver Mini-Pak Springs, Total Chaos Shackles, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, Mag-Hytek Honeypot, HK Rear Axle Vent Mod.
ARE Z shell..OEM bug/rock deflector, Lund AVS Ventvisors, OEM mud gaurds, Bushwhacker- notched-Fender Flares, Stainless Steel Titan Door Sills, Black Vinyl Door Edge Molding on front doors and vertical sides of Tailgate, Spoiler Direct Chrome Tailgate Trim, Utilitrac System, OEM Dual Lower Sliding Trays, OEM under-seat-storganiser, Silver Star Ultra L B, White Night Backup Lights, CT Windshield Sun Reflector, Drawtite Activator II trailer-e-brake control, Super-Z-Winter Traction Cables, Dueler AT REVO Tires-4th set, Frozen Rotors/Hawk Pads, NISSAN I-POD adapter, Bosch Icon blades-2nd set, Optima Red Top battery.

6 x 10' low bed/rails trailer with E-brakes. 108 year old rebuilt 4,000 lb. road roller/packer.
JFK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8dLHZ6jKFc
"We have the Capability & Technology to Eliminate 100% of our needs for Persian Gulf Oil" R.F.K.Jr. 7-07:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG5zckBejK0

Jump to top