Nissan Titan Forum banner

Simplified Deaver c10 install

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BrandonVK56 
#1 ·
Hey guys, installed my Deaver C10 springs today and tried following a few how to's from here and other forums and I ended up coming up with my own technique that made the install super easy and quick.

Note: You will be removing the entire leaf spring assembly from the rear before releasing the middle lock nut that holds the leafs together.

To make this install easy I used a ball joint press kit. You can either buy one or rent it from your local auto parts store.

To start you need to jack up the rear and place jack stands under the frame then place your jack under the pumpkin. To protect the axle housing I placed a 2x4 between the jack and axle under the pumpkin. Make sure to get your rear up as high as you can since your adding height from the Deavers.

Next jack up the floor jack under the pumpkin just enough to take some pressure off the springs.

Note: I recommend doing one side at a time.

Now, unbolt your shock and remove it from the truck.

Now, loosen your ubolts and remove all the stuff.

Then lower your jack so the axle housing releases from the leaf spring.

Next, loosen your shackle bolt and remove the nut, then loosen the shackle to frame bolt and nut, then remove the shackle. The leaf spring will shift a little bit this is fine.

Now, go to the forward leaf spring mount in front of the axle and loosen the bolt from the outer side. The inside frame bolt is locked in place so don't worry about placing a wrench on that nut. Once the bolt is out you remove the leaf spring assembly by turning and working it out going forward. This worked best for me. Mark with a sharpie or paint pen the front and rear side of the leaf assembly, this is very important.

Now, place the leaf spring assembly on a bench (or tailgate like I did) then take a locking clamp, etc and place it on the sides of the leaf springs to hold them in place from shifting. Then take another locking clamp and put it near the roller the keeps the overload spring on the leaf assembly. Tighten it down and loosen the Allen head bolt and remove the roller and bolt assembly.

Now loosen the nut in the middle of the leaf assembly and remove the overload spring.

Note: the springs will loosen up some. Don't panic, this is ok.

Now remove the side bolts from your Deavers and remove the middle lock nut. Your Deavers will loosen up. No big deal.

Next, put the longer side of the Deaver pack on the front side of your leaf assembly. Did you forget to mark it? Lol

Get it close to lined with the middle nut holes on both then place the aligning bolt through the middle of the Deavers and attach your ball
joint press. Begin slowly press the Deaver onto the leaf assembly, carefully making sure it does not slip off of the aligning bolt.

Keep pressing till you can put the side bolts in, but don't tighten those yet. Press the Deaver until it's fully seated on your leaf assembly. Then put on the lock nut and snug it down. Don't over tighten this nut. Snug plus a half turn is enough. Now tighten your side bolts down nice and firm. Now you can release your ball joint press and viola your done. Easy huh.

Place your leaf assembly back on the axle and bolt the front mount first. Make sure to place the mount pin below the Deaver into the axle housing hole on the spring perch before going forward.

Now, your gonna quickly realize the bolt hole doesn't line up, don't worry, we're gonna fix that. Get yourself a strap and attach to the frame forward of the axle then to the axle and start ratcheting to pull the axle forward. You will see the holes line and allow you to press the bolt through. Tighten it up but dont torque it yet.

Do the same for the rear and rear shackle but don't torque yet. Once the rear is attached, tighten the u bolts.

Note: you will need to cut the middle leaf spring bolt in half. The extruding part above the lock nut should be cut in half! This allows you to place the bump stop on as the Deaver bolt is too long. Once you cut that. Re install the u bolt assembly and lock her down, fully torqued. Now torque your front and rear leaf mounts and re install.

Lastly, re install your rear shocks and have a beer.

The ball joint press made this extremely easy. Way easier than trying to clamp the leaf and do the install with the leaf on the truck. I highly recommend you do it this way. Once I figured out to do it this way, it took me 45 minutes to fully do the passenger side.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Happy to answer any questions or provide more pics.

Also feel free to add any suggestions or tips!

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Great write up, wheres da pics of deavers and fancy Radflo's all installed/????

#5 ·
I been lazy, but just because you mentioned it, I'm gonna take some pics this weekend and post em next week. The rear radflos are excellent! So much difference with these shocks... it's weird because their a little stiff on public streets, but the moment you go off road, they're literally perfect! No excessive rebound or compression. Amazing off road performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.