Pulling A Stuck Vehicle - Gear and Procedure? - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan FAQ & Howto Area This area servers as a holding place for all FAQ entires, and Howto Articles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 12:32 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Here is a VERY, VERY large video that I came across.

It's a good example of how a nylon tow strap can maim/kill. It's about 1/4 of the way through. Replay it couple times and notice the damage it did to the pickup's rear tail gate and cab rear window/dash/windshield. Luckily, no one was in the way.

*WARNING* Big video - No dial up

http://www.offroadkrayzie.com/videos/TheBigStuck.mpeg

Nylon tow straps are great. Getting a running start at pulling someone out (like the guy in the black Dodge did) is a good way to get somebody unstuck from a bad spot. The strap will stretch, then the rebound plus the recovery vehicle's momentum makes for alot more pulling force than just the recovery vehicle alone could generate.

Make sure you keep your straps new and clean. Sand (the stuff that glass is made from) can really eat a tow strap. A strap in good, clean condition won't snap like the one in the video.

2007 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 Limited

MY04 SE King Cab 4X4 SOLD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 05:26 AM

FYI: When he says VERY VERY large he means 45.5 MB large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin
Here is a VERY, VERY large video that I came across.

It's a good example of how a nylon tow strap can maim/kill. It's about 1/4 of the way through. Replay it couple times and notice the damage it did to the pickup's rear tail gate and cab rear window/dash/windshield. Luckily, no one was in the way.

*WARNING* Big video - No dial up

http://www.offroadkrayzie.com/videos/TheBigStuck.mpeg

Nylon tow straps are great. Getting a running start at pulling someone out (like the guy in the black Dodge did) is a good way to get somebody unstuck from a bad spot. The strap will stretch, then the rebound plus the recovery vehicle's momentum makes for alot more pulling force than just the recovery vehicle alone could generate.

Make sure you keep your straps new and clean. Sand (the stuff that glass is made from) can really eat a tow strap. A strap in good, clean condition won't snap like the one in the video.

2004 Red KC 4X4 SE
SE Popular Bench
Big Tow
Utility Bed Extender
Utility Bed Toolbox
#18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 11:04 AM

got stuck, in feburary

when i got stuck near Lake Tahoe, on mere 1' of snow, my phat 4wd titan was pulled out by a nissan pathfinder! lol

Twenty Aught Four Titan KC 4x4 SE, Smoke: Off-Road/Bench 6-seater.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools," Thucydides.
#19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Great video example of how not to pull a vehicle. Remember to always put something on the tow strap to keep it from flying back at you.

Roy Rumaner
Fully Loaded 2004 Smoke LE 4x4

----------------------------------------------

Any questions about the site etc. Lets us know!
#20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 12:20 AM

Haven't read this post in awhile, but I just thought of another thing to add. You'll want to make sure to tell the dude in the stuck vehicle (or remind yourself if you're the one that's stuck) not to lay on the gas in gear while the recovery vehicle is pullin out the stuck one. When the tires catch ground as the stuck vehicle is gettin out, w/the amount of torque bein applied, the stuck vehicle could break an axle.
#21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanDan
not to lay on the gas in gear while the recovery vehicle is pullin out the stuck one. When the tires catch ground as the stuck vehicle is gettin out, w/the amount of torque bein applied, the stuck vehicle could break an axle.
That all depends on what the stuck vehicle is stuck in. If it's mud or sand, then the stuck vehicle needs to keep it's wheels spinning while being pulled out - he needs to drive out, in addition to being pulled out.

#22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 AM

Quote:
That all depends on what the stuck vehicle is stuck in. If it's mud or sand, then the stuck vehicle needs to keep it's wheels spinning while being pulled out - he needs to drive out, in addition to being pulled out.
I have found that it doesn't depend on what the vehicle is stuck in. If the vehicle is being pulled out forward, put it in "drive" and hit the gas slightly. If it's bein pulled out backward, then put it in "reverse", and hit the gas slightly. If the recovery vehicle is applying enough force, then the stuck vehicle won't have to pound the gas in order to "help out" that much. You can break an axle in pretty much any terrain.
#23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanDan
I have found that it doesn't depend on what the vehicle is stuck in. If the vehicle is being pulled out forward, put it in "drive" and hit the gas slightly. If it's bein pulled out backward, then put it in "reverse", and hit the gas slightly. If the recovery vehicle is applying enough force, then the stuck vehicle won't have to pound the gas in order to "help out" that much. You can break an axle in pretty much any terrain.
hehe...

Okay, let's make a deal - the next time you pull me out, I'll give it very slight gas. Next time I pull you out, you let 'er rip.

#24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 01:46 PM

Quote:
hehe...

Okay, let's make a deal - the next time you pull me out, I'll give it very slight gas. Next time I pull you out, you let 'er rip.
I'd be happy to, accept I don't wanna break an axle!!!!! Alright alright, its a deal, we'll do it, so long as I get stuck in my 89 Honda!!
#25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:19 AM

In the winter, during snowstorms me and a couple buddies grab our tow straps and cb radios, and hit the road. We usually have two trucks. We drive around looking for people who are stuck. You can make some damn good beer money this way, as long as you dont ask for any.

We have gotten pretty good at pulling cars and trucks out. We have found that pulling with the rear of the vehical is a waste of time. "Unless you get one of those that are vaccume locked into mud, and you need 20ft runs." But we are usually dealing with snow.

They put to hooks and loops on trucks for pulling things out not for being pulled. we tend to pull in reverse in 4 low, at a crawl. It works the best. The engine is a very good weight. This way also gives you a very good view of what is happening. Try to position your self in the best place possible.

We usually have 2 people in a truck. Having someone with you that know what they are doing is helpfull. They can run the gas in the other vehical as needed.

Another easy way is to call a wreaker they are insured to pull people out. Its really handy if you have AAA or Roadside assistance.

I like to pull people out. Its fun. Did I mention it scores big points with girls, that dread having to call daddy. Ahh the teen years. lol
#26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:42 AM

I caution you not to use the front "tow hooks" to pull someone out. Only pull from the center of the truck...the hitch. You would be surprised how much frame tweaking can take place when you pull from the two hooks...I know.
#27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 01:51 PM

Well never done any frame tweaking and pull w/ my factory tow hooks all the time.
You would have to pull at some weird angles to tweak the front frame.

The huge tugs w/ 20 foot runs I would use my hitch.
#28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 06:09 PM

also see...

http://www.okoffroad.com/editorial-winching1.htm
http://www.4x44u.com/pub/k2/am4x44u/...c.htm#Recovery

and this video is worth every penny (from experience)
http://www.4x4books.com/bbgus.htm

and if your really interested, here's how your Titan can conform to a front mounted winch...

http://titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14627
#29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 06:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Titan4x4Aggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLfinfan
So where do you recommend to hook up the strap in the front (or back) when you don't have a hitch? Tow hooks in front? Around the axel or frame in back? I had a guy pull me off a sand pile by my axel in my Frontier. Just had to make sure we didn't pinch the brake line that ran through the area.
No one answered this and i had the same question. I have a 30' tow rope, 3" wide i think, 10000 lb tensile strength, that i keep in the side bed box. I dont have the Big Tow Package, so where should i hook up the rope to? the front tow hooks? I have offroad package.

I heard you shouldn't pull/tow in reverse, is this true? Where can i look the ropes to on teh back side of my truck?

My new gas saver!!!!!!
#30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 06:53 PM

If the stuck vehicle is in wet sand or mud, it's best to position
(if possible) the tow vehicle at about a 30 degree angle to the
one that is stuck. That will break the suction of the stuck
vehicle and help ease it out.

Nr1 Qualifier

2004 LE KC 4x4

Jump to top