How to Replace Fuel Pump / Fuel Sending Unit (Bad Gas Gauge) - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan FAQ & Howto Area This area servers as a holding place for all FAQ entires, and Howto Articles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How to Replace Fuel Pump / Fuel Sending Unit (Bad Gas Gauge)

First off, my bad gas gauge symptom was it never showed FULL and had at least 10 gallons in the tank when gauge read empty. Now, my gas gauge is very accurate!

Just provided this through PM to someone and thought I would share with everyone... I have an 04 Titan, which does not seem to be eligible for the fuel pump recall, so I replaced myself. Got new fuel pump from Advance Auto online for about $150 after a sale discount. $175 w/o.

The couple places I called wanted upwards of $500 for parts and labor. Even if you don't have the air compressor and tools to make this easier, you can buy them for what they charge for labor alone. And then you have them for next time!

I don't think I missed any steps here; questions ask away! Now I just need to find a cheap way to fix/replace the leaking manifolds.

*Recommend running tank near empty before attempting to remove. Near Empty tank is pretty light and can be handled by one person fairly easy.

1. Start truck and while running pull fuel pump fuse (In Engine Compartment Fuse Box) and let engine die out naturally to release fuel line pressure. Do not replace fuse until work is complete. Also, remove fuel cap to release any tank pressure.

2. Disconnect battery and chock front tires

3. Jack up Driver Rear side and remove tire.

4. Remove Front portion of wheel well. Small plastic piece; 2 screws (1 top towards bed and 1 underneath truck/fender) and 1 plastic retainer (mid way up, left side). Easier to remove by pushing in center and pulling top part out first - fender support bar at bottom makes it difficult to pull out from bottom.

5. Remove evaporator hose from evaporator (plastic box next to fuel tank). Plastic tabs need to be pushed out - I had to use 2 small screwdrivers to release the hose.

6. Remove fuel filler hose.

7. Remove fuel tank skid plate if applicable. I used an air wrench.

8. Use something to hold fuel tank, like a jack. Remove fuel tank straps. Lower tank some and let the front end come down lower than the rear. --I found this to be the easiest way to remove the fuel line hose and wire harness from pump.

9. Remove the fuel pump protective plate. Then you remove the fuel line and wire harness. The fuel line tabs are 2 push-in tabs. *Gas will still come out even with pressure released.

10. Drop tank all the way. *No need to remove 2nd hose (evaporator hose) from the pump itself until you pull the tank all the way out since you already disconnected the other end.

10. Remove evaporator hose from pump.

11. Remove fuel pump retainer ring. I used an air hammer.

12. Remove and Replace Pump. ***Do not forget to remove the fuel line retainer clamp from old fuel pump. Mine did not come off with the line and I did not realize it until after I got a phone call from the wife after the fact...lol

13. Reassemble in the reverse order.

I think I spent 3ish hours overall on it and that was wasting some time figuring out the evaporator hose clamp.

Last edited by adam1981; 01-21-2011 at 08:20 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adam1981 For This Useful Post:
BBtruck (03-04-2011), honda250xtitan (01-25-2011), Scottysize (01-21-2011), TA CC TX (01-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 59,607 Times in 18,735 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Re: How to Replace Fuel Pump / Fuel Sending Unit (Bad Gas Gauge)

Very nice write up. Thanx.

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

Cheap rum is the greatest sin against humanity
#3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:06 PM

Isn't it recalled and free from the dealer?

[

Last edited by HudsonValleyTitan; 01-21-2011 at 02:14 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Premium User

Thanked 59,607 Times in 18,735 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Not all HVT.

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

Cheap rum is the greatest sin against humanity
#5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Premium User

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Scottysize

Awesome. Thank you! My 2004 hit 60k and the fuel pump went out. $600 to do what you did at the dealer!

2012 SV CC Brilliant Silver/Charcoal Cloth 4X4.

Future Mods: One day AirLift Air Bags

#6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValleyTitan View Post
Isn't it recalled and free from the dealer?
Not on the 04's...
#7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1981 View Post
Not on the 04's...
Of all the years Titans were made, you HAD to have the 04?...lol. I still call BS on Nissan though. They ALL have the same F'd up fuel sending units and I'd be sure to call Nissan and demand they cover it!

[
#8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValleyTitan View Post
Of all the years Titans were made, you HAD to have the 04?...lol. I still call BS on Nissan though. They ALL have the same F'd up fuel sending units and I'd be sure to call Nissan and demand they cover it!
I know right...it was just the one I found the best deal on and it came with a camper shell, which I wanted since moving way north (AK).

Had I came across this information about bad manifolds and bad fuel pumps prior to purchasing, I would have ran...

I am usually pretty aggressive when it comes to being done wrong, but I know I would be wasting my breath with Nissan. They clearly already know they sold trucks with crappy manifolds and fuel pumps... I can't blame them for trying to get out of it for the least amount of money, but think it this case it's bad business practice, especially for long term. The fuel pump is not even what bother's me...it's the manifolds and the cost involved.

Last edited by adam1981; 01-22-2011 at 06:37 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 PM

Thank you for the step by step plan. It took you about 3 hours. It took me much longer in my unsucessful effort to get Nissan to replace the sending unit as per recent service bulletin. How many 04/05 titans have less than 36,000 miles. If you purchased an extended warranty and have under 100,000 miles, maybe they will fix it. (Since you paid out the rear for the extra coverage, its not costing Nissan anything anyway) Oh -- since your truck is over 5 years old. you might think it prudent to replace your 5-year old fuel pump. -- thats not part of the bulletin --that expense is all yours. All that said. maybe they will fix a token number of titans, I would bet very few customers will be fixed "free".
Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 06:16 AM

I thought the 04 and up guys/gals not covered by the original recall would like to know that they will be able to get their fuel sending units fixed under the recall. I called Nissan and told them how much I loved my truck, and how the fuel sending units in other trucks were recalled for the same thing my truck was doing (2004 LE).

They started an investigation, and found there are a lot of us that should also be in on this. Call your dealer, ask them to do this for you. If they don't, call 800-NISSAN1 and ask them the same.

Worked for me, and my truck has 74K on it. Good luck. Enjoying the fact I don't show empty anymore with 13 gallons still in my tank.

PS Anyone in the PDX area, call Alan Webb Nissan. Great customer service. Ask for Toby. He knows about this deal. (I am not an employee of Nissan or Alan Webb, just a satisfied customer)

-Shawn
-Amarak on Club Titan
#11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:20 AM

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04BlackCC View Post
I thought the 04 and up guys/gals not covered by the original recall would like to know that they will be able to get their fuel sending units fixed under the recall. I called Nissan and told them how much I loved my truck, and how the fuel sending units in other trucks were recalled for the same thing my truck was doing (2004 LE).

They started an investigation, and found there are a lot of us that should also be in on this. Call your dealer, ask them to do this for you. If they don't, call 800-NISSAN1 and ask them the same.

Worked for me, and my truck has 74K on it. Good luck. Enjoying the fact I don't show empty anymore with 13 gallons still in my tank.

PS Anyone in the PDX area, call Alan Webb Nissan. Great customer service. Ask for Toby. He knows about this deal. (I am not an employee of Nissan or Alan Webb, just a satisfied customer)

-Shawn
-Amarak on Club Titan
Do you have an extended warranty? I called them after this recall was released and tried to get them to fix my fuel gauge. They told me it was not part of the recall and was VIN specific to 2005+. I requested a goodwill and it was declined, they said because I wasn't the original owner and there was very little history with my vehicle.

Truck:
2004 Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4x4

Mods:
Superchips, aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, Dual Exhaust (thrush mufflers), Walker B-pipes, Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 tires, Aluminum rear diff cover, Rear axle vent mod, Bushwacker Fender Flares, Keystone Good Hood (RAM AIR), Spec-D Altezza Head lights and Tail Lights.
#12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy120 View Post
Do you have an extended warranty? I called them after this recall was released and tried to get them to fix my fuel gauge. They told me it was not part of the recall and was VIN specific to 2005+. I requested a goodwill and it was declined, they said because I wasn't the original owner and there was very little history with my vehicle.
I have neither the extended warranty, nor am I the original owner. This just transpired last Friday and this Monday. The truck went in on Wednesday to have the fuel sending unit replaced. I would call and talk to 800-Nissan1 and explain the situation.

Make sure you are really nice to them and explain how much you love your Nissan and such. Good luck.
#13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1981 View Post
First off, my bad gas gauge symptom was it never showed FULL and had at least 10 gallons in the tank when gauge read empty. Now, my gas gauge is very accurate!

Just provided this through PM to someone and thought I would share with everyone... I have an 04 Titan, which does not seem to be eligible for the fuel pump recall, so I replaced myself. Got new fuel pump from Advance Auto online for about $150 after a sale discount. $175 w/o.

The couple places I called wanted upwards of $500 for parts and labor. Even if you don't have the air compressor and tools to make this easier, you can buy them for what they charge for labor alone. And then you have them for next time!

I don't think I missed any steps here; questions ask away! Now I just need to find a cheap way to fix/replace the leaking manifolds.

*Recommend running tank near empty before attempting to remove. Near Empty tank is pretty light and can be handled by one person fairly easy.

1. Start truck and while running pull fuel pump fuse (In Engine Compartment Fuse Box) and let engine die out naturally to release fuel line pressure. Do not replace fuse until work is complete. Also, remove fuel cap to release any tank pressure.

2. Disconnect battery and chock front tires

3. Jack up Driver Rear side and remove tire.

4. Remove Front portion of wheel well. Small plastic piece; 2 screws (1 top towards bed and 1 underneath truck/fender) and 1 plastic retainer (mid way up, left side). Easier to remove by pushing in center and pulling top part out first - fender support bar at bottom makes it difficult to pull out from bottom.

5. Remove evaporator hose from evaporator (plastic box next to fuel tank). Plastic tabs need to be pushed out - I had to use 2 small screwdrivers to release the hose.

6. Remove fuel filler hose.

7. Remove fuel tank skid plate if applicable. I used an air wrench.

8. Use something to hold fuel tank, like a jack. Remove fuel tank straps. Lower tank some and let the front end come down lower than the rear. --I found this to be the easiest way to remove the fuel line hose and wire harness from pump.

9. Remove the fuel pump protective plate. Then you remove the fuel line and wire harness. The fuel line tabs are 2 push-in tabs. *Gas will still come out even with pressure released.

10. Drop tank all the way. *No need to remove 2nd hose (evaporator hose) from the pump itself until you pull the tank all the way out since you already disconnected the other end.

10. Remove evaporator hose from pump.

11. Remove fuel pump retainer ring. I used an air hammer.

12. Remove and Replace Pump. ***Do not forget to remove the fuel line retainer clamp from old fuel pump. Mine did not come off with the line and I did not realize it until after I got a phone call from the wife after the fact...lol

13. Reassemble in the reverse order.

I think I spent 3ish hours overall on it and that was wasting some time figuring out the evaporator hose clamp.
I just spent 4 hours replacing my fuel pump. My 2004 Titan CC 4x4 LE got a brand new fuel pump courtesy of Advanced Auto Parts for $175.00, and everything went smooth except for the step
"12. Remove and Replace Pump. ***Do not forget to remove the fuel line retainer clamp from old fuel pump. Mine did not come off with the line and I did not realize it until after I got a phone call from the wife after the fact...lol"
Forgot to do step 12 but didn't take long to do it.
For the past week, I've been taking time to do some TLC to the underside of my Titan. Removing skid plates, sanding, washing, drying, priming, undercoating and painting everything applicable with necessary Rustoleum and Krylon products. I owe 4,000 on my truck and plan on never selling it, and I swear everyone that rides in my truck has nothing but great things to say about the quick throttle response, power and overall comfortable ride.
I even took off the Big Tow hitch and sanded, primed and painted it.
Thanks for the instructions, and appreciate the effort.
#14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM

Old thread, i know just saying thanks for write up dealer said my 05 want eligible so i guess i get to learn how to do this

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 11:15 PM

Same here my 05 just hit 130k miles.. Calling the stealership tomorrow to see if they will cover the pump change.. I asked early last year if I had any recalls and they said he was good to go. Bout time for new plugs too, think I got my money's worth out of that set. The truck just started to max out at 80mph and after that it just starts missing, jumps, and makes my tranny sound like crap. When I end up doing all this myself, is there enough room to maybe get a shop vac or air hose in there to somehow blow out and clean that fuel screen/filter? Without completely disconnecting the tank? Or is it maybe removable ? I love this truck! Thanks in advance guys..

Jump to top