How to start a Titan without a registered key and not void the Warranty. - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan FAQ & Howto Area This area servers as a holding place for all FAQ entires, and Howto Articles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How to start a Titan without a registered key and not void the Warranty.

Hi All, I have read Numerous threads on the frustration and expense related to the requirement to Register Iginition keys with a vehicles Anti Theft System.

So I figured out how to beat it without modifying the vehicle or software.

background:
I recently purchased a 2011 Titan which is certified preowned with the extended warranty service contract. So it was important that I not void my warranty.

They only gave me one Key and FOB (note to anyone buying a used Nissan, be sure to find out how many keys/FOB's your getting and if you need more to negotiate them as part of your deal BEFORE you sign on the dotted line).

I purchased a bunch of FOB's on Ebay and programmed them using the easily searchable procedure on this website and they work perfectly. The keys are another matter.

I called my local dealer (different then the dealer I purchased the truck from) to inquire about extra keys...

100 bucks for the blank
100 bucks to cut/register it
which turned to which turned to which turned to oh it's on Nissan...

To immediately mitigate the risk of losing my only key and turning my pretty new truck into a 7000 pound parking ticket holder I sought after a second key.

Turns out that Ace Hardware can cut and register keys for Nissans. It took the key maker two attempts to get it to register but it worked. They charged me $80. Much better then the dealers $200, but still a bit of a sting when I'm used to paying $3.19 for a little metal bumpy stick to make my wheels go.

Plan on about 20 minutes for the key guy to walk back and forth to your car a few times (you should park close to the store). I would also call ahead and confirm that they have a "certified chip key associate" in the store at the time of your visit.

While I was there, I also had them cut me two non transponder keys for possible experimentation/lockout contingency.

My goal was now to figure out how to get the titan to start with a non transponder key, while not altering anything that would void the warranty.

After some research I figured out that the antenna module that interrogates the key is just behind, underneath and slightly to the right of the hole that key goes into.

I removed the plastic dash panel under the steering wheel (two Phillips head screws on the bottom and just pulled the top straight back to pull the plastic snaps out).

Then I removed the metal panel underneath (4 Phillips head screws).

I then repeatedly attempted to Start the Titan with a non chip key while holding the Ace Hardware registered key underneath the now exposed ignition column. It took a few tries but eventually I found a sweet spot. While holding the registered key in place I managed to slip some zip ties around it and very securely zip tie the registered key to the NATS antenna module.
I double checked that it would still start, which it did. Then put the dash back to together and check that it would start again, which it did.

Here is a shot of the key zip tied up under the dash from the view of the gas pedal. It's zip tied to a small black box that is the NATS antenna module (sorry didn't take a pic before attaching the key)

Here is a reverse shot, you can see the plastic square that receives the plastic panel directly below the ignition as a point of reference between the pics. (Note, that the key in the ignition is a non transponder key and starts the Titan if turned).

I now have a Titan that will start using keys that only cost 3 bucks to grind, and FOB's that only cost 8-10 bucks on ebay.

As for security I noticed that even with the registered keys, if I don't unlock the car with the FOB first then it won't start. I also can't shut the alarm off with the registered key, only with the FOB. Long story short, my Titan won't start without a Programmed FOB. If I ever lose a FOB/keyset I can always "deprogram" the lost FOB by running the FOB programming procedure with my remaining FOB's (of which I have 4 of, the max the truck will allow).

I hope this helps those out there who are just plain annoyed/appalled by the ridiculousness of the NATS system and the cost of keys. My truck gets used by several people and it's convenient that they all have a key (not to mention a spare). We also seem to lose about one key a year on average. If I had to do this through the dealer it would have cost me 600 bucks just for keys, and I didn't even ask about FOB's. It would also cost me about 200 bucks a year on average to replace the keys that we inevitably lose, plus the cost of FOB's. With this "hack" in place it now cost me about 15 bucks to replace a lost key/FOB set, and I can do it without a dealer appointment. I've already had a few extra non transponder keys cut at ACE Hardware and am ordering two more FOB's to have on hand to replace the ones we will lose with minimum inconvenience.

I also noted that you only need the transponder near the NATS Antenna during starting, once the Titan is running you can remove the registered key from the ignition area and the truck will still function normally with only the non transponder key in the ignition.

Good luck all, happy hacking!

Last edited by Evangelon2; 09-15-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: wrong image link
The Following User Says Thank You to Evangelon2 For This Useful Post:
PAPARYNO (12-23-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 59,583 Times in 18,722 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Re: How to start a Titan without a registered key and not void the Warranty.

Ingenious. Thanx.

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

Hardships often prepare ordinary people for extraordinary destiny - C.S. Lewis
#3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanked 1,127 Times in 753 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

HID's:
5000K lows 3000k Fogs
Custom Custom exhaust
bilstein 5100 hd on all 4 corners

Is a V8 what was I thinking
#4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,923 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vilim12

I just did it with uprev lol

2008 Nissan Titan Pro-4x CC LWB Smoke
#5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,213 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Back in the early days of remote starter and "chipped" keys. There was no such thing as key bypass module.
Installer would have to use one of the "chipped" key and do what you did. Attached it on/near the ign key cylinder.
Even when they did have key bypass module, some of the early module required you to run an antenna wire
to the ign key cylinder and attached it somewhere that get read.

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq

Last edited by baseballfanz; 09-14-2012 at 03:43 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 04:26 PM

Thanked 2,496 Times in 1,579 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Another easy solution, I bought 3 non chipped keys for a total of $6, they will unlock the truck but not start it. I have an extra chipped key hidden inside my truck, only I know where it is, not an easily found location. I keep a non chipped key outside the truck, again not easily found, you would have to know where it is to find it. In an emergency, I can always get into my truck and start it.

2010 Titan 4x4 CC SE Majestic Blue
Uprev tuned by Seymore, 18" Magnaflow muffler, Airaid MXP 4" CAI, Custom Grounding kit by FAK.
8" Boston acoustic's sub in Tech12volts ported box w 1000 w renegade amp
Autostart remote start, bedlined OEM wheels, bumpers, and grill. Go Rhino D2 steps.
5000k HID's, super bright LED reverse lights, blue interior LED's, and white exterior LED's.
Smoke hood shield and in channel window deflectors
Armada Air Dam, 22" double row light bar
Leer 100R Topper, Goodyear Duratracs 275/70/18,
Rough Country UCA's, 1.5" front spacer, Bilstein 5100's/5125's, 1.5" rear block.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FishnAlaska For This Useful Post:
fish (12-27-2012), GRAVITY (12-25-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 PM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Now someone knows where a key that will start your vehicle is located...

Sent using this buggy crash-friendly app.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHGVR View Post
Were you able to see the pics? It's my first time posting on the forum so I'm not sure if I did it correctly.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM

Thanked 1,228 Times in 772 Posts

Nope, No Pics.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilim12 View Post
I just did it with uprev lol
How easy is that to do? Does it also disable the Alarm system?

I was also worried that Nissan might figure it out and give me the run a round:
"sir, your leaf spring broke because you tinkered with the ECU"... Or something like that.

Uprev is on the "truck list" but baby needs a new tool box, Rhino Liner and Undercoat first (I live in the Northeast US and winter is right around the corner).
#11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanss View Post
Nope, No Pics.
That's strange, I can see them. Is there a tutorial on "how to post a pic" on the site somewhere that I can review? I'll look for it later. The post won't make much sense without the pictures.
#12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 AM

Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,923 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vilim12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelon2 View Post
How easy is that to do? Does it also disable the Alarm system?

I was also worried that Nissan might figure it out and give me the run a round:
"sir, your leaf spring broke because you tinkered with the ECU"... Or something like that.

Uprev is on the "truck list" but baby needs a new tool box, Rhino Liner and Undercoat first (I live in the Northeast US and winter is right around the corner).
It was as easy as "hey uprev, disable nats" "okay done" lol

No the alarm still works, my friend reached into my open window the other day and unlocked it causing it to go off.

2008 Nissan Titan Pro-4x CC LWB Smoke
#13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanked 1,228 Times in 772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelon2 View Post
That's strange, I can see them. Is there a tutorial on "how to post a pic" on the site somewhere that I can review? I'll look for it later. The post won't make much sense without the pictures.
Look Here: Uploading for Dummies
#14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanss View Post

I uploaded the pics to my gallery and linked them from there, which seems to have worked. Thank you for the "Uploading for Dummies" I'll take a look at it and do it properly when I get a chance.
#15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Nice mod. I have a remote start, but it only bypasses for a split second while the truck starts. This is a cheap option for many people

I was able to find a guy who will cut and program unlimited number of keys for $45. I bought 2 blank chipped keys off ebay for $12 and a flip key.

Mods: Custom Rock Sliders, LegitLED interior/bed lights and 55watt HID Hella 500s, Magellan 9055 nav bezel, backup camera, remote start, 2*advance, Goodolsen grounding kit, 100w hellaFF, complete sound deadening, RC UCA, 5100's middle setting, 1.5" front spacer, 1.5" rear spacer, DIY Window Tint.

Jump to top