Nissan Titan Forum banner

DIY: Rear Window Screen

37K views 64 replies 46 participants last post by  tjdownes 
#1 · (Edited)
Basically, I prefer the windows down vs. A/C. One thing I can't stand is debris flying in from the rear window.

Problem solved with this DIY.
It's easy and inexpensive.
Products were purchased from Lowe's or any hardware store.

Items needed:

Screen (black or charcoal)
Screen frame
Screen frame corners
Screen spline
Velcro (optional)

Tools needed:

Screen tool
Hacksaw
Scissors
Measuring tape
Blade

Step 1:

Cut the screen frame in four pieces
(2) measuring 12"
(2) measuring 28.5"

Step 2:

Attach the screen frame corners

Step 3:

Attach the screen to the frame

Step 4:

Paint the frame flat black to match interior.

End Result (before paint)
*Camera flash caused the screen to look gray... it's really black

End Result (after paint)

Screen and window

Screen and window (halfway)

From outside

The measurements are precise so that you don't need to use Velcro. It's pretty snug.

I placed the screen inside the cabin to protect it from the elements.

Also, I've been known to forget to roll up the rear window. With the screen present, it doesn't look so obvious that the window is open.

Happy Modding!

See less See more
#2 ·
I really needed this thanks...

L

#5 ·
i to rather windows down compared to the ac and i'll definitely be doing this in the summer once im done with baseball and school

Reactions: 25370
#6 ·
Wow! Nice man. This is definately on my list of to do's when I have some free time!

#10 ·
Woah, that's awesome. Tried camping out in the truck cabin last weekend and wanted the windows down but bugs were horrendous. Sweet job, bor.

#11 · (Edited)
I am curious how much force it can take.

For instance, let's roll back to approximately 1996. Back in the day when I had a Ranger extended cab with a manual rear window slider. Beautiful day. Windows down & rear slider opened. Cruising down the road about 50ish enjoying myself when all of a sudden a smashed beer can begins to rattle around. No worries, I will throw it away when I get back home, I thought. Ah yes, my favorite tune is on, let's blare it and "fix" that annoying beer can rattle!

About 5 minutes later, the forces of mother nature and the beer can took an alliance and decided that today, yes today, I would listen to them and hear them very clearly. Totally oblivious to this new formed alliance, I continue to jam out to the cheesy hair band tune at ear piercing levels. Then all of a sudden I feel a gust of air whiz by my head, a slight scratch like I was nicked by a bullet as I catch the most ever so slight glimpse of "something" crashing into my windshield making god awful popping noise creating a heightened sense of awareness I do not think I had ever experienced in my entire life to this point.

After swerving and nearly killing myself & 2 other people, I pull to the side of the road to collect myself (aka "check myself and ensure that indeed I hadn't sh*t myself") and inspect what the h*ll just happened. At this point it becomes rather obvious. So I toss the can in the back of the truck (no, not the bed, the actual extended cab part), pull the slider shut, roll up the windows, turn on the a/c, turned the radio way down so I could hear a frog's fart from 3 miles away and continued on my way.

I am not certain the force such items can create, but I would suggest something a little stronger than velcro....or maybe just to make sure nothing like a crushed beer can ever, ever gets left in the back of your truck. Trust me, since 1996, my truck bed has been beer can free!

#12 ·
That has to be one of the funniest posts I have read in a while....

#14 ·
i had an empty plastic weed wacker string container do the same thing to me ride in the back of the head, didnt fase me much besides the typical "what the ****"

#18 ·
This is awesome....I think I might do this today!

#21 ·
trying not to laugh too loud. im at work in a call center. i know exactly what you are talking about. my kids juice box, beer can, small branches with leaves still on it, etc. this is on my to do list as well.

#24 ·
Just did this and it worked great. A quick 5 mile test drive and I had crap from the bed (leaves and such) plastered against the screen. Only bad thing Ive noticed, is that it greatly reduces the amount of air coming through the cabin. I like to roll with the rear window down, and the moon roof open. I get loads of air and no where near the wind noise associated with having the side windows down. With the screen in place, the wind is cut dramatically. Not enough to make me remove the screen though. :lol:

#27 ·
I think this was the best $19 and 30 minutes I've ever spent on all my trucks. For the 3 years that I've owned this truck I've been more annoyed with the crap flying through the back window than anything. Now this is solved....

I never needed to take my tape measure out as the Measurements were perfect.

THANK YOU

#28 ·
I did this last Saturday afternoon and it took 20 or 30 minutes and the screen fits well.
The wife's been driving the truck all week with the sunroof tilted up and the rear window down. There's a nice breeze and nothing flying around inside the cab.

We were at a friends last week and they commented that their Tundra doesn't have fancy screens! It took a couple of minutes to show them that I made the screen and it's not a factory option. I plan on making one more for another friends Titan and surprise him with a gift.

Thanks for the measurements, it made this very simple to do.

#29 · (Edited)
Instead of using the plastic corner clips:

You can cut the screen frame at 45 degree angles and use what they call "internal corner clips"

Window Screen Corners : QUALITY SCREEN CO, Window Screens & Solar Screen Supplies, Kits & Parts Online

You can see in this picture another type of internal clip with frames that are cut at 45 degree angles:

any local solar screen supply store, or even places like ace hardware/truevalue hardware etc would most likely carry them.

I actually got mine from Quality screen company - the link listed above since i live in DFW. I did this 45 degree angle cuts on all my solar screens on my house. NO plastic corners and the all metal frame with 45's in it looks much cleaner and nicer.

-J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.