will spray on bed liner stick to the the factory bed liner? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
will spray on bed liner stick to the the factory bed liner?

My bed liner has gotten trashed from work....There's dried paint spots from spills everywhere. I'm looking into that herculiner spray on bedliner or something similar. Do you guys think the spray will stick to the factory bed liner or should I just remove the factory and spray on bare metal? thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 SMOKE KING CAB XE
CST 4" spindles Hankook Dynapro MT 37x12.50r17 W/black XD addicts Ionic Dynamics front glass Radflo 2.0 fronts C30 no sway bar Powder coated black billet 2.5"bullet dumped pioneer 6x9s in front and 6.5 infinity's in rear 2 12" shallow mounted rf p3s grille debadged Airaid 4" MXP CAI GO grounding kit viper 5900 alarm with remote start 6k H.I.D.s SPAL door poppers Tint
custom fox/bandana print graphics painted black interior pieces 7" jvc double din
VHT smoked tailights

CURRENTLY TUNING THE TRUCK WITH UPREV!!!

NEXT MODS(IN ORDER)
JBA longtubes(on the pre-order list)
Catless Cajun B-pipes FM ypipe Borla XR-1
4.56 gears/tru trac
MW off-road trac bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM

Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,927 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vilim12
Re: will spray on bed liner stick to the the factory bed liner?

Yea it will stick. Correct me if im wrong but even line-x just sprays over your factory bedliner if you have one?

2008 Nissan Titan Pro-4x CC LWB Smoke

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MODS LIST BELOW

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

alright....I just don't want to buy this stuff for 110.00/gal and then have it not stick! and I don't really want to trash the factory bed liner either...I'm not really familiar with line x i'll google and check it out lol

2006 SMOKE KING CAB XE
CST 4" spindles Hankook Dynapro MT 37x12.50r17 W/black XD addicts Ionic Dynamics front glass Radflo 2.0 fronts C30 no sway bar Powder coated black billet 2.5"bullet dumped pioneer 6x9s in front and 6.5 infinity's in rear 2 12" shallow mounted rf p3s grille debadged Airaid 4" MXP CAI GO grounding kit viper 5900 alarm with remote start 6k H.I.D.s SPAL door poppers Tint
custom fox/bandana print graphics painted black interior pieces 7" jvc double din
VHT smoked tailights

NEXT MODS(IN ORDER)
4.56 gears/tru trac
MW off-road trac bars
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Do you have the factory spray in bedliner or drop in plastic one?

#1 **** R.I.P****Born on 05-04-04 Died on 05-27-09
Titan LE CC 4X4
Big Tow, Offroad packages with E-locker

#2 04 Titan LE CC BT OR E-locker Hypertech max energy DIY airbox mod PAC-Audio IPOD navigation video interface with night vision back up camera 295/70/17 Terra Grapplers Bilstein 5100's all around with 2008 springs up front and lovin it!

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolleyy View Post
Do you have the factory spray in bedliner or drop in plastic one?
Sounds to me like he has the OEM spray bedliner.

I think you will be able to see different colors of the OEM and what you touchup! I would go talk to a line-x dealer and see what your options might be.

Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time,
But always enough time to do it again?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipzach View Post
Sounds to me like he has the OEM spray bedliner.

I think you will be able to see different colors of the OEM and what you touchup! I would go talk to a line-x dealer and see what your options might be.
The reason I ask is because the OP talked about removing the bedliner. Good luck removing the factory spray in bedliner. I used to be partners in a Line-x shop till I sold my share and long story short it took me 2 days to remove a spray in bedliner from a truck that another shop screwed up on. Also Line-x does not stick to plastic very well and will most likely peel right off of a plastic bedliner. I would think herculiner would be the same.

Titan LE CC 4X4

#2 04 Titan LE CC BT OR E-locker Hypertech max energy DIY airbox mod PAC-Audio IPOD navigation video interface with night vision back up camera 295/70/17 Terra Grapplers Bilstein 5100's all around with 2008 springs up front and lovin it!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I have the drop in plastic one. I'm most likely going to remove it and trash it then prep the bed really good and spray 2 coats of herculiner or something similar. I've read nothing but good things about herculiner. Some ppl have said that it peels off but prep is 95% of how the product turns out. So i'm going to go ahead and attempt this lol i'll post up before and after pics

2006 SMOKE KING CAB XE
VHT smoked tailights

NEXT MODS(IN ORDER)
4.56 gears/tru trac
MW off-road trac bars
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREYG00$E View Post
I have the drop in plastic one. I'm most likely going to remove it and trash it then prep the bed really good and spray 2 coats of herculiner or something similar. I've read nothing but good things about herculiner. Some ppl have said that it peels off but prep is 95% of how the product turns out. So i'm going to go ahead and attempt this lol i'll post up before and after pics
My bad I thought you had a factory spray in, yea if you have the drop in go ahead and remove that thing. Sand down VERYYYY good, and apply your product and you should be okay.

MODS LIST BELOW

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilim12 View Post
My bad I thought you had a factory spray in, yea if you have the drop in go ahead and remove that thing. Sand down VERYYYY good, and apply your product and you should be okay.
I might just take the liner out and not spray bed liner on depending on if I like how it looks without bed liner. I don't have to use my truck for work anymore so there's really no need for the liner. I don't know lol i'll pull it this wknd and if I don't like the look I will go ahead with the spray and post pics up for ppl who might want to do this in the future!

2006 SMOKE KING CAB XE
VHT smoked tailights

NEXT MODS(IN ORDER)
4.56 gears/tru trac
MW off-road trac bars
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREYG00$E View Post
I might just take the liner out and not spray bed liner on depending on if I like how it looks without bed liner. I don't have to use my truck for work anymore so there's really no need for the liner. I don't know lol i'll pull it this wknd and if I don't like the look I will go ahead with the spray and post pics up for ppl who might want to do this in the future!
Ive always like the look of having a spray in bed liner compared to no liner or a plastic one, just makes the truck look nicer overall even if your not gonna use it.

MODS LIST BELOW

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 AM

You might be suprised when you remove youre bedliner... paint will probably be rubbed off and rusted in some spots from the drop in liner. And yes, the best way to get herculiner to stay is the prep work. I always did a good sand down/scuff of the bed, then cleaned out with acetone. I did this in the tub of a samuri and rolled the herculiner on... never peeled anywhere.

Titan LE CC 4X4

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolleyy View Post
You might be suprised when you remove youre bedliner... paint will probably be rubbed off and rusted in some spots from the drop in liner. And yes, the best way to get herculiner to stay is the prep work. I always did a good sand down/scuff of the bed, then cleaned out with acetone. I did this in the tub of a samuri and rolled the herculiner on... never peeled anywhere.
you know what guys....the bedliner is sprayed in...im 100% sure lol but the plastic on the tailgate is removable...so im goin to get durabak(herculiner and durabak are the same company i believe) and go to a diy car wash and soak the bed with degreaser, let sit for 15 min then scrub and rinse with high pressure then soak the bed with tsp then scrub then rinse with high pressure then let dry, mask, and spray away lol

2006 SMOKE KING CAB XE
VHT smoked tailights

NEXT MODS(IN ORDER)
4.56 gears/tru trac
MW off-road trac bars
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:01 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

You still need to scuff the surface of the bedliner and wipe it down with acetone. If you don't the herculiner or any spray/roll on liner will peel and bubble.

All that degreaser and car wash stuff will leave a residue in the bed, scuff, wipe and roll or you will be sorry.

2005 Titan KC SE ***Sold 9/6/14***
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Deep Water
2005 Titan CC
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Silver

New Ride
2013 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 CC short bed
5.3L LC9 engine
Heavy duty tow package/cooling
4wd
loaded to the gills
mirrors sucks (for now)

2004 Keystone 24RS

---------------------------------------------------
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane06fl View Post
You still need to scuff the surface of the bedliner and wipe it down with acetone. If you don't the herculiner or any spray/roll on liner will peel and bubble.

All that degreaser and car wash stuff will leave a residue in the bed, scuff, wipe and roll or you will be sorry.
Im not putting any car wash stuff on it....Im using the high pressure rinse AT the car wash...the reason I chose degreaser is because oil has spilled in the back of my truck twice so I wanted to strip all of it and then blast it off with a high pressure rinse. Here are instructions off the durabak site

*I'm not going to roll it on btw*

100 Grit Sand Paper

Rubber Gloves

Metal coating Tray

4" coating Roller Cage

2" coating Brush

Masking Tape

2 Quarts Xylene Solvent

Now You Are Ready to Begin

Scrape out and clean heavy dirt and grime

Remove drain plugs

Mask off mounting bolts, brackets, screw heads, etc.

Mask off areas that are not to be coated with Durabak

Using 100 grit sand paper, abrade all surfaces where Durabak is to be applied, leaving no glossy areas

Blow out or wipe down truck bed or jeep tub, etc removing all sanding dust.

Using rubber gloves, wipe down all sanded areas with xylene (note: do not use lacquer thinner or other solvents)

When Xylene has dried (about 1/2 hour) open the Durabak and stir with an electric drill or coating stick

Pour a portion of the Durabak into the roller tray, cover the can, and begin your application.

Apply first coat as a thin coat to cover. Do not try to "color" coat with the first application; it is ok to have some of the base color show through. The second coat will color coat.

Fill in seams, corners and hard to reach areas with a 2" coating brush and dab the Durabak.

Next apply the Durabak to the side panels.

After the first coat has been applied allow the Durabak time to set up (apprx 1 hour).

Pour a little xylene over the roller pads and brushes to prevent dry out

The second coat can be applied as soon as the first coat is tacky or touch dry (usually about 1 hour).

An optional accelerator packet may be added to hasten the drying and curing process.

Repeat application process for second coat

Remove masking tape immediately after applying the second coat

Allow the Durabak to dry for several hours (more in cold dry conditions and less in warm humid conditions).

Avoid cleaning or chemical exposure for 4 days.

2006 SMOKE KING CAB XE
VHT smoked tailights

NEXT MODS(IN ORDER)
4.56 gears/tru trac
MW off-road trac bars
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

nevermind....I am going to roll in the durabak lol...I wanted to spray it in but in my case, all I want is to cover up the paint stains and not so much as to get function out of the liner.

2006 SMOKE KING CAB XE
VHT smoked tailights

NEXT MODS(IN ORDER)
4.56 gears/tru trac
MW off-road trac bars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top