Wheel Bearing Failure? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:08 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Wheel Bearing Failure?

Does this sound like a bearing is failing? 2004 KC 4x4 with 76,000 miles w/stock tires and rims with even wear on all tires. At all speeds I get a humming noise that sounds the same as if you are in 4high on pavement (definitely not in 4x4), when I turn left the noise is reduced. There is no play in the wheel at all, only the noise. I jacked it up, put in 4high and ran the rpm's to 2000 then listened to both hubs with a stethoscope. The passenger front is quite but the driver front has a definitely noise coming from it.

I took it to a dealer who said the bearings are fine because there is no play in the wheel. I am now being told by another mechanic that the "cartridge" type bearing wont wobble until the last couple hundred miles, then it fails. He also said the noise is what you will notice in the beginning of the bearing starting to fail. The non-dealer mechanic is saying that if the dealer is only trying to "wobble" the wheel to test the bearing then it will appear fine because it isn't to that point yet, but when it does wobble it will fail fast. Does this make any sense??? Not sure if I should change the hub assembly or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:22 AM

Re: Wheel Bearing Failure?

Yup, the races and or rollers are starting to get flat spots on them. its a fairly quick and easy job to replace them.

The very existence of flamethowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves: "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

2006 Galaxy Black CC 4X2, PRG 2.5/1.0 mini lift, Bilstein 5100 struts on front and 5100 shocks on rear, headlight mod, airbox mod, BDGT, Axle Vent Mod, VHT Tails & 3rd Brakelight, GPS Speed Sensor Mod, Royal Purple Oil, Tranny Fluid, Power Steering Fluid, and Purple Ice in the Dual Core All Aluminum CST Radiator.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker 6 View Post
Yup, the races and or rollers are starting to get flat spots on them. its a fairly quick and easy job to replace them.
Thanks for the reply, do I have to change the entire hub assembly?
#4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 06:17 AM

yessir thats your bearings, be ready to replace the pass side soon too they usually go around the same time... I believ the bearings are indeed part of the hub? But that's an educated guess don't quote me on it

'13 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab 4x4 Black on Black
'08 Cummins 2500 QC SWB H&S DeletedSOLD!!!!!
'05 Galaxy LE KC 4x4 BT SOLD!!!!! But Im Still Lurking
MBRP 3.5" Cat Back Single Side Exit, 4" Poilshed Tip (Painted Black) ::PRG Minilift (2"/1.5")
::325/60 18 nitto tg's:: Nav Bezel with Magellan 1700::18X9 XD Monsters 5.71"BS, 18mm Offset::Toyota Tundra mirror lights custom mounted on BT mirrors:: 2* Timing Advance
Padre's T
-2010 Galaxy LE CC 4X4 BT
#5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 10:52 AM

yep it's sold as one unit and it's 138.00 per wheel hope this helps.

Montrose

08.5 Titan Pro4x gray CC, Nismo CAI and cat back, hypetech beta unit 002,stillen front and rear swat bars, PRG shackles.

2013 Challenger 392 SRT8 Plum Crazy Purple Auto Transmission, fully loaded. Mods Arrington CAI, 87mm TB, Mopar strut brace, Diablo tuner, MBRP 3" dual cat back, BT catch can.
Montrose
#6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 AM

normally. you wouldn't have to change the whole front "cartrige". wheel bearing races are made of a hardened steel and ground down to a near perfect finish, as are the roller bearings. Historically, you would pound out the old races and bearings, and replace with new. I can only guess that the Titan front wheel "cartrige" would be the same way. pulling one to find out, or finding someone who has an extra will be the best bet for the answer. front wheel bearings are not hard at all.

The very existence of flamethowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves: "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

2006 Galaxy Black CC 4X2, PRG 2.5/1.0 mini lift, Bilstein 5100 struts on front and 5100 shocks on rear, headlight mod, airbox mod, BDGT, Axle Vent Mod, VHT Tails & 3rd Brakelight, GPS Speed Sensor Mod, Royal Purple Oil, Tranny Fluid, Power Steering Fluid, and Purple Ice in the Dual Core All Aluminum CST Radiator.

Last edited by Nightstalker 6; 06-23-2010 at 05:08 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker 6 View Post
normally. you wouldn't have to change the whole front "cartrige". wheel bearing races are made of a hardened steel and ground down to a near perfect finish, as are the roller bearings. Historically, you would pound out the old races and bearings, and replace with new. I can only guess that the Titan front wheel "cartrige" would be the same way. pulling one to find out, or finding someone who has an extra will be the best bet for the answer. front wheel bearings are not hard at all.
finding someone who has an extra will be the best bet for the answer link

Jump to top