Block Heater for Nissan Titan - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Block Heater for Nissan Titan

All,

Just went to get the price of a block heater for the 5.6 in preparation for the cold A winter I'm getting ready to have in North Dakota..

The biggest shop in town that everyone uses and suggests says Nissan doesn't have a block heater for the 5.6 and they will not put any in it. They recommended an oil pan heater and battery blanket instead which I know would be fine.

Why would Nissan not have a block heater for the 5.6?

Thanks

08 White CC, SE, 4x2, De-badged, Factory tow hitch, Splashguards, 20% Tint, AVS Bug Deflector, Rhino lined, Extang Tuff Tonno, AMSOIL 0W-30, 40,000 Miles, Bully-Dogged and S&B intake

Pioneer DEH-P7800MP, Rockford Fosgate Punch P5002, 2 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 2 DVC, Custom RF box built by Tech12volt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Re: Block Heater for Nissan Titan

Maybe Nissan doesn't feel like they need one ???? You should be good with just using 0-30 WT oil and a battery blanket.

08 Pro-4x moonroof,Tow,DVD,SWB,BullyDog Pup,Banks Monster Exahust, Brute Force intake, Total Chaos UCA's,Tuff Country 1.5" leveling kit,1" rear blocks, PWM, Radiator ByPass Mod,Bilstein 5100's,Limo Tint,325/65R18 Goodyear Duratracs,Black 18x9 5.71", +18mm, Rims,

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Premium User

Thanked 3,366 Times in 2,232 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Nissan block heater part# 999M1-UJ003

BLOCK HEAT :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:02 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Block heaters are extremely common in Diesels, but in the Oil Passages in the ones I am around. Some suggest that a Block Heater in the Coolant will lead to dielectric issues later affecting the electrical sensors. I don't know the truth of this, but figured it will at least add some drama.

Personally, I'd love to get this Nissan Block Heater, just for those few extreme nights in the 20's or teens that do occur every winter.

2006 XE CC Pref Pkg BT with AEM Brute Force CAI, PowerAid TB Spacer, TB Reversed Valve ByPass Mod, 2007+ Intake, JBA Headers, MagnaFlow 24" Muffler, 2008+ Rear Axle, Stillen: F & R Sway Bars, Black Diff Cover, Engine Dress Up Kit, 4 pc StreetScene SS Mesh Grille, PRG End Links, Street Traction Bars & Shackles, UpRev Osiris Tuner 93 Performance Tuned, 18" SE Rims, Functional Hood Scoop ...

IRC VK56 Member "Special Operations"

MD Chapter Director
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,923 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vilim12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanBlue View Post
Block heaters are extremely common in Diesels, but in the Oil Passages in the ones I am around. Some suggest that a Block Heater in the Coolant will lead to dielectric issues later affecting the electrical sensors. I don't know the truth of this, but figured it will at least add some drama.

Personally, I'd love to get this Nissan Block Heater, just for those few extreme nights in the 20's or teens that do occur every winter.
I was gonna say that, its mostly seen in Diesels. My dads F350 has a household plug in right under the front bumper. You should be fine with a thinner oil and a battery blanket to keep it alive.

2008 Nissan Titan Pro-4x CC LWB Smoke
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Premium User

iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Even the newer Diesels are rated to start at like -20* without being plugged in , they just need the Intake Grid Heater or Glow plugs to ignite the fuel.

08 Pro-4x moonroof,Tow,DVD,SWB,BullyDog Pup,Banks Monster Exahust, Brute Force intake, Total Chaos UCA's,Tuff Country 1.5" leveling kit,1" rear blocks, PWM, Radiator ByPass Mod,Bilstein 5100's,Limo Tint,325/65R18 Goodyear Duratracs,Black 18x9 5.71", +18mm, Rims,

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 PM

A block heater certainly will not hurt anything. My truck did not even flinch at -18 F. I would have plugged in a block heater that day if I had one.

There is a thread on here about the coldest temp people have fired their Titans in. Some of our Canadian and Alaskan brothers had some impressive numbers.

Essentially Stock 2006 SE 4WD with Bilstein HD's
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Follow up.. I got in touch with the nearest Nissan service department "Bismarck Nissan". They stated Nissan doesn't recommend a block heater install due to our Aluminum blocks.. Service tech said all Nissan's sold in North Dakota, which has a negative 35 degree F record low receive the oil pan heater, sticks right to the oil pan.

08 White CC, SE, 4x2, De-badged, Factory tow hitch, Splashguards, 20% Tint, AVS Bug Deflector, Rhino lined, Extang Tuff Tonno, AMSOIL 0W-30, 40,000 Miles, Bully-Dogged and S&B intake

Pioneer DEH-P7800MP, Rockford Fosgate Punch P5002, 2 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 2 DVC, Custom RF box built by Tech12volt.
The Following User Says Thank You to HemiETR For This Useful Post:
baseballfanz (08-10-2010)
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 05:09 PM

I just installed one on my 06 titan. Car Quest in Cut Bank MT got it for me and very easy to install..and the engine loves me for it. 30mm block heater. Take the engine plug out screw the heater in that simple...
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiETR View Post
All,

Just went to get the price of a block heater for the 5.6 in preparation for the cold A winter I'm getting ready to have in North Dakota..

The biggest shop in town that everyone uses and suggests says Nissan doesn't have a block heater for the 5.6 and they will not put any in it. They recommended an oil pan heater and battery blanket instead which I know would be fine.

Why would Nissan not have a block heater for the 5.6?

Thanks
Call a Nissan dealership in Anchorage or Fairbanks, AK - they will mail it to you. I had no luck finding it online. It is where I got mine; I am moving up there next month. I currently live in GA and when you call around here, their response is, "What part of the heater do you need?" or after I finally get them to understand what it is I need - "They don't make that for that truck."

I bought the whole winter package for $160ish with shipping, but I think just the block heater with power cord is around $60-70.

It goes in the block on the passenger side behind the alternator. You can get to it from underneath the truck fairly easy. It is a 12mm hex nut that needs to be screwed out. If you round the nut out like I did, you can get a small air hammer up in there to screw it out.

Last edited by adam1981; 01-08-2011 at 05:39 PM.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 05:46 PM

Thanked 2,584 Times in 1,634 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1981 View Post
Call a Nissan dealership in Anchorage or Fairbanks, AK - they will mail it to you. I had no luck finding it online. It is where I got mine; I am moving up there next month. I currently live in GA and when you call around here, their response is, "What part of the heater do you need?" or after I finally get them to understand what it is I need - "They don't make that for that truck."

I bought the whole winter package for $160ish with shipping, but I think just the block heater with power cord is around $60-70.
When I lived up there they had a program in Anchorage that you could sign up for, it was limited to a certain number of applicants. Too many people starting there cars early to warm them up, they wanted to cut down on the exhaust for the air quality test . $25 for a block heater installed and you got an extension cord and a timer. I signed up and had one put in my F-150 (also aluminum block, hmmm).

No garage to park it in HemiETR? I just had an garage heater installed this fall, keeps it nice and warm, although my electric bill went up $40 bucks last month

2010 Titan 4x4 CC SE Majestic Blue
Uprev tuned by Seymore, 18" Magnaflow muffler, Airaid MXP 4" CAI, Custom Grounding kit by FAK.
8" Boston acoustic's sub in Tech12volts ported box w 1000 w renegade amp
Autostart remote start, bedlined OEM wheels, bumpers, and grill. Go Rhino D2 steps.
5000k HID's, super bright LED reverse lights, blue interior LED's, and white exterior LED's.
Smoke hood shield and in channel window deflectors
Armada Air Dam, 22" double row light bar
Leer 100R Topper, Goodyear Duratracs 275/70/18,
Rough Country UCA's, 1.5" front spacer, Bilstein 5100's/5125's, 1.5" rear block.

Last edited by FishnAlaska; 01-09-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: sp
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnAlaska View Post
When I lived up there they had a program in Anchorage that you could sign up for, it was limited to a certain number of applicants. Too many people starting there cars early to warm them up, they wanted to cut down on the exhaust for the air quality test . $25 for a block heater installed and you got an extension cord and a timer. I signed up and had one put in my F-150 (also aluminum block, hmmm).

No garage to park it in Hemi eater? I just had an garage heater installed this fall, keeps it nice and warm, although my electric bill went up $40 bucks last month

FishnAlaska,

Yes garage to park in with 240V heater. Keeps the garage between 60-70F even when outside temps around -10F. Since I keep the T in the garage I haven't done anything different. No block, plug in heater's anywhere. I have always ran AMSOIL 0W-30 anyway. Truck has done fine..

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Thanked 2,584 Times in 1,634 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiETR View Post
Follow up.. I got in touch with the nearest Nissan service department "Bismarck Nissan". They stated Nissan doesn't recommend a block heater install due to our Aluminum blocks.. Service tech said all Nissan's sold in North Dakota, which has a negative 35 degree F record low receive the oil pan heater, sticks right to the oil pan.
I think the dealership is full of crap, block heaters will not heat your engine even close to normal running temps. When I plugged my F150 in while living in Anchorage, I would start it up and the temp did not even register on the gauge and cold air still came through the heater vents. I would get warm air within 2-3 minutes of idle or driving, even when it was below 0. Just bought my T from Bismarck Nissan at the end of October, while I had a good experience during the purchase, I didn't get a oil pan heater.

2010 Titan 4x4 CC SE Majestic Blue
Uprev tuned by Seymore, 18" Magnaflow muffler, Airaid MXP 4" CAI, Custom Grounding kit by FAK.
8" Boston acoustic's sub in Tech12volts ported box w 1000 w renegade amp
Autostart remote start, bedlined OEM wheels, bumpers, and grill. Go Rhino D2 steps.
5000k HID's, super bright LED reverse lights, blue interior LED's, and white exterior LED's.
Smoke hood shield and in channel window deflectors
Armada Air Dam, 22" double row light bar
Leer 100R Topper, Goodyear Duratracs 275/70/18,
Rough Country UCA's, 1.5" front spacer, Bilstein 5100's/5125's, 1.5" rear block.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 03:40 PM

your right that dealership if full of ****, hurting the block? Thats crazy talk you could plug it in 100 degrees and it wouldnt hurt, just wouldnt kick in thats all, and having warm fluid on a start up sounds like a good idea in my truck....just sayn
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Its funny seeing all the southren guys talking about block heaters and how foreing it is to you. North Dakota gets cold real COLD and I can't blame ya for wanting one!! -24 today where we were ice fishing in northren MN. The new diesels still struggle with these temps-most guys leave em running at restaurants and such. There were 5 trucks left running at the little bar we ate at and the guys that slept in their ice house all had them plugged into generators. Block heaters are great-even when you know the truck will start without it. Easier on the truck! Only took two pulls for the snowmobile to fire!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top