Power Steering Pipe-hose leak - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 03:15 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Pipe-hose leak

Iíve been able to trace the metal pipe to the power steering reservoir and the fluid, which has leaked out, does have a slight reddish color (see picture of paper towel).

I only noticed a drip on the bottom of the skid plate; no drops were present on the ground. The level of the power steering fluid is still between the Min & Max indicators.

There appears to be a rubber mount for the oil filter drip plate, which covers these 2 pipes. To me it looks like the leak is coming from under this rubber mount or possibly from the connection between the rubber hose and the solid metal pipe.

Has anyone else had a leak in this area, if so was it in the metal pipe or at the clamp?

My truck is a 2006 with 46k miles is this something that is covered under warranty if I took it to the dealer?

Has anyone found an alternative power steering fluid which meets the Nissan specs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak Location.JPG
Views:	3539
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	108311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paper Towle.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	108312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skid Plate.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	108313  

2006 LE KC 4X4 BT, Radiant Silver
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Scan Gauge II
Firestone Air Springs
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's
A.R.E. Z-Series Cap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Re: Power Steering Pipe-hose leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thclimer View Post
Iíve been able to trace the metal pipe to the power steering reservoir and the fluid, which has leaked out, does have a slight reddish color (see picture of paper towel).

I only noticed a drip on the bottom of the skid plate; no drops were present on the ground. The level of the power steering fluid is still between the Min & Max indicators.

There appears to be a rubber mount for the oil filter drip plate, which covers these 2 pipes. To me it looks like the leak is coming from under this rubber mount or possibly from the connection between the rubber hose and the solid metal pipe.

Has anyone else had a leak in this area, if so was it in the metal pipe or at the clamp?

My truck is a 2006 with 46k miles is this something that is covered under warranty if I took it to the dealer?

Has anyone found an alternative power steering fluid which meets the Nissan specs?

I think I have the same problem..except it looks like my leak is comming from the bottom side of the oil filter mount assy..what ever the part is called where the filter mounts to the motor. I hope its the same leak as yours...lol

Couple weeks ago I had to add Powersteering fluid the reservoir was a little low.

SEMPER FI
WAR EAGLE!

Mods: Cortex, Volant, FM40, PRG stuff, HID's, Some Audio stuff that makes my mirrors useless, 35" Toyo AT2's, some big bright lights on a one off bar, some paint on an engine cover, some window tint, Some 09', 08' parts, some fancy blue ground wires that dont do nuthin, and some other crap.
Happiness Is Beating Bama in Anything, Anytime, Anywhere

The 2nd Amendment... Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, He shot them.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,882 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsbro23 View Post
I think I have the same problem..except it looks like my leak is comming from the bottom side of the oil filter mount assy..what ever the part is called where the filter mounts to the motor. I hope its the same leak as yours...lol

Couple weeks ago I had to add Powersteering fluid the reservoir was a little low.
The oil filter mounts to an oil cooler. If that is leaking, it can mix oil with the anti-freeze (and vice versa), so if that was leaking, I would fix it ASAP.

On the power steering piping, it looks like there are some crappy spring clamps (49729) that might leak and could probably be replaced by screw type hose clamps w/o much problem.

497 Power Steering Piping :: Steering :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Titan Parts (A60) 2004-2011 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

#4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:28 AM

Mine is still leaking. I did change the one spring clamp to a screw type clamp, which was close to the location where I suspect the leak is, however that did not stop the leak. My Titan goes to a local Mechanic tomorrow to replace the front passenger wheel bearing/hub. Iím going to have him take a look at the power steering leak when he has it up on the lift.

Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Scan Gauge II
Firestone Air Springs
A.R.E. Z-Series Cap
#5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:21 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Leaks with the High Pressure Power Steering Hose are a common issue. Have a Hydraulic shop make a new hose if needed, it should be superior quality to OEM.

2006 XE CC Pref Pkg BT with AEM Brute Force CAI, PowerAid TB Spacer, TB Reversed Valve ByPass Mod, 2007+ Intake, JBA Headers, MagnaFlow 24" Muffler, 2008+ Rear Axle, Stillen: F & R Sway Bars, Black Diff Cover, Engine Dress Up Kit, 4 pc StreetScene SS Mesh Grille, PRG End Links, Street Traction Bars & Shackles, UpRev Osiris Tuner 93 Performance Tuned, 18" SE Rims, Functional Hood Scoop ...

IRC VK56 Member "Special Operations"

MD Chapter Director
#6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:22 PM

If it's leaking from the low pressure (return side) at the support bracket it likely is to be leaking in the same as mine was. Road salt and dirt got trapped in between the rubber and aluminum tubing and a pinhole was formed, thus the source of my leak. My remedy was a section of fuel tubing the same length as the factory aluminum tubing with double ended connectors to connect it to the factory rubber hose. I zip-tied the rubber tubing nearly in the same location, tightened the clamps, bled the air out of the P/S system and everything was as good as new. That was my problem and solution. I believe the fuel tubing I used was 3/8 inch.
The Following User Says Thank You to dktitan For This Useful Post:
GreyStorm (10-16-2013)
#7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 AM

Re: Power Steering Pipe-hose leak (Up-Date)

Found the problem. It was the high-pressure metal tubing leaking from under the rubber isolator/ clamp to the right of the oil filter. It appears there was some type of corrosion in that area which created a small pinhole leak.

Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Scan Gauge II
Firestone Air Springs
A.R.E. Z-Series Cap
#8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 PM

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,463 Posts
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Bumping this up for some quick help. Mine is leaking from the exact location as the OP. It's directly under the rubber isolator piece. Anyone know a quick fix? Could I attach fuel line with clamps onto the OEM aluminum line?

PS: See 1st pic on the original post. That's the spot

Also how the HE## do I get that stupid rubber piece with the gay clamp off? I was out there for 30 minutes with no luck.

2006 4X4 SE, 3.36 GEARS (GODZILLA TITAN)
Performance Mods:
4" PROTO4 CAI
07 Intake Manifold
Doug Thorley LT's
2.5"/3" Y Pipe Exhaust
E85 Uprev Tuned
170* Nissan Thermostat
Flex A Lite 4500 CFM Efan
IAT Resistor Mod
Throttle Body Bypass
Street Belt (Short Belt)

60' 1.85
1/8 8.65 @ 78.7 MPH
1/4 13.63 @ 97.8 MPH

Last edited by deerslayer; 03-12-2013 at 04:52 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 AM

Mine did the exact same thing a while ago, what a PITA to replace. Not too sure on how well your fuel line idea would work, it would really depend on if your leaking on the pressure or return side, return side you should be ok, pressure side not so much. There are 2 small bolts holding that bracket/clamp onto the crossmember, once you get those off you've got to bend the the snot out of it to get it open enough to remove it and the rubber.

If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them
2006 Titan SE Crew Cab 4x4 Off-Road
Majestic Blue w/ Graphite & Gray Cloth
Utlity Bed Pkg, Big Tow Pkg

The Mod List

#10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
PRJ

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Mines been leaking for 4 years. I've never fixed it. Dealer wants $300 or something. It's not leaking enough to matter. Just a seep.
#11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 02:18 PM

DK titan I had the same problem and did exactly what you wrote worked perfect! make sure to top off the PS fluid after replacing the lines!
#12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 03:35 PM

Thanked 1,191 Times in 870 Posts

Reviving an old thread. On the garage floor yesterday, I noticed a 2" diameter wet spot of power steering fluid directly under the frame rail and forward of the front passenger tire. After close examination and cleaning, the small leak is coming from the LOW pressure power steering metal return line, right where the tube bracket mounts to the top of the frame rail on the passenger side. I suspect road salt and dirt caused some corrosion to form inside the rubber isolator that holds the metal line inside the bracket.

I thought for sure it had to be a high pressure line or a leak at the banjo coupling, but that is not the case. Nissan doesn't sell that section of metal return line by itself, and there is no part number that I could find just for that return line.

After a call to the local Nissan dealer today, he confirmed that they only sell a complete power steering hose and tube kit (part# 49710-9FEOA). The kit comes complete with the high pressure lines, banjo, low pressure lines, pressure sensor, clamps, metal mounting brackets and rubber isolators. They charged $127 for the kit, which I thought was very reasonable considering the pressure sensor alone lists for $80. I'll have left over spare lines and parts for future use if necessary.

Here's a picture of the complete assembly that I bought. I borrowed the pic from an Ebay seller.

Chicago area 05 KC SE 4x2 FFV, smoke, 2.94 gearing. Mods: Hypertech Max Energy, JBA catback, Airaid 4" MXP CAI, Hellwig HD traction springs, 08 rear shackles, Nasta nerf bars, Kenwood KSC-SW1 powered sub. Best full street trim (5120#) 1/4 mile track time of 14.632 running Bully Dog 87+2 and S&B CAI. 1/8 mile 9.30@74.49 with a 2.11 60'.

Last edited by sudden urge; 03-22-2014 at 04:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sudden urge For This Useful Post:
Tracy Vance (03-26-2014)
#13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 PM

Location: 18 miles north east of Saint Louis Mo on Illinois side

I'm having the same issue as you Sudden Urge. Thanks for the info. I'll check on the kit as well.
#14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I bought the high pressure house on rock auto for 40bucks after shipping. I say u got a good deal for all of that . I wish i would have dine that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:52 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudden urge View Post
Reviving an old thread. On the garage floor yesterday, I noticed a 2" diameter wet spot of power steering fluid directly under the frame rail and forward of the front passenger tire. After close examination and cleaning, the small leak is coming from the LOW pressure power steering metal return line, right where the tube bracket mounts to the top of the frame rail on the passenger side. I suspect road salt and dirt caused some corrosion to form inside the rubber isolator that holds the metal line inside the bracket.

I thought for sure it had to be a high pressure line or a leak at the banjo coupling, but that is not the case. Nissan doesn't sell that section of metal return line by itself, and there is no part number that I could find just for that return line.

After a call to the local Nissan dealer today, he confirmed that they only sell a complete power steering hose and tube kit (part# 49710-9FEOA). The kit comes complete with the high pressure lines, banjo, low pressure lines, pressure sensor, clamps, metal mounting brackets and rubber isolators. They charged $127 for the kit, which I thought was very reasonable considering the pressure sensor alone lists for $80. I'll have left over spare lines and parts for future use if necessary.

Here's a picture of the complete assembly that I bought. I borrowed the pic from an Ebay seller.

Did you install the kit yet? How difficult was it?

Jump to top