What brand oil does Nissan/ Nissan dealers use in the Titan? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 02:56 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What brand oil does Nissan/ Nissan dealers use in the Titan?

Just wondering so when I go change my oil...

What brand oil does Nissan/ Nissan dealers use in the Titan?
Does Castrol sound right?
Thanks,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:00 PM

Don't know what the factory fill is but most nissan dealers in my area use valvoline , therefore i'll be bringing my own oil.

04 Titan CC,BT,OR,4X4, 5333lbs, 15.42@88.79mph stock
Zoomers catback, 2* timing advance
#3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:10 PM

My dealer uses Castrol 10W30, but I'm sure this will vary among dealers.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 04:04 PM

My dealer uses Valvoline. I know many folks are brand loyal, but I have a theory that if you maintain your car at the recommended intervals it really doesn't matter what brand you use. All oils protect about the same up until 3,000 and then begin to lose their lubricating qualities the longer it stays in.

'04 SE KC
Radiant Silver
RF w/ Captains
Off Road
Utility Bed Package
Big Tow Package
#5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 04:20 PM

My dealer used Valvoline...I too will either bring my own or start changing my own oil.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 04:20 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
I think my deale uses castrol but then they can say one thing and use crap oil for all I know lol
#7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 04:31 PM

Thats very true but when you can get an oil that will perform past 3k for less or the same cost as the oil that is spent at 3k it becomes a no brainer on what to use. All oils have to meet there particular classification, some barely meet the minum requirements and some grossly exceed these specs. Any SL rated oil is gonna give you the required protection for 3k miles after that point you should be confident in what you have in there. Oil really isn't something you want to be a brand loyal guy with, they change there formula's rather often, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worst. Also some oil's perform better in different engines than others as well, the UOA that Badtitan posted on bobistheoilguy goes to show that you can't go wrong with the chevron supreme 5w-30 in this engine, at 99 cents a qt. you won't empty the wallet either and will have no problems making it to the recommended 3750 OCI.

#8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 05:41 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to goathead
i actually called my favorite nissan stealer and asked. they said valvoline. so thats what i bought. i changed the oil in my TITAN @ 1500 miles. no problem. then it was time to change the oil in my pathfinder that the dealer had been changing up till now. they used some P.O.S. oil filter. not even a nissan filter. it said "CHAMP" on it.

so moral of the story is: they'll tell you something, but take it w/ a grain of salt. who knows what kind of oil they really put in. (probably old recycled oil, lol)

steve

steve

Born 02/04-Smoke CC SE 4x4-OR-BT
K&N® FIPK-LEER® 100R TOPPER-NCD® 4x4 Level Kit-
2nd set GoRhino® Dominator II™Nerf Bars-RUSTED ALSO- Uprev Tuned
Arizona Differential DANA 60 Conversion-JBA Long Tube Headers
Cajun Catted Bpipes-JBA Y-Pipe-BorlaXR-1 Muffler-Ultra Quiet Resonator
MID-MISSOURI'S FINEST FLOAT TUBE ASSOCIATION
#9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 05:52 PM

The two Nissan dealers that I've been to, as well as my old Honda dealer, all use Valvoline. So I use Valvoline. Years ago, Consumer Reports did a million mile study of mixed city and highway driving by New York cabs using different types of oil. They found no differences between the different brands, and between natural and synthetic.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 06:09 PM

mine too
they def. use valvoline 5w 30
7 QUARTS!
they give you a free car wash and vacum it out too for less than 34 dollars with tax and fees.
way to go landers!!!!!!
#11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 10:31 PM

I just had my first oil change:
Valvoline SynPower! What a difference! All these years of using Mobil-1 in the Toy&Lex, and now I'm sold on this Valvo. product.($50 and worth every penny).

#12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:17 AM

Oh boy I don't know where to start or whether its worth trying to talk you folks out of valvoline. Between Mobil 1 and valv. synpower there is no comparison, mobil 1 uses superior PAO base stock where as valvoline synth. isn't really a synthetic at all, its a group III oil, which is ok but is not on the same level as mobil 1, redline, amsoil, royal purple etc., castrol syntec is the same, a group 3 oil, priced like a PAO synthetic guess they have to figure out how to pay for those commericials. I'm not saying group III oil is bad oil, its better than traditional dino but can really confuse the customer. Someone might think that because there buddy was able to go with 10k mile intervals with mobil 1, that they can with there syntec, which wouldn't be a good idea. The consumer reports test was a laugher at best, where the higer quality oils shine and show there real value is in extended drains, the 3poncho's test using mobil 1 showed thru UOA's that the oil was still performing up to the 18k miles mark in an LS1 camaro, try that with a dino. If your gonna change your oil every 3K it really doesn't matter what SL rated oil you use, just be aware thouigh that some are better than others. I will be using Chevoron supreme 5w-30, why you might ask, cause its already shown to produce minimal wear in this engine already as well as many others, also on virgin anaylisis shows a very robust additive pack, this is were valvoline is very weak.

#13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 12:54 PM

As for getting a free car wash after an oil change, the first dealer I went to (Arlington Nissan in Buffalo Grove, IL) had one of those old-fashioned car washes with the spinning brushes. I couldn't believe my eyes.
#14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 02:00 PM

Well Supra, I was basing my opinion on how the truck runs after the oil change and was not aware of the inferiority of the Valvoline.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll stay with the good ole reliable Mobil-1.

P.S. Albert, JUST SAY NO TO DEALER WASHING YOUR TRUCK!(if you care about your paint job).

#15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 02:44 PM

My dealer uses Quaker State.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top