7 pin tow connector? Splice in? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
7 pin tow connector? Splice in?

Adding Tailgate light bar. Will hard wire it. Looking for a way to splice into the 7 pin tow connector without compromising the actual wire with the snap together Splices that cut through the original insulation. Can the 7 pin connector be taken apart to pigtail the wires together and reinsert 1 wire back int the original spot? Searched and found lots of posts but none actually said how the splices were being made. I am guessing all are just using the quick clip Splicers?
Thanks in advance if anyone has an answer.

05 LE CC 4x4, Big Tow, XM, Tinted windows, Chrome 18" QX 56 wheels,Bridgestone Revo AT tires, Stainless Chromed Westin Bull Bar, 4PC APS alluminum billet grill, Stainless exhaust tip, PRG leveling kit, PRG modified Bilstein rear shocks, Air Lift 1000 rear suspension leveling kit with Load Controler II inflation system, Lund Genesis Trifold Tonneau, Stampede Bug Shield, EGR in channel window vent visors,Power Tailgate Mod, IPCW LED Tailgate Light Bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:01 AM

Re: 7 pin tow connector? Splice in?

I went behind the connector when I installed mine. I just skinned the wire (don't cut it!) twisted the wire over the existing wire and soldered it in place. Then I electrical taped it up and tucked it back into the wire loom. Did it that way on both my Titans and I've never had a problem. And you leave the 7 pin connector free for towing.

[

Last edited by HudsonValleyTitan; 12-28-2010 at 01:58 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like the best option. I thought about using the quick splice plastic clips supplied with the kit but they are so bulky they would never go back in loom. Just wondering if there were options?

05 LE CC 4x4, Big Tow, XM, Tinted windows, Chrome 18" QX 56 wheels,Bridgestone Revo AT tires, Stainless Chromed Westin Bull Bar, 4PC APS alluminum billet grill, Stainless exhaust tip, PRG leveling kit, PRG modified Bilstein rear shocks, Air Lift 1000 rear suspension leveling kit with Load Controler II inflation system, Lund Genesis Trifold Tonneau, Stampede Bug Shield, EGR in channel window vent visors,Power Tailgate Mod, IPCW LED Tailgate Light Bar.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

All done. Did same as HudsonValleyTitan. Skinned tow connector wires and soldered new light bar wires, re taped and tucked back in loom.
Not the 10 minute stick it to truck and plug into tow connector but looks much better.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 PM

Post some pics if you can. I am thinking od getting one myself and would love to see how it turned out.

2006 Titan LE
Big Tow, Leather,

2009 KIA Sedona
2006 Flagastaff 523 pop-up camper (gone)
2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23 LB

Mods
K&N Drop in filter
Air box mod
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Sylvannia SilverStar low beams
Sylvannia SilverStar fog lights
Sirius Sportster 5
Ventshade Ventvisors
Ventshade Hood deflector
LED Interior

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

do you have any pictures of how and where you spliced it in? ill be doing this very soon! any help is great thanks!

TINA, 2005 4x4.
some off road stuff,some exhaust stuff,some sterio stuff, some bright lights, some bedlined stuff,some tinted stuff,some preformance stuff, some custom stuff!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 AM

Does the light bar interfere with dropping the spare?

2008 SE KCLB -- Before and After Dyno Chart
Banks CAI & ME -- Video of Dyno Run w/ Banks

WTB: Utili Track Rails

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:07 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

no it goes just under the hole for the tool to drop the spare.

TINA, 2005 4x4.
some off road stuff,some exhaust stuff,some sterio stuff, some bright lights, some bedlined stuff,some tinted stuff,some preformance stuff, some custom stuff!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 PM

Garage

funny how you can come across exactly what you need when you need it without really searching. I have mine plugged in right now but looking to clean up the instal for sure. Mine i had to dremel out some plastic so i can still get to the spare lowering hole now the piece of crap light bar shorts all the time i had to mount it just the way it likes it otherwise i cant count on it being on. People dont like VHT tailights and a light bar that shorts out hahaha.

2inch level-33'' trail grapplers-20'' kmc shilo's-bushwaker extenda fenders-banks intake-banks monster exhuast-30 percent tint-bullydog gt tuner-fog lights front and back-7 inch screen-reverse camera-12 inch sub with amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top