CNG conversion - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Registered User
 
scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: HOLLYWOOD FL
Posts: 1,046
Thanks: 44
Thanked 193 Times in 136 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to scorpion
CNG conversion

Did you guys ever thought of converting your truck to CNG?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

2012 PRO4X CC BLIZZARD WHITE

LED interior 4"AIRAIDE intake 8000k HID

Volant exhaust Memphis 500w amp

Tec12volt under seat sub XD RockStars 18"

Bilsteins 5100 on all 4 corners

scorpion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered User
 
thad5515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Windber, PA
Posts: 1,420
Thanks: 380
Thanked 263 Times in 179 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: CNG conversion

Will be interesting to follow this one, I like the thought.

PA Chapter

07 Crew Radiant Silver, 2" PRG leveling kit, InSys USA CAI, 22"Magna Flow dual in/dual out, axle vent mod, fog light mod, 50% front tint
LED turn/brake/3rd brake lights, Recon Line of Fire tailgate bar, MaxGuard Spray in bed liner, Tonneau Masters Slant-Side cover
Falco Engine Bay Light Mod Kit, Gimmie Light Bed Kit
.45 Reasons to try to car jack someone else!!

Not as much as some....but I'm working on it.
thad5515 is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Registered User
 
007KING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CENTRAL FLORIDA
Posts: 167
Thanks: 59
Thanked 42 Times in 29 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: CNG conversion

what the hell is CNG?
007KING is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member
 
bills1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 36,474
Thanks: 10,508
Thanked 9,199 Times in 5,693 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bills1974
Re: CNG conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007KING View Post
what the hell is CNG?
Compressed Natural Gas

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Cowl Done With Bedliner
Radiator Bypassed - Transmission Fluid
Wife's Ride: 2014 Infiniti Q50 S
My Other Ride: 2007 Sea Doo Speedster 200


AKA: Crossdresser Whore™
The Bald Avenger®

"It's really bad when I have to go into the fridge to count how many beers I had last night because I lost track."
"Why is the rum always gone?"

bills1974 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered User
 
Bhudda454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Woodlands, TX
Posts: 1,859
Thanks: 40
Thanked 151 Times in 101 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Bhudda454
Re: CNG conversion

Not sure if there would bean advantage to it. I know when people used to covert to LNG it was to get cheaper cleaner burn. That isn't the case now due to huge price jump. Not sure how much CNG runs, but if like propane you will lose money from the word go.

SOLD2008 Crew Cab SE Long bed 4x4
2011 Kia Sorento AWD - UAV Predator
OLD HOTNESS

NEW SEXY
Bhudda454 is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered User
 
scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: HOLLYWOOD FL
Posts: 1,046
Thanks: 44
Thanked 193 Times in 136 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to scorpion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhudda454 View Post
Not sure if there would bean advantage to it. I know when people used to covert to LNG it was to get cheaper cleaner burn. That isn't the case now due to huge price jump. Not sure how much CNG runs, but if like propane you will lose money from the word go.
I drove today a dodge grand caravan don't ask me why the guy did it but the minivan drives perfect and it costs him something like 2$ a galon


Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

2012 PRO4X CC BLIZZARD WHITE

LED interior 4"AIRAIDE intake 8000k HID

Volant exhaust Memphis 500w amp

Tec12volt under seat sub XD RockStars 18"

Bilsteins 5100 on all 4 corners

scorpion is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered User
 
scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: HOLLYWOOD FL
Posts: 1,046
Thanks: 44
Thanked 193 Times in 136 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to scorpion
I know in Europe a lot of people do it


Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

2012 PRO4X CC BLIZZARD WHITE

LED interior 4"AIRAIDE intake 8000k HID

Volant exhaust Memphis 500w amp

Tec12volt under seat sub XD RockStars 18"

Bilsteins 5100 on all 4 corners

scorpion is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: CNG conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Did you guys ever thought of converting your truck to CNG?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
It burns cleaner, the engine may last longer, the price may be cheaper in some areas BUT...you lose 15-25% of your gas mileage, the conversion for OBDII equipped vehicles is relatively expensive and there is some loss of power reported by users.

To answer your question: No, I never thought of converting.

If it has Tits or Tires, it'll cost ya
arcitech1 is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered User
 
Bhudda454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Woodlands, TX
Posts: 1,859
Thanks: 40
Thanked 151 Times in 101 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Bhudda454
Re: CNG conversion

LPG is about 75% as efficient as gas. Your power and mileage are far worse. That is another fear I would have for CNG. Not to mention how easy is it to get? Hard to even find E-85 here, and we have the major refineries.

SOLD2008 Crew Cab SE Long bed 4x4
2011 Kia Sorento AWD - UAV Predator
OLD HOTNESS

NEW SEXY
Bhudda454 is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: CNG conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcitech1 View Post
It burns cleaner, the engine may last longer, the price may be cheaper in some areas BUT...you lose 15-25% of your gas mileage, the conversion for OBDII equipped vehicles is relatively expensive and there is some loss of power reported by users.

To answer your question: No, I never thought of converting.
I may be mistaken about the mileage issue, but the cost is equal to 1400 gallons of gas at my local price. If LNG was 2.00 then:

Gas: 5400/3.69=1463Gal. @ 17.2 avg MPG=25170miles driven for my $$$

LNG: 5400.00 for conversion +1400Gal. @ 2.00 = $8200.00 to drive the same distance. or approximately 5.80 a gallon for the first 25000 miles of driving.

If I kept the vehicle for 100,000 miles, then I would spend about 17000.00 in conversion and fuel costs, or 21600.00 for just gas. So long term is looking good if you like to save 1100.00 a year and deal with the hassles of finding fill up locations that are close to home and work. Of course all of this depends on the price of LNG and Gas in the States, which varies greatly and changes faster than you can read this!

NatGasCar Announces CNG Conversion Kit for Ram 1500 and Dodge Dakota - PickupTrucks.com News

If it has Tits or Tires, it'll cost ya
arcitech1 is offline  
#11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 183
Thanks: 32
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: CNG conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcitech1 View Post
I may be mistaken about the mileage issue, but the cost is equal to 1400 gallons of gas at my local price. If LNG was 2.00 then:

Gas: 5400/3.69=1463Gal. @ 17.2 avg MPG=25170miles driven for my $$$

LNG: 5400.00 for conversion +1400Gal. @ 2.00 = $8200.00 to drive the same distance. or approximately 5.80 a gallon for the first 25000 miles of driving.

If I kept the vehicle for 100,000 miles, then I would spend about 17000.00 in conversion and fuel costs, or 21600.00 for just gas. So long term is looking good if you like to save 1100.00 a year and deal with the hassles of finding fill up locations that are close to home and work. Of course all of this depends on the price of LNG and Gas in the States, which varies greatly and changes faster than you can read this!

NatGasCar Announces CNG Conversion Kit for Ram 1500 and Dodge Dakota - PickupTrucks.com News
my work truck is a Chevy 2500 HD that weighs about 8,000 lbs and is bi-fuel gasoline and CNG. in my everyday driving i get 1 mpg better while running on CNG. as of right now i have about 28,000 miles on it. i drive anywhere from 130 to 220 miles per day and i always get better mileage on CNG.
at our local ONG (Oklahoma Natural Gas) offices, CNG is $.83 per gallon. most other filling stations charge around $1.30 to $1.40/ gallon.
i personally don't notice much of a loss in power while running on CNG. i'd say that power is very comparable between gasoline and CNG.
whenever i'm at the pump and another CNG vehicle pulls up i always ask them how they like it and i've honestly NEVER heard anyone say a bad word about it. i've probably talked to 20-30 people at the pump.
i'll say that the biggest drawback of converting to CNG is the initial cost. 8-12 grand is pretty steep! i believe that my state, Oklahoma, offers a tax credit of around $4,000 when someone gets their vehicle converted.
hopefully, some automakers will jump in on this and get some factory equipped CNG vehicles out on the road...

those are just my experiences with CNG...

good luck

04 Galaxy Black Offroad 4x4 CC
leveled, sportin' 18x9 black & machined Dale Jr. Cannons w/Kumho KL71's
homemade front mount receiver, Smittybilt XRC10 winch, grill mod & Hella 500FF's
chris mac is offline  
#12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Registered User
 
scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: HOLLYWOOD FL
Posts: 1,046
Thanks: 44
Thanked 193 Times in 136 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to scorpion
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
my work truck is a Chevy 2500 HD that weighs about 8,000 lbs and is bi-fuel gasoline and CNG. in my everyday driving i get 1 mpg better while running on CNG. as of right now i have about 28,000 miles on it. i drive anywhere from 130 to 220 miles per day and i always get better mileage on CNG.
at our local ONG (Oklahoma Natural Gas) offices, CNG is $.83 per gallon. most other filling stations charge around $1.30 to $1.40/ gallon.
i personally don't notice much of a loss in power while running on CNG. i'd say that power is very comparable between gasoline and CNG.
whenever i'm at the pump and another CNG vehicle pulls up i always ask them how they like it and i've honestly NEVER heard anyone say a bad word about it. i've probably talked to 20-30 people at the pump.
i'll say that the biggest drawback of converting to CNG is the initial cost. 8-12 grand is pretty steep! i believe that my state, Oklahoma, offers a tax credit of around $4,000 when someone gets their vehicle converted.
hopefully, some automakers will jump in on this and get some factory equipped CNG vehicles out on the road...

those are just my experiences with CNG...

good luck
The guy with the caravan said that he paid 2k for the conversion that's why I was thinking about it


Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

2012 PRO4X CC BLIZZARD WHITE

LED interior 4"AIRAIDE intake 8000k HID

Volant exhaust Memphis 500w amp

Tec12volt under seat sub XD RockStars 18"

Bilsteins 5100 on all 4 corners

scorpion is offline  
#13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 183
Thanks: 32
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: CNG conversion

From what I've been told, some kits aren't DOT certified. They perform just as good, but if you're in a wreck and the fuel tank fails then you could potentially be held accountable ... not sure if that info is totally accurate.

04 Galaxy Black Offroad 4x4 CC
leveled, sportin' 18x9 black & machined Dale Jr. Cannons w/Kumho KL71's
homemade front mount receiver, Smittybilt XRC10 winch, grill mod & Hella 500FF's
chris mac is offline  
#14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member
 
Scottysize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sanger, TX
Posts: 1,448
Thanks: 196
Thanked 358 Times in 268 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Scottysize
Re: CNG conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
my work truck is a Chevy 2500 HD that weighs about 8,000 lbs and is bi-fuel gasoline and CNG. in my everyday driving i get 1 mpg better while running on CNG. as of right now i have about 28,000 miles on it. i drive anywhere from 130 to 220 miles per day and i always get better mileage on CNG.
at our local ONG (Oklahoma Natural Gas) offices, CNG is $.83 per gallon. most other filling stations charge around $1.30 to $1.40/ gallon.
i personally don't notice much of a loss in power while running on CNG. i'd say that power is very comparable between gasoline and CNG.
whenever i'm at the pump and another CNG vehicle pulls up i always ask them how they like it and i've honestly NEVER heard anyone say a bad word about it. i've probably talked to 20-30 people at the pump.
i'll say that the biggest drawback of converting to CNG is the initial cost. 8-12 grand is pretty steep! i believe that my state, Oklahoma, offers a tax credit of around $4,000 when someone gets their vehicle converted.
hopefully, some automakers will jump in on this and get some factory equipped CNG vehicles out on the road...

those are just my experiences with CNG...

good luck
^^^ Really? ^^^

We had CNG bi-fueled vehicles for the last 10 years at DFW. I can say that the F150's lost a lot of power when running on CNG and the gas mileage was not as good. All of the DPS cars ran on CNG only and they switched back to gas a few years ago because of the loss of power. Driving the F150's during an 8 hour shift, we'd run out of a 10 gallon equivalent CNG by the 7 hour mark. Ford quit offering the CNG upgrade on their vehicles, so we have since moved back to straight gas. After an 8 hour shift, it takes 8 gallons of gas to fill it. I can buy CNG for $2.35/gallon right now, and gas is $3.73. Also, the CNG vehicles ran through spark plugs like crazy. The CNG is notorious for fowling spark plugs. Having said all of that, if I could find a cheap conversion kit, I wouldn't mind having the option, but I don't think it'd be worth spending a bunch of cash on. The upfront costs could negate any savings you'd see from the cheaper CNG, if the conversion kit is too much.

2012 SV CC Brilliant Silver/Charcoal Cloth 4X4.



Future Mods: One day AirLift Air Bags


Scottysize is offline  
#15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 183
Thanks: 32
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: CNG conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottysize View Post
^^^ Really? ^^^

We had CNG bi-fueled vehicles for the last 10 years at DFW. I can say that the F150's lost a lot of power when running on CNG and the gas mileage was not as good. All of the DPS cars ran on CNG only and they switched back to gas a few years ago because of the loss of power. Driving the F150's during an 8 hour shift, we'd run out of a 10 gallon equivalent CNG by the 7 hour mark. Ford quit offering the CNG upgrade on their vehicles, so we have since moved back to straight gas. After an 8 hour shift, it takes 8 gallons of gas to fill it. I can buy CNG for $2.35/gallon right now, and gas is $3.73. Also, the CNG vehicles ran through spark plugs like crazy. The CNG is notorious for fowling spark plugs. Having said all of that, if I could find a cheap conversion kit, I wouldn't mind having the option, but I don't think it'd be worth spending a bunch of cash on. The upfront costs could negate any savings you'd see from the cheaper CNG, if the conversion kit is too much.
yep, that's the honest truth... my guess would be that the Fords themselves or maybe the tuning on those trucks could have been the issue. just a guess... i can only speak of what i deal with...
our company is strictly Chevrolet and they all seem to run very well.
our managers send out a breakdown of our whole office's fleet showing mpg on gas & CNG. i'd say that 90-99% of our entire fleet (60 + trucks) is showing better mileage while on CNG.
as far as the cost of the kits that we run, i was told that the actual fuel cylinder makes up about 75% of the cost of the kit!!!

04 Galaxy Black Offroad 4x4 CC
leveled, sportin' 18x9 black & machined Dale Jr. Cannons w/Kumho KL71's
homemade front mount receiver, Smittybilt XRC10 winch, grill mod & Hella 500FF's
chris mac is offline  
Reply

Jump to top


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4wd conversion.... davisbl345 Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain 2 03-27-2011 05:13 PM
4x2 to 4x4 conversion Hot_Titan Titan Suspension 19 03-19-2010 12:32 PM
2.94 to 3.36 conversion undy Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain 6 02-06-2009 03:42 PM
4x4 Conversion camione Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain 5 01-01-2007 01:55 PM
2wd to 4wd conversion rob379 Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain 8 12-13-2006 09:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On