Nissan Titan Forum banner

Rear Axle Questions

27K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  knoxride 
#1 ·
If I have big tow, off-road and diff lock what is my rear axle gear ratio?

What year did Nissan allegedly "beef up" the rear axle for the Titan?

Can I install the newer beefed up rear axle in my 2004 Titan or were things changed too much that I couldn't do this?

#2 ·
2008 improved with larger diameter 35 spline axle shafts, Set 80 axle bearings/seals, maybe also improved spring perches and shock mounts. e-locker improved from 2 spider to 4 spider design I think in 07, not sure, but 04 has weaker e-locker.
I think so, people have done 04-07 rear axle assembly swap into 08+ trucks for purpose of installing truetrac.

#3 ·
380 Rear Final Drive :: Power Train :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Titan Parts (A60) 2004-2011 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Note companion flange 38210 is different for early year trucks.

370 Propeller Shaft :: Power Train :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Titan Parts (A60) 2004-2011 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Note rear drive shaft 37320 is different for early year trucks.

So you need to find out if the driveshaft for 04 would bolt up to the companion flange for 2008+

#4 ·
So you need to find out if the driveshaft for 04 would bolt up to the companion flange for 2008+
How do I determine that?

The issue I have is that my pinion bearing is going bad. Local mechanic and Nissan dealer don't want to touch it. Nissan dealer says new axle required for the amazing low price of $2500. Was thinking I could find a 2008+ axle from a wrecked truck for cheaper and then have it installed.

#7 ·
For 2008+ Titan, I think they have either 2.937 or 3.357 with the Pro-X. You can see all the specs at Nissanhelp.com | All About Nissan

All 2008+ have 35 spline axles which are not compatible with the Arb locker or the TrueTrac that can be installed for the smaller diameter 32 spline axle shafts of the 2004 thru 2007 Titans. So basically the only thing you can easily have is the factory e-locker, which is only available oem. If you have a 2wd, I believe (but obviously you would need to confirm with them) you can get from Arizona Differential a Dana 60 with gear ratio and locker of your choice with Titan axle housing tube ends so you reuse your oem axle shafts and retain the factory ABS, although I dunno about retaining cruise control. Some people have also swapped 04-07 Titan rear axle into 08+ trucks to install a TrueTrac.

#9 ·
park truck on level ground, chock front tires, jack up rear passenger side with jack under passenger side axle tube, support with jack stand, remove wheel, remove caliper and tie to leaf spring so you don't mess up the brake line, with parking brake released, remove rotor, remove four bearing cage nuts, pull axle shaft, you may have to push parking brake shoes to the side a little, using slide hammer if required. There are no clips inside the diff holding the axle shafts.

Manual & pics: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/123384-replacing-axle-seals-w-pics.html

#15 ·
Thought I would give an update to help others that are having the same issues. I have a 2004 CC, 4x4, tow package, no locker, 135,000 miles. Rear end started to whine (high pitch) while under load; was loudest at about 55mph going up slight incline. So my pinion bearings were going out and the ring and pinion were questionable. I have replaced the axle seals 4 times and wanted to get rid of that issue. I also wanted to improve on the stock 2004 carrier as it only has two spider gears. So I decided to swap the 2004 out for a 2008 rear end after reading everything I could and pricing several options. The 2004 to 2008 axle swap is 100% drop in (easy), everything bolted right up. The only thing different is the bracket for the passenger side emergency brake. On the 2004 it is part of the diff cover, on the 2008 it is a separate bracket and my replacement axle did not include it. So I just drilled a few holes in a 1.5” angle iron by about 3” long to make a new bracket. I also found in my research that 2x4 axle will bolt up but the spring perches are at the wrong angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.