Nissan Titan Forum banner

Blue Steel

43K views 228 replies 38 participants last post by  Heathn66 
#1 · (Edited)
My Blue Steel Build

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum and have been lurking for a couple months now. I just sold my 2008 Toyota Tacoma and picked up a 2010 Titan LE 4x4 CC BLUE STEEL (I think of Zoolander every time I hear it).

I want this to be my build thread so I am going to reserve a couple spots.

Old truck:

Before

After

New Truck:

Mods: Updated 01-06-13

"-" = Future
"X" = Arrived or Completed
"$" = Scale of $ (not worth a crap, difficult to get) - $$$$$ (benefits far out weigh the cost, also difficult to get)

Suspension:
1st Setup:
PRG Package: $$$1/2 (review in Post #90)
SOLD Radflo 2.5 Coilover
SOLD Sway Bar End Links
PRG 1.5" Block
PRG Upper Control Arms
PRG Cam Bolts

Current Setup:
X Rancho 4" Lift
X SAW External Reservoir Coilover
X PRG Upper Control Arms
X PRG 1.5" Block
X MetalWorx Traction Bars (ordered)
X PRG Cam Bolt Kit
X Deaver C-30 Spring Pack
X Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks
X CST Sway Bar Endlinks
X PWM $$$$$

Wheels, Tires & Brakes:
X Nismo Locking Valve Caps $$$$$
X Nitto Trail Grappler 295/60R20 (34.45" x 12.13") $$$$ (review in post 90)
X 1.5" Bora Bulletproof Wheel Adapters
- Rotora 8 Piston Brake Kit
- Mickey Thompson Classic Locks 17x9 w/Red rings
- Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.50r17

Audio/Visual:
1st try:
X Motorola Media Dock $$$1/2
X Logitech Nano Mouse $$$$
X HDMI to Composite scaler $$$

Current setup:
X Kenwood DNX9980 $$$1/2
X Automatic bypass $$$$$
X Kenwood Sirius Adapter CASR20V $$$
X Kenwood KCA-IP302 iPod cable $$$$
X Metra Dash Kit $$$
X Sirius Universal Tuner SCC1
X Kenwood Diagnostic Monitor KNAEC100 $
X PAC SteeringWheel Control SWIJACK $$$ (only controls volume and bluetooth "answer")
X Kenwood CMOS-300 Backup Cam $$$
X Myron Davis 8.5" Flip-down Monitor $$$$
X Viper 5901 Alarm $$$$
X OEM Nav Bezel
X Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (more info in post #195)
X Motorola Bluetooth Keyboard $$$
- Tech12volt Under Front Seat Sub & Amp Package

Interior:
X Bucket Seat Console Tray $$$$
X WeatherTech Floor Liners $$$$
X Under seat Storage Bin $$$$
- Power Inverter
- Zombie Rocker Switch

Exterior:
X Snugtop XTR $$$$ (review in Post 17)
X Plasti-Dip Mirror Caps $$$$$ (review in Post 28)
X Black door handles
X Custom Roof Rack (more pictures in post #121)
X 3 7" HID Off Road Lights
X Hi-lift jack, shovel & ax
X Rancho Skid Plate
X Amp Research Power Step
X Silver Upper Grill (waiting on paint)
X Grillcraft MX Series Silver Upper
- De-badge
- Matching Front Window Tint
- TAG Wincher Bumper
- 2 10" Single Row Amber LED Light Bars
- 2 10" Double Row Combo LED Light Bars
- Smittybilt XRC 10 Winch
- Smittybilt Low Profile Fairlead
- Pro Link Shackle Mount
- Custom Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
- Anzo Headlights
- Eyelids
- Glassworks Hood

Performance:
X OBDII Bluetooth Monitor
X Android Torque App
- Injen CAI
- Borla Catback Exhaust
- 2.25" Cajun b-pipes
- Bully Dog GT Tuner
- ARB Rear Locker

Accessories:
X 72hr Kit/GHB (Contents in Post #124)
X Fire Extinguisher
X Cobra 75 WX ST
- Viair On-board Constant Duty Air System
- Bedslide 1000 Pro Se
- Yakima Sparetime
- Yakima Fatcat 6
- Blue Sea Fuse Block 12 Circuit #5026
- Blue Sea Circuit Breaker #7087

This forum has already been a big help and I'm very excited to jump in.
Thanks for looking!

Truck Delivered 06/09/11

Before

1st Mod: center console tray

SnugTop XTR 07/14/11

Plasti-dip mirror caps 08/03/11

Stereo Installed 08/29/11
Kenwood DNX 9980 w/Metra bezel custom painted and Motorola Photon HD media dock

Myron & Davis 8.5" overhead monitor

Mouse & mouse pad to navigate Motorola Photon HD media dock 08/14/11

REMOVED: Video of how it works (not very clear, much better in person)

Ipod

PWM 01/10/12 ended up doing a lot more cutting than this...

REMOVED: 1st Setup 01-13-12

WeatherTech Floor Liners 01-17-12

Under Seat Storage Bin 01-23-12

Custom Roof Rack w/tools & 4" HID Off Road Lights 04-03-12

72hr Kit

Current Setup: Rancho 4" Lift, SAW External Reservoir Coilover, PRG UCA, CST End Links, PRG Cam Bolts, Deaver C-30, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, SS Brake Lines, PRG 1.5" Block, Bora 1.5" Wheel Adapter and 7" HID Off Road Lights 09-05-12

Rancho Front Skid Plate 09-05-12

Amp Research Power Steps 09-05-12

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 mounted in factory Nav Bezel 09-12-12

Fire Extinguisher: Wal Mart special for $13. 09-21-12

Black Door Handles 01-08-13

See less See more
1 23
#3 ·
thats a pretty good looking Tacoma bro! look forward to seeing what you can do with a titan. Welcome and congrats on the new ride

Reactions: nezzy76
#4 ·
My brother had the exact same Tacoma as that. Hit a snow drift that was across the highway one night and bent the frame.

#6 ·
sick looking taco! youre going to love the titan

#8 ·
Welcome to TT. I also recently switch from a '09 Tacoma 4x2 AC Base to a '10 SE CC 4x4. I loved that Tacoma and the previous three other Tacomas I had. But I needed a full size 4x4 for towing and passenger capacity. The Titan fit the bill just right. I'm really enjoying everything about this truck except maybe the gas mileage. Ive only had the Titan for 6 months and I'm thinking it will be a Keeper.

#10 ·
Good lookin' Taco! Congrat's on the gas guzzler upgrade! Looking forward to seeing your Titan build... Check out my slight modified 2006 4X4 while you're waiting on yours to arrive... ;)

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...210-drtyazns-project-wide-body-4x4-titan.html

oh yeah, that little list of mods you have going... you better add a few more lines under it, for... PML diff & tranny covers, Injen CAI, DT LT headers, Custom true dual exhaust, JWT Cam shafts, Transgo Shift Kit, UpRev Osiris, HD winch bumper, overhead cargo rack, rock sliders, etc etc etc... :rofl:

#12 ·
LOL! It looks like I didn't reserve enough space if I'm going to have to do all of those mods. I pretty sure I have reserved all of my B-days and Christmas' for the next 15 yrs. My wife loves it when I ask for an Optima battery for Father's Day. Awesome!

BTW, great looking truck! I really like the flared fender look. There's a company up here that heavily mods branded title tacoma's and they do a lot of flared fender trucks. They look awesome!

#13 ·
Easy man.
I'm trying to drink coffee here and you have to start out with a Zoolander pic.
Welcome to TitanTalk.
Quartz is picking up a blue steel Titan today.

#14 ·
UPDATE 06/09/11
It only took 3 weeks but she finally showed up. Here is a horrible picture but we've had crappy weather here for the last couple days. I'll polish her up and post some better pics. So far I am very impressed with this truck. I LOVE IT!

I just ordered this cap

#16 ·
Welcome and thats a sweet cap, how much was it?
Thanks for the welcome! The cap was $2,600 with tax and install. About $400 more than what I was going to pay for the Leer 100xq. The xq for the Titan is different than the xq that is in the Leer advertisement's. I didn't like it nearly as much. I compared the xq and the xtr side by side and the xtr was far superior in my opinion. The paint seemed to lay better, it has rubber strips under the bars which is awesome because I was constantly hitting bikes and ski bindings on my roof. Plus, I think it looks tits! Kind of a factory look with those bars. Should be here in a couple of weeks.

And that is one hell of a big garage...
Haha, the owner before me had one of those huge bus motor homes. The 3rd bay is 50' long. The space is nice and I plan on putting a lift in. I really like the high door because I pulled into my old garage with bikes on the roof...twice! Not pretty!

#17 · (Edited)
SnugTop XTR was installed today, what do you guys' think???

Review:
$$$$ - I love it! It is built very well. The paint is a dead match to my truck. It did come with some minor scuffs in the crack between the side glass and the fiberglass. No one else would notice so it's not a big deal. It fits very well! I love the way it flows with the lines of the truck. The upper bars are aluminum and feel very sturdy. I plan on removing them and installing a "one off" safari rack. The interior light is hooked up to the doors so it comes on when the doors are open. It is not a LED (which I am glad for), so it lights up the bed great and isn't that blueish light. It is also wired to lock and unlock when the alarm is armed or disarmed. The window between the cab and the cap folds down making it VERY easy to clean. I have been through several rain storms and now a few snow storms with no leaking at all. The smaller side windows open so the pooch can get a little air while on the long trips. Overall I would buy it again. I gave it $$$$ because of it's only flaw, price. If it was a few hundred less I would have given it $$$$$.

#21 ·
Lol! I'm gettin there. Instead of a 6" lift and 35's I'm doing a 3" lift with 33's. I guess in 15 more years I'll get a 2 wheel drive because its cheaper and it will have pizza cutters so I get better fuel economy. It won't matter tho because I'll only drive it 1,500 miles a year because I'm out mowing my lawn twice a day. Lol!

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

#22 ·
I have a little time today and I just went and ordered a Motorola Photon so I thought I would update this thread a bit. Here's my idea for my stereo stuff: mount a Motorola Photon Media Dock in the junk catcher above the stereo. When I dock my Photon it will mirror or switch OS to the Kenwood. I will be able to control it via a small touch pad mounted on the top of my center console. It was a bit more involved than I thought but I am basically 3 cheap (relatively speaking) parts away. It should be finished up by the end of August. I will be able to use Pandora, Netflix, etc... on both/either screen. Should be cool!

#23 ·
Looks good neezy. I have a blue steel Titan as well. I get a lot of comments about the color. Especially from other Titan owners. Most have never seen a Titan this color. My only complaint is the chrome caps on the mirrors and the body color mud flaps. I wish they were black.

#24 ·
Looks good neezy. I have a blue steel Titan as well. I get a lot of comments about the color. Especially from other Titan owners. Most have never seen a Titan this color.
Thanks man! I love the Blue Steel too.

My only complaint is the chrome caps on the mirrors and the body color mud flaps. I wish they were black.
I couldn't agree with you more about the chrome mirror caps. I just picked up a can of Plasti Dip today and also posted "Trade" post in the buy/sell section. I really like the color matched mud flaps though. I have been basing my tire size around keeping them because I like them so much. Ultimate goal is to color match door handles and mirrors, vinyl wrap front chrome flat silver and powder coat top bars silver to match. What do you think??? Do you have more pictures of yours??? I really like your truck! I have looked at it several times but haven't seen to many other pictures of it aside from your signature.

#26 ·
That looks good neezy. I've got to do this to my truck.

#28 · (Edited)
$$$$$ - I thought I'd give a quick break down of the process I used.

Plasti-dip $6 from Home Depot 1 can

I used this thread to remove the caps
How to remove TOW mirror caps! - Nissan Titan Forum: Club Titan Forums

I washed caps with soap and water, dried, wiped down with goo gone and then started spraying. I followed the directions on the back of the can. I set up a nice paint booth with great light and garbage sacks. I hung the cap from a pole so I could paint them upright. After the first coat on the first cap I kicked the pole and knocked the cap face down onto the garbage sack (a little insight into why I hesitate doing DIY projects). After 6 coats of Plasti-dip you couldn't tell I dropped it at all. Cool stuff!

EDIT: 12-04-11 I have had the mirror caps Plasti-dipped for 4 months now and not even a scratch. No problems with washing them or anything along those lines. Very good investment! Anything that needs to be flat black will get Plasti-dipped from now on.

#31 ·
I thought I'd give a quick break down of the process I used.

Plasti-dip $6 from Home Depot 1 can

I used this thread to remove the caps
How to remove TOW mirror caps! - Nissan Titan Forum: Club Titan Forums

I washed caps with soap and water, dried, wiped down with goo gone and then started spraying. I followed the directions on the back of the can. I set up a nice paint booth with great light and garbage sacks. I hung the cap from a pole so I could paint them upright. After the first coat on the first cap I kicked the pole and knocked the cap face down onto the garbage sack (a little insight into why I hesitate doing DIY projects). After 6 coats of Plasti-dip you couldn't tell I dropped it at all. Cool stuff!
I was going to remove my caps but I just masked everything off and sprayed the caps while they were still on the truck. It came out great.

#34 ·
i like where you put your ipod. i hate having to reach all the way over to the glove box to do anything with mine

Reactions: nezzy76
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.