Weight of Leer Cap? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Weight of Leer Cap?

I have a Leer 100XQ on my 78 inch bed and need to find out how much it weighs. Leer has no number for customers to call and the dealer could only get an approximate weight when he called them.
I have a hoister lift in my garage that I use for other things and I am trying to determine if it will lift the cap.
BTW this shows how little Leer cares and how arrogant they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 AM

Re: Weight of Leer Cap?

Mine's 100r is just under 200lbs. Given all the different options you can order form Leer, I can understand how each one could be 10 to 15 pounds either way. If your lift is rated for 300Ilbs or more you should be good.

My "Lift" is me and a buddy. I can imagine the trick for you will be in keep the CAP balanced and square, unless you are going to install a big ring bolt in the centre of the roof

BTW I would be interested in seeing pictures of your lift setup.

Rick

Rick
07 CC Galaxy Black LE 4x4, PRG Mini Lift 2/1.5, ICON rears, Frt Frozen Rotors & Hawk Pads, K&N, MagnaFlow, Leer 100R, AVS Hood Shield, 20% Tint, ScanGaugeII, BDPP, HID 6000k Lights, LED Tail lights from Seres
#3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:51 PM

I too would be interested in seeing your lift setup. I have lifted mine off on my back before, and it's a chore to say the least.

I agree 100% with you as well on Leer's LACK of customer support. I have emailed them numerous times about issues that the dealer just ignored, and they DON'T respond or care!

Rob
'05 SE KC Galaxy Black (sold)
'08 Pro-4X LWB Galaxy Black 4WD
Tow, Utility Bed, Rockford Fosgate
Captains Chairs,
PRG mini lift
Zoomers Cat-back exhaust
Hatchie Bottom Max-4 camo seat covers
Nissan Bug Guard
Chrome Nissan Running Boards
Husky Liners
Nismo CAI
Active Tuning Grounding Kit
Eco-3
5000K HID Low Beams
#4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,562 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I did get a response from Leer when I asked about the weight of my topper. But this was a couple years ago.

Here are a couple of pictures of the lift I use on my topper. The first picture is the old setup where I put the 2x4's under the topper. That was pretty kludgy. Getting them underneath was a task and I ended up taking a few chips out of the bottom edge of the topper. The second picture is the new setup. I have the Thule rails installed from the factory so I went and bought the feet and bar and now my lift attaches to the feet/bar from the top instead of lifting from the bottom. This is a lot faster. I used the winch, mounted on the front to do the actual lifting. Now that I have a winch that I can mount in the rear hitch I may switch to using that for lifting.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore

Last edited by HRTKD; 06-03-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Reformatted.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. The hoisting system that I have is made by Harken and is called the Hoister. It works great and uses high quality components. However I installed the system to lift my canoe and ordered the version rated at 145 lbs. They make one at 200 lbs that I would have bought had I thought that I would use it for the cap.
The dealer originally said that my cap was about 150 lbs and that got me thinking that it might work. However when I pushed to see where Leer said that he reconsidered and called Leer. Their customer service people have a script that says " it is a maximum of 225". That way they are protected and do not have to give real service.
I too have the Thule rack setup that I installed myself just like the factory unit. It never occurred to me to use it to lift from, and I appreciate the input. BTW your pulley setup looks a lot like the Harken system.I assume that you have not had any issues with the fiberglass flexing and the paint chipping?
#6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:45 AM

The picture of your system is excellent. I think that I will use the same roof mounting points and add extra pulleys and winch like you did to get higher capacity. Could you possibly send a pic of how you handle the 4 lines going into the winch? Thanks
Wally
#7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,562 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Yes, the fiberglass on one side of the Thule racks is showing a small crack. I think I need to adjust where the feet of the rack go. I put the feet at the extreme ends of the rack and maybe I should position them a bit more between two of the bolts that hold the rack to the topper.
Here are two more pictures of the current setup. The four lines come into a ring with then goes to a pulley that is above the garage door. The line then threads down from there to my winch. I can install or remove the topper with the garage door open or closed.

For a little comic relief here is the system I started with. It was a disaster. At one point one of the ratchet straps slipped and one corner of the topper tipped way down. Fortunately, I had the topper strapped to the 2x4's and it didn't go anywhere as the other three straps going to the ceiling held. Be very careful where you mount the pulley points. Before you ever try them with your topper be sure that each pulley will hold YOUR weight. 200 lbs is not something you want to come crashing down on your head. The pulleys and wire (vinyl coated) I used are oversized. I think each pulley is rated for 400 lbs.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore

Jump to top