Nissan Titan Forum banner

Electric Fan not Running with AC, Should it?

28K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  XeroPhane 
#1 ·
While driving around town today in stop and go traffic, I noticed that the AC didn't seem very cold, just cool. Once I was back on the highway, it was very cold after a few minutes. When I got home I noticed that the electric fan in front of the radiator wasn't running when the AC was on. It seemed like it used to. Should it?

#2 ·
Don't know, I know I had a rock hit my AC compressor and it would not come on at all. The dealer replaced it with an aftermarket unit, since they could get it same day, seems to be much better then before, even on 95 degree days its stays cold in the truck.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes the electric fan should be on while the A/c is running. It will come on and off.

#4 ·
The front of the radiator yes, but if your talking about the fan below (opening in the bumper) that is just an auxiliary fan for when it's really hot.

#5 ·
Also the compressor doesn't spin as much in stop and go traffic as it is when you're in steady motion that's why it feels as if it's not cooling right.

#6 ·
Yes, it's the condenser fan in the front of the radiator/condenser. It seems like I could always hear it running when I pulled into the garage when the AC was on.

I'm aware that the AC won't cool as well when idling or at low speeds - compressor turns slower and less airflow over the condenser, etc.. That's why I thought this fan ran when the AC was on.

I assume that there's a relay somewhere for it.

#8 ·
No, I wasn't affected by the fan recall.

#9 ·
I checked the fusible link and relays for the electric fan. All okay. But, still no fan when the AC is on - no power at the fan. So, either something else is involved in determining if the fan should run, or there's something else wrong. So far, our highest temps have been 85-90 deg. Maybe it hasn't been hot enough to get the fan to come on?

#10 ·
I tested to see if mine would work on the weekend and it did not. My AC is COLD COLD COLD.

#11 ·
Mine is running all the time now but it is over 100* here.

#12 ·
I've seen my fan spin more than once but real slow so to me I guess if it gets up to the upper 90s it will spin slow and in the 100s it'll spin like the clutch fan. To be honest this is the first v8 engine I seen with a seperate fan for the condenser.

#15 ·
To my understanding, i thought in 08 they pulled that front mounted electric fan because they thought it was "Unnecessary". My 08 CC XE doesn't have it, not even the wiring for it. But my 05 does.

#16 ·
My auxiliary fan will come on when the A/C is on (usually) or when the engine temperature hits 212° F.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.