Changing brake fluid? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to tighten06
Changing brake fluid?

With normal use, how often should the brake fluid be changed in my Titan? I have a 2006 that has had all dealer service since day 1 and none of my receipts show its been changed like all the other fluids..and it's not listed in my owners manual when the change interval is, my Truck has 35,000 miles..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 12:05 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: Changing brake fluid?

With "normal" use and keeping the truck for 15-20 years. Id say every 10 years or 250000 miles. Or whenever you want to. Im gonna do mine sometime. only cause i want to.

And i just hit 116000 with my "Baby"

The very existence of flamethowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves: "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

2006 Galaxy Black CC 4X2, PRG 2.5/1.0 mini lift, Bilstein 5100 struts on front and 5100 shocks on rear, headlight mod, airbox mod, BDGT, Axle Vent Mod, VHT Tails & 3rd Brakelight, GPS Speed Sensor Mod, Royal Purple Oil, Tranny Fluid, Power Steering Fluid, and Purple Ice in the Dual Core All Aluminum CST Radiator.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM

Thanked 1,282 Times in 840 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

How the dealer checks is the take the lid off and shine a flashlight through the top, if you can see the light in the fluid, then its good, if no light goes through its time to change it.

As for changing it, im guessing you bleed the brake fluid out of the calipers on all four side while you fill up the reservoir. Or suck the fluid out of the reservoir and fill it up with new stuff, then go drive it around a little bit, and do it again, repeat a few times.

My truck is at 72,000 and is getting just to the little darker side.

2005 Titan XE KC 2WD w/ Dirt King Mid Travel Kit: Weighing in at 4200lbs
Truck Build:
#4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 03:42 PM

I've always done it every few years. On my motorcycles yearly because the clear reservoir is subject to UV rays. Yearly on performance cars just because I do notice a difference in pedal feel. Brake fluid naturally wants to absorb water so flushing/bleeding regularly keeps your master and slave cylinder and other associated parts free from corrosion.

It's a simple process and worth it.

'11 SL RWD crew cab big tow
#5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,597 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Depending on where you look the industry standard is to change the brake fluid every three years. That's how often I do mine. With the right tools it takes less than 30 minutes.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
#6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Premium User

Thanked 59,466 Times in 18,662 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

It's humidity that makes the biggest difference. Where I live the humidity is so thick you can cut it what it with a knife. If you are handy and have access to a compressor this makes it very easy. $25 plus shipping. Brake Fluid Bleeder

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

I love the nights I can't remember with friends I can't forget
#7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Premium User

Thanked 59,466 Times in 18,662 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

If you don't have access to a compressor. $3 plus shipping. Brake Bleeder & Brake Bleeder Vacuum Pump Kit

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

I love the nights I can't remember with friends I can't forget
#8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

You can also change brake fluid by gravity if you have time and patience. You hook a tube to the bleeder, put it in a jar with a little fluid, crack the bleeder, and let gravity take over. Not a fast process but water settles at the low points, the calipers generally. So most everything you get out on the front end will be the majority of your water.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Premium User

Actually most manufacturers that publish change intervals are going towards 2 year intervals. I have never, nor would I ever, let my fluid go 10yrs/250k- even if there was no specified change interval. Fluid color/clarity generally indicates that the fluid has absorbed some moisture or may have contaminants in it but going off of color alone is not the correct way to check brake fluid. The correct way to check brake fluid is to use a brake fluid tester to check the boiling point/moisture content. The problem is that most Dot 3 and Dot 4 brake fluids are hygroscopic (absorb water) which lowers the boiling point. Dot 5 brake fluid is hydrophobic (won't absorb water) but replacing Dot 3/4 brake fluid with Dot 5 can lead to other problems. Bottom line is that brake fluid should be changed every few years regardless of mileage.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:52 AM

aside from moisture you also can build up copper sulphate in the fluid which can lead to corroding modulator pump valves

Baddass titans arent bought, they're built

2011 Titan PRO-4X MODS: 20% window tint, 8000k HIDs, K&N gen II FIPK short ram intake, Cherry Bomb cat. back dual exhaust system, BDGT reg. tune, 2 degree advance, truck balls, 18x9.5 matte black VTEC Raptor 372 wheels, Cooper ST MAXX tires 275/70r18, debadged, U-Guard bull bar (bedlined), LEDs: reverse lights, license plate lights, cargo lights cabin air filters
#11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Premium User

Garage

I don't see how testing the brake fluid in the reservoir is a sufficient test of the overall quality of the brake fluid in the rest of the system. When I flushed the fluid in my '91 Ranger the fluid in the reservoir didn't look too bad. But the fluid that was in the lines was absolute garbage. It was almost the color of Guinness (extra stout) and there were particles (rust) floating in it.

It's not like the brake fluid is in a looped system. The fluid at the brakes stays there and doesn't get routed back to the reservoir.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
#12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 05:13 PM

I've been bleeding a little bit of fluid out every other tire rotation. The amount of fluid bled out lowers the brake fluid reservoir by about 1/2". I figure this way, the fluid in the lines should always be pretty fresh and moisture free. Besides, the tires are already off and the bleeder screws are easy to get to.

2006 Titan 2wd CC SE Granite w/Big Tow with 147K miles

2006 BMW 330i w/Sport Package as my DD
#13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Justintoxicated

Just change it when you put on new brakepads. I guess I never change it all out at once this way since you get some contamination from the rear still if you changing the front pads I think it should be good enough though.

PRG Upper Arms and SAWs DR rears 4" lift, Dunder Grill, Extensive Stereo System, HID Club, AEM, Stillen Exhaust, Wet Okoles, Ham Radio, 200 PSI onboard Air compressor.

Metro

Titan
#14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Premium User

Garage

My front pads will still be the OEM pads when I pass the 5 year timeframe. The still look like they have a lot of thickness left too so they could have been on there for up to 7 years. So for me that would be too long of an interval for replacing the brake fluid. Then again, I'm anal, and I have no life so I am doing preventive maintenance way before normal because I'm bored.

Jim aka Bionic Whore

Jump to top