Nissan Titan Forum banner

how do I check transmission fluid level

45K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  VQP0WER 
#1 ·
The owners manual does'nt show where proper fluid level should be on dipstick, nor does it say to check with engine running . Can anyone help me out, please.

#2 ·
trowelsworth said:
The owners manual does'nt show where proper fluid level should be on dipstick, nor does it say to check with engine running . Can anyone help me out, please.

the dipstick is not marked, no holes, nothing??

to check you get it hot, come to stop on level ground, go through each gear and reverse holding for about 10 seconds in each, then put in park and go check the dipstick. I've never checked it but that's basically what is says in the service manual. juma

#3 ·
some of the newer built titans, (like the one I was looking at) have a sealed tranny, that doesn't need to be serviced for 100k... or that is what the sales man told me... but there was just a cap where the dipstick should have been...

#4 ·
trowelsworth said:
From the service manual:

AT-10
Checking A/T Fluid ECS007S7
1. Warm up engine.
2. Check for fluid leakage.
3. Remove the tightening bolt for ATF level gauge.
4. Before driving, fluid level can be checked at fluid temperatures of 30° to 50°C (86° to 122°F) using
“COLD” range on ATF level gauge as follows.
a. Park vehicle on level surface and set parking brake.
b. Start engine and move selector lever through each gear position. Leave selector lever in “P” position.
c. Check fluid level with engine idling.
d. Remove ATF level gauge and wipe clean with lint-free paper.
CAUTION:
When wiping away the fluid level gauge, always use lint-free paper, not a cloth one.
e. Re-insert ATF level gauge into charging pipe as far as it will go.
CAUTION:
To check fluid level, insert the ATF level gauge until the cap contacts the end of the charging pipe,
with the gauge reversed from the normal attachment conditions.
f. Remove ATF level gauge and note reading. If reading is at low side of range, add fluid to the charging
pipe.
CAUTION:
Do not overfill.
5. Increase ATF oil temperature to 80°C (176°F) once.
6. Make the fluid temperature approximately 65°C (149°F).

NOTE:
Fluid level will be greatly affected by temperature as shown in figure. (Figure not shown here )
Therefore, be certain to perform
operation while checking data with CONSULT-II.
a. Connect CONSULT-II to data link connector.
b. Select “MAIN SIGNALS” in “DATA MONITOR” mode for “A/T” with CONSULT-II.
c. Read out the value of “ATF TEMP 1”.
7. Re-check fluid level at fluid temperatures of approximately 65°C (149°F) using “HOT” range on A/T fluid
level gauge.
CAUTION:
_ When wiping away the fluid level gauge, always use lint-free paper, not a cloth one.
_ To check fluid level, insert the ATF level gauge until the
cap contacts the end of the charging pipe, with the gauge
reversed from the normal attachment conditions as
shown.
8. Check fluid condition.
_ If fluid is very dark or smells burned, refer to check operation
of A/T. Flush cooling system after repair of A/T.
_ If ATF contains frictional material (clutches, bands, etc.),
replace radiator and flush cooler line using cleaning solvent
and compressed air after repair of A/T. Refer to CO-9, "RADIATOR"
9. Install the removed ATF level gauge into the fluid charging pipe.
Level gauge bolt: : 5.1 N·m (0.52 kg-m, 45 in-lb)

#5 ·
Thanks IMADOGMAN, Your The Man! Pulled my brushgaurd off this morning to do an oil change. There was tranny fluid on the tranny cooler line that goes in to the top of the cooler, also the foam rubber in said area was soaked! Cleaned with simple green, drove for an hour came back and discovered source of leak. The rubber hose that makes the 90 at top of line is leaking. I'm going to reclean and replace hose crimp with stainless hose clamp immedietly. Off to dealer to top off fluid tommorrow morning. Can't thank you enough DOGMAN!!!!!!!

#7 ·
IMADOGMAN said:
From the service manual:

AT-10
1. Warm up engine.
2. Check for fluid leakage.
3. Remove the tightening bolt for ATF level gauge.
4. Before driving, fluid level can be checked at fluid temperatures of 30° to 50°C (86° to 122°F) using
“COLD” range on ATF level gauge as follows.
a. Park vehicle on level surface and set parking brake.
b. Start engine and move selector lever through each gear position. Leave selector lever in “P” position.
c. Check fluid level with engine idling.
d. Remove ATF level gauge and wipe clean with lint-free paper.
CAUTION:
When wiping away the fluid level gauge, always use lint-free paper, not a cloth one.
CAUTION:
To check fluid level, insert the ATF level gauge until the cap contacts the end of the charging pipe,
with the gauge reversed from the normal attachment conditions.
f. Remove ATF level gauge and note reading. If reading is at low side of range, add fluid to the charging
pipe.
CAUTION:
Do not overfill.
5. Increase ATF oil temperature to 80°C (176°F) once.
6. Make the fluid temperature approximately 65°C (149°F).

NOTE:
Fluid level will be greatly affected by temperature as shown in figure. (Figure not shown here )
Therefore, be certain to perform
operation while checking data with CONSULT-II.
a. Connect CONSULT-II to data link connector.
b. Select “MAIN SIGNALS” in “DATA MONITOR” mode for “A/T” with CONSULT-II.
c. Read out the value of “ATF TEMP 1”.
7. Re-check fluid level at fluid temperatures of approximately 65°C (149°F) using “HOT” range on A/T fluid
level gauge.
CAUTION:
_ When wiping away the fluid level gauge, always use lint-free paper, not a cloth one.
_ To check fluid level, insert the ATF level gauge until the
cap contacts the end of the charging pipe, with the gauge
reversed from the normal attachment conditions as
shown.
8. Check fluid condition.
_ If fluid is very dark or smells burned, refer to check operation
of A/T. Flush cooling system after repair of A/T.
_ If ATF contains frictional material (clutches, bands, etc.),
replace radiator and flush cooler line using cleaning solvent
and compressed air after repair of A/T. Refer to CO-9, "RADIATOR"
9. Install the removed ATF level gauge into the fluid charging pipe.
Level gauge bolt: : 5.1 N·m (0.52 kg-m, 45 in-lb)

Do a search on how to check the fluid. Austin posted it dated 05-07-2004 who downlaoded the svc. manual. The manual says to reverse the gauge from it's normal inserted position to check the fluid.

#9 ·
IMADOGMAN said:
From the service manual:
4. Before driving, fluid level can be checked at fluid temperatures of 30° to 50°C (86° to 122°F) using “COLD” range on ATF level gauge as follows.
CAUTION:
To check fluid level, insert the ATF level gauge until the cap contacts the end of the charging pipe, with the gauge reversed from the normal attachment conditions.
Great post!
I do have a few other questions...
4- If I have the truck up to operating temp is there a "HOT" range or am I using the "COLD" range?
b- how long should I be in each gear or a I just going from P down to 1 and then putting it back in P?
e and CAUTION- am I contacting the cap to the pipe or am I putting it in as far as it goes, these are not the same in my mind?
and what on earth does this mean, reversed how? reversed from the normal attachment conditions

#10 ·
I was told it was bolted and not user serviceable like the old days. They said the fluid gets checked with a guage by the dealer to a specific temperature and topped off as needed. The fluid is NissanMatic J and can't be bought at the parts store.
My thinking is if they don't put it in the manual with a time to check it then they must be willing to eat a trans.

Clint

#11 ·
Quad T said:
Great post!
I do have a few other questions...
4- If I have the truck up to operating temp is there a "HOT" range or am I using the "COLD" range?
b- how long should I be in each gear or a I just going from P down to 1 and then putting it back in P?
e and CAUTION- am I contacting the cap to the pipe or am I putting it in as far as it goes, these are not the same in my mind?
and what on earth does this mean, reversed how? reversed from the normal attachment conditions
Can anyone help me out?

I still have these questions.

And as far as not checking because the tube is bolted closed... I have experienced several leaks on this truck to date as evidenced by the oil slick I used to call my driveway. I honestly don't think the dealer checked it after they found a bolt loose on the transfer case and now my truck is shifting weird...

#12 ·
Quad T.

I am not sure if my worn out 2004 is the same as some of these newer fellas, but I can pull the dipstick and check my fluid. It does not have a pull handle like old style, and it does look like it is bolted, but it does pull out. I checked the hash marks just like old way.

I would be banging on the hatch at the dealership in the morning even if you are out of warranty. That leak is going to burn up your trans, and I doubt they woudl voluntarily say that it was their fault. Make them check the level, and then show you why it was leaking. If you have been in there for a leak before, and they said it was something else, they should have included in writing why they thought your trans was not the issue. You have doen your part as the owner, not your fault if they don't document it properly and have to recheck/replace it.

#14 ·
I'm off tomorrow so I'll do this in the daylight.

This sentence still confuses me To check fluid level, insert the ATF level gauge until the cap contacts the end of the charging pipe, with the gauge reversed from the normal attachment conditions as shown.

I agree with ya 454. I have to be proactive because I'm planning to keep this thing for a decade like I typically do with my trucks. I do not know if the tranny is leaking, to me it looked like it was only the transfer case, but a fluid check is the way to find out. And believe me, if I check it and I think it is low, I'm off to the dealership on my day off because I do not want to damage the tranny...

#15 ·
Good the hear. about the proactive approach. I had an old K5 that used to leak the tranny fluid into the transfer case and then it leaked it out, but for the most part these things are two completely seperate items.

I think by gauge reversed they mean that the Hash Marks are only on one side.

#16 ·
Cool. I'm on it tomorrow!

I'll use my Big Tow tranny temp gauage to see if I can get the thing up to operating temps, it has been NASTY cold here lately.

And for a good laugh, my last auto tranny was in a 1973 Dodge Dart Demon, it was a little 3-speed tranny (or was it just Drive and Low?) and it was powered by the 225 slant I6. :)

#17 ·
When they say reversed from it's normal position they mean insert the dip stick with the hole for the bolt 180 degrees from it's normal bolt down position. Checked mine today. Trip prep.

#18 ·
Don't know what all these guages you are talking about are but... In general, The tranny fluid should be checked at operating tempreture with the engine running. This is to allow for fluid expansion....cold readings are not accurate.

To get to operating temp...drive the truck around for about 20 minutes come back...put it in park and check the fluid level however it is done on a Titan.

#21 ·
I read through all these posts just to find out some noob bumped a 9 year old thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.