Nissan Titan Forum banner

Should you consider buying a new Titan. Honest Opinion from Titan Owner

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Quartz 
#1 ·
This isn't my first Titan. However I purchased a new 2011 Titan SV CrewCab 4x4 in dec. This is my opinion on the truck... I owned a 2001 F150 SuperCrew that I loved and had no major problems with for 200k miles so I originally went shopping for a ford. The best price I was able to find on a Ford truck with compatable options to this Titan was $33k on a truck that stickered at $38k. I then looked into a Tundra and Ram. The Ram I could have purchased for $28500 with a sticker of $38k and the Tundra $29600 with a sticker of $36k. However after a couple weeks of shopping I was able to find a new Titan that stickered at $36905 and buy for $23850. Wow how could you beat that. I mean worse case scenerio all the money I saved from the other 3 I could buy a whole new drive train. I originally found some corks in the truck that I didn't like with the downshifting and fan, however they seemed to have worked themselves out as I broke the truck in. At 12k miles I couldn't be happier with the truck. Compared to the other 3 trucks I feel the Titan has the most room in the crewcab and even though it lacks horsepower I think it has the most throttle response. It doesn't ride as quiet as the Ford but hey its a truck and def quiet enough for any blue collar worker. AS far as gas mileage it is a real dog around town at maybe 10 mpg but oddly enough on the highway I get close to 20mpg at a 60mph cruise. The truck does excellent on the beach and off road. Dollar for dollar if you shop around the Titan is gonna cost you much less. And the truth is I don't think you're getting much less of a truck. I think in 04 when the Titan first came out it wasn't as heavy duty of a truck as Ford. However I think Ford is getting top dollar for their trucks because of how good their past trucks were, and don't think the new trucks are as well built as the older ones, 97-03 to be more specific. All the other trucks have been redesigned except the Titan. In 04 the Titan had the most power but the least heavy duty truck. However today I feel the Titan is as heavy duty as the other trucks that are available. I mean look at the Fords, their rear chrome bumper isn't chrome all the way across and will fold up in an accident. The Fords and other 2 have more horsepower but you really have to rev them to get that throttle response. The titan just jumps when you hit the gas. Finally a lot of the Ford and Dodge parts are not made here in the US but rather in China. At least the Titan is made in Japan and I'd rather own something that is built in Japan then China any day of the week. Nissan put bigger front rotors on the Titan to solve the problem they were having with the older models and all together I feel this is a very well built truck and by FAR the best value for a full size truck. However you will have to shop around, but you should be able to get an equally equiped Titan for about 6-10k less then some of the other manufacturers.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good ole American Riceburner :) , correct me if im wrong but isn't the trans or motor built in Tennessee???

#4 ·
Yep, motors built in Tennesse, but everything is put together in Mississippi.

#5 ·
I thought everything except the motor and trans were built in the USA. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the tranny and engine are the only things built in Japan. Everything else is made here in the good ol U S of A.

Sent from my REAL iPhone 7 given to me before uncle Stevie died using El Autoguide 10.6 :)

#6 ·
Put the money you saved in the engine and smoke them all.

#7 ·
Nissan North America - U.S. Manufacturing
Nissan has three production plants in the United States - in Smyrna and Decherd, Tennessee, and Canton, Mississippi. Production at Nissan's Smyrna Plant began in June 1983. The vehicle assembly plant has an annual production capacity of 550,000 vehicles and represents a capital investment of $2.5 billion. The plant produces the Nissan Altima, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Xterra, Nissan Frontier and Nissan Pathfinder.

The vehicle assembly plant in Canton, Mississippi, began producing vehicles in May 2003. The $1.4 billion plant now produces the Nissan Altima, Nissan Quest, Nissan Armada, Nissan Titan and Infiniti QX56. The plant has an annual production capacity of 400,000 vehicles.

Nissan's powertrain assembly plant in Decherd, Tennessee, began production in May 1997. Today the plant manufactures all the engines for the complete lineup of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles produced in the U.S. The plant also forges crankshafts, and cylinder block casting operations will begin in the spring of 2008.

Nissan North America - Smyrna
983 Nissan Drive
Smyrna, TN 37167
Phone: (615) 459-1400

Nissan North America - Canton
300 Nissan Drive
Canton, MS 39046
Phone: (601) 855-6010

Nissan North America - Decherd
520 Nissan Powertrain Drive
Decherd, TN 37324
Phone: (931) 962-5000

#8 ·
Thanks fish. I remembered a thread with a big debate about where the power plant and drive train was made and I remember ppl saying it was japan. But cold hard facts are just that. Thanks again brochacho!

Sent from my REAL iPhone 7 given to me before uncle Stevie died using El Autoguide 10.6 :)

Reactions: FishnAlaska
#9 · (Edited)
Well thats a whole lot better they are built here in the US being I served 12 years in the US military. If I am correct though aren't Ford and some of the other manufacturers having their parts made in China these days? And the Titan drivetrain is from Japan? Either way I was posting a good review on the Titan and how its a good value for the money.

#10 ·
I'm pretty sure the older Titan engines and transmissions were manufactured in Japan. I have no idea what years were involved.

#11 ·
I don't think the engine was ever made in Japan, maybe the tranny on the early models.

#13 ·
This is our first Titian, but our 5th Nissan. It was an easy decision for us as we have come to really like Nissans. The only other truck we looked was the Dodge Ram. Nice truck with the Hemi. Could not tell much difference the in the seat of the pants horse power meter between the two. The day we drove them both it was over 100 degrees. The Nissan seemed to have a much better A/C so that's what we got.

#14 ·
Its awesome their made ( assembled ) here in the US. But the parts are from Japan correct? I wanted to make it clear from this post to someone that may be looking for a Titan that you are able to purchase the truck much cheaper then a Ford, Dodge, or Toyota. I'm not saying its a better truck then the other 3 but certainly has its pros. I think with the markups and rebates that what you are able to buy a Titan for it is the best value. The pros are it has a ton or room in the back of the crewcab, a ton of torque, its a decent riding truck and shifts smoothly, it does great offroad, fine towing, has a solid rear chrome bumper which the ford does not, its not too bad on gas on the highway, and overall I think it is a well built truck especially the drivetrain. Keep in mind I was able to buy an equally equiped Titan for almost $10k less then the Ford. The Ford has much better resale value but I don't think you are comparing apples to apples. To my knowledge their are about 10 F150s sold for each Titan that is sold in this country. This statistic shows that an F150 is in much more demand and will hold its value better. But too pay an extra 10k dollars for the same truck is crazy to me. Dodge makes a good truck but again it was about $5k more with an employee number. I wanted to share this info because I spent weeks shopping around and in the area where I live these were the best prices I was able to get after much negotiating. MY friend bought an 11 Ram quadcab hemi slt 4x4 for $31600. The truck stickered at $38k. He could have got a few more grand off if he was more patient and negotiated more. Its a nice truck but he paid 8k more then I paid . They had a leftover 2011 advertised a couple months ago by me for $22k it was 4x4 extended cab. You may have talked them down to $21k Idk, but this was a brand new full size truck with a 5.6V8, 4 wheel drive, backseat, auto and cd/air. This is priced about the same as a midsize car how can you beat it?

#15 ·
One thing to remember about Ford, Chevy & GM's (Dodge not so much) is that they have tens of thousands of fleet contracts for work trucks worldwide so the sales numbers are skewed. They've been making versions of work related trucks for over 40 years while Nissan has been in the full size truck market for less than 10 years and has one version that might be considered for a fleet work truck.

I'm not saying Ford, Dodge, Chevy & GM don't make some decent trucks, but I agree that the Titan beats them hands down for value for your money.

#17 ·
I bought my t a week after my uncle bought his f150. Hey got the top of the line towing/off rd model. I got the pro4x. Side by side, my t has more steel in the body and under carriage than his. He ask me about the oil pan/engine protector that he paid big time for. I saw a small plate bolted under his truck, whereas mine comes from far behind the engine and protects everything. It even comes up to the bumper. The bumpers on my t are all steel whereas on the ford they are only partially steel. He gets 15.5 MPG highway and I get almost 18 highway. He get 14 city and I get 12.5 city. Hope this info helps out

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#19 ·
trust me when i tell ya , ive had my titan for 2.5 weeks . it is a better all around truck than a dodge or a chevy. coming from an 2012 -2500 dodge with the hemi, nothing but trouble from the 3 day of ownership.. bought it brand new and got rid of it 3 months later and with 27oo miles ...... good ridins dodge

#20 ·
Should you consider buying a new Titan?

I did. When my 06 was rear ended and totaled, I replaced it with a 2011. They are very different trucks though. The 11 is much smoother and more comfortable than the 06. The 06 was a brute. All in all I think I liked the brute better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.