Towing with tailgate down - SMASH - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 05:57 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Towing with tailgate down - SMASH

I put my off road bike in the bed and it just sticks over the tailgate, so I must leave it down. I also tow my popup camper at the same time. Unfortunately, the handle and tube that raises and lowers the forward wheel on the popup is only about an inch from the tailgate. When I back up it inevitably smashes the plastic on the top of the tailgate or on the plastic faceplate on the tailgate. I'm talking some big ugly gouges. Anyone else have this problem? Anyway to prevent it?

2004 SE Kingcab 4x4
Deepwater
SE Popular
Utility Bed Package
Born May 2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 06:42 PM

Location: In the windy Columbia Gorge, in Washington, the state
It's a common and expensive problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman
I put my off road bike in the bed and it just sticks over the tailgate, so I must leave it down. I also tow my popup camper at the same time. Unfortunately, the handle and tube that raises and lowers the forward wheel on the popup is only about an inch from the tailgate. When I back up it inevitably smashes the plastic on the top of the tailgate or on the plastic faceplate on the tailgate. I'm talking some big ugly gouges. Anyone else have this problem? Anyway to prevent it?
Motoman,

I had a Ram pickup and accidentally left the gate down while towing my trailer.

Talk about an expensive mistake... $450 and a tailgate later I now always remember to put the gate up.

What happened: The trailer jack clears just fine when you're driving straight. Go around a corner and the geometry of the hitch and truck dictate that the gate will smash into the jack tube. It does it equally on both sides, I might add. Leaves a real serious wrinkle all the way to about 1/3 down in the gate.

How to prevent it? Find a way to put the gate up!

Steamguy

Deepwater Blue, when it's not Dirt Brown. Yes, this truck is used as a TRUCK. If I wanted something to sit in the driveway and look pretty, I'd have bought another motorcycle.
Trailer-puller, meadow work truck, thrill ride for a rescued Golden.
Born 11/11/03, first one sold in the county, still the original owner.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 07:01 PM

You may try replacing the roll up wheel on your camper with the kind that you can pull a pin and rotate it horizontal.

Born-4/27/04
Adopted-7/25/04
Smoke SE CC 4X4
Popular Captain, Big Tow, Utili-trak, Bed Extender,Fog Lights, OEM Seat Covers, Truxedo Lo Pro, Xm SkiFi 2, Bushwacker FenderFlares, APS Billet Grill, Weathertech Vent Visors, Lund Bug Shield, Stainless Door Pillars, Stainless Window Sills, Chrome Tailgate trim, Challanger Tube Steps, X-Pel Paint Protection, Front Tint, PIAA Silicone Wipers, Gibson 3" Stainless Single, Volant CAI, Airaid TB Spacer, ECO Fuel System, 2% Timing Advance, Active Tuning Ground Kit, DR Coilovers , Total Chaos arms, Bilstien 5100s, Deaver 2 1/2" Rear Spring Pack, Pro Comp Extreme 1079s. BFG AT 315x70x17, LM Bull Bar, PIAA Driving Lights, Wireless Keypad, Remote Start, under seat gun safe
#4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 08:34 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiXLL
You may try replacing the roll up wheel on your camper with the kind that you can pull a pin and rotate it horizontal.
I had one of those on my boat and really missed it when I got the camper. The only problem is sometimes you would have to drive the truck rear wheels up on blocks to get enough clearance to get the jack back down to remove the trailer.

BORN ON 02/04 LE CC 4X4 OFFROAD White, DVD, Daytime running lights , Ultrasonic parking sensors,
Wade OEM deflector , Weatherflectors, ,Jason Hugger fiberglass toneau, Clear Shield film front paint ,Front window tint match to back, Cobra radar detector (hardwired) PRG 2" lift, Carbotech brakes & SS brake lines, Magnaflow catback dual exhaust, Chrome tailgate trim, Fatmat/Rattle trap sound deadener.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 08:38 PM

Can you put your bike in at an angle so the tailgate can close?

Or devise a way to have the tailgate slightly tilted up. 45 degree's or something to where the rear tire could rest on it, but it would still be up far enough to clear the trailer lift. I could swear I've seen guys with the tailgate not down, not up but in the middle...
#6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:15 PM

I had a CR500 in the back of my King Cab, I just lifted the rear wheel up onto the tail gate with it closed. I have also hauled snowmobiles that way. Also you can buy or have made a hitch extension. It is a tube with a male end that goes in your receiver and a female end to put your hitch on.

I used an extension a long time ago with a 11.5' camper on an 8' bed to haul a 21' ski boat. did it for 3 years.

Or as mentioned it might go in on an angel.

Sorry for the bad experience, but there are ways.

I also use tie downs and pull my tailgate up against my ATV in the back by putting the hooks in the tailgate latch like you hook a bed extender then cinching it up to the tie down cleats.

Last edited by Kong; 09-12-2004 at 09:18 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:20 PM

Angry

i was letting a friend back my boat up and he had the tailgate down so he could see. he couldn't drive very well and jack knifed the boat. dinged the top of the tailgate and messed up the plastic cap but i bought a new cap for 30 bucks

RICK : TITAN NO MORE
I like the sound when i push the pedal down!!
I GET BORED UNLESS IT'S FLOORED

TRADED FOR A LIMITED 4X4 1999 4RUNNER

SILVER KC SE 4x4
rf w/captains
chrome bed rails
air box mod w/kn drop in
jba exhaust
wade bug shield
side window ventvisors
billet lower grill
line x liner
factory step rails
AVS headlight accents
#8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong
I had a CR500 in the back of my King Cab, I just lifted the rear wheel up onto the tail gate with it closed. I have also hauled snowmobiles that way. Also you can buy or have made a hitch extension. It is a tube with a male end that goes in your receiver and a female end to put your hitch on.

I used an extension a long time ago with a 11.5' camper on an 8' bed to haul a 21' ski boat. did it for 3 years.

Or as mentioned it might go in on an angel.

Sorry for the bad experience, but there are ways.

I also use tie downs and pull my tailgate up against my ATV in the back by putting the hooks in the tailgate latch like you hook a bed extender then cinching it up to the tie down cleats.
Kong,
You listed some preety good ideas, I'll investigate.

2004 SE Kingcab 4x4
Deepwater
SE Popular
Utility Bed Package
Born May 2004
#9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:19 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to goathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by mininsx
Can you put your bike in at an angle so the tailgate can close?

Or devise a way to have the tailgate slightly tilted up. 45 degree's or something to where the rear tire could rest on it, but it would still be up far enough to clear the trailer lift. I could swear I've seen guys with the tailgate not down, not up but in the middle...
i would recommend not to do this just b/c you dont want to get at the angle that the tailgate will come out. (around 45 degrees).

steve

steve

Born 02/04-Smoke CC SE 4x4-OR-BT
TRUE-FLOW® panel filter-LEER® 100R TOPPER-NCD® 4x4 Level Kit-
2nd set GoRhino® Dominator II™Nerf Bars-RUSTED ALSO- 2°Timing Advance
Arizona Differential DANA 60 Conversion-JBA Cat-Back
MID-MISSOURI'S FINEST FLOAT TUBE ASSOCIATION
#10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman

if you have a reciever hitch find a longer tonge, if your using the bumper w/ a ball get a reciever hitch.

2005 2wd SE Crew Cab (traded off with 141000 great miles)

2011 Frontier SV CC LB 4x4
Curt hitch
Scanguage II
+2 degree Timing advance
30% tint on front windows
Diamondplate aluminum chest toolbox and wheelwell box
Touch screen HU with DVD, rear view camera and BT
Universal gps mount for my phone
Angel eye foglights
TruXedo Trucksport tonno
Hypertech max Energy
Lift 2" front, 1.5 back

#11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathead
i would recommend not to do this just b/c you dont want to get at the angle that the tailgate will come out. (around 45 degrees).

steve
YIKES!! I'm glad you'd thought of that because I didnt...

But I also havent really looked at it as I've not had this problem and I havent needed to take the tailgate off...

Could you devise a way to keep it at a different angle other than the one that lets it come out but would still cure your ill?
#12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to fklentz Send a message via Yahoo to fklentz
If you only need a few inches try deflating the tires on the bike once it's loaded in the bed.
#13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:52 PM

I made some straps made of 5/16" sleeved cable and some aluminum crimps that I got from the local home improvent center (Home Depot, Lowes) It allows me to open my gate a few degrees in order to fit a bike in the bed (straight) and have the gate almost up. Each end of the cable loops around into a crimp. The eyes fit over the pin on the truck wall and the gate's latch.

04 KingCab LE 4x4
Deep Water
Big Tow Package
Utility Bed/Track System
B+W Goose Neck Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
Mr.Clean Auto Dry Package
Sportz Truck Tent II
#14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:29 PM

motoman,

I'd recomment taking you're receiver ball mount to a welding shop and having them weld on some extra hollow metal to extend the length of your ball mount out and away from your vehicle. If you have a standard reese (walmart) lightweight package for your trailer, then they can just extend the length with 2 pieces of c-channel steel welded together, redrill the pin hole, and you can repaint it. I would expect that about a 4-6" "push out" of the ball should be sufficient for most any tight backing situations, but YMMV.
#15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg w
I had one of those on my boat and really missed it when I got the camper. The only problem is sometimes you would have to drive the truck rear wheels up on blocks to get enough clearance to get the jack back down to remove the trailer.
GregW, if you were sagging that low, you had too much tongue weight, should have been using a wieght dist hitch!

motoman, Jc Whitney has your cure on sale now!
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...90004195TH0804

Born-4/27/04
Adopted-7/25/04
Smoke SE CC 4X4
Popular Captain, Big Tow, Utili-trak, Bed Extender,Fog Lights, OEM Seat Covers, Truxedo Lo Pro, Xm SkiFi 2, Bushwacker FenderFlares, APS Billet Grill, Weathertech Vent Visors, Lund Bug Shield, Stainless Door Pillars, Stainless Window Sills, Chrome Tailgate trim, Challanger Tube Steps, X-Pel Paint Protection, Front Tint, PIAA Silicone Wipers, Gibson 3" Stainless Single, Volant CAI, Airaid TB Spacer, ECO Fuel System, 2% Timing Advance, Active Tuning Ground Kit, DR Coilovers , Total Chaos arms, Bilstien 5100s, Deaver 2 1/2" Rear Spring Pack, Pro Comp Extreme 1079s. BFG AT 315x70x17, LM Bull Bar, PIAA Driving Lights, Wireless Keypad, Remote Start, under seat gun safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top