How to get a new master key? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How to get a new master key?

So I have lost my master key, and my local nissan dealer charges $140 to replace that key. Could I just buy a master key off of eBay and have it cut at lowes to match my valet key? Would that allow the key to open all compartments and start the truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM

Re: How to get a new master key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx8shane View Post
So I have lost my master key, and my local nissan dealer charges $140 to replace that key. Could I just buy a master key off of eBay and have it cut at lowes to match my valet key? Would that allow the key to open all compartments and start the truck?
Master?? Do you mean transponder? If so, You can find one at a specialty key place for a bit less than the dealership. Alternatively, yes, you can buy one off of ebay then go get it programmed.

Another thread that might help Transponder coding?

Beer makes me smarterer
2009 CC long bed, extra napkins in glove box, ejector seat, 2* timing advance, a couple pens and paper along with a flashlight and candy in center console, Justin Bieber needs to die, I turn the wipers on when it rains, cabin air filters, headlights are good at night, junk mail gets thrown in back seat, forward launching napalm, washing machine parts and tow strap in rear door pocket, flux capacitor, & a full tank of gas.

Recently added: Herpes all over stereo bezel, spider nest in flux capacitor, really bad fart/vomit smell once windows are touched...door handles are where I keep my booger collection.

Last edited by FloppyKnockers; 01-07-2013 at 09:35 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 6,309 Times in 4,290 Posts
iTrader Score: 20 reviews
IIRC, the dealer charges $100 plus the key cost. Or buy a flip key off eBay, and have it cut and programmed

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

MeatBeaterWhore™ TwinTwit #1 "The Big O" Maverick!
GO DUCKS!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 AM

I had to replace mine recently. See if they will go down to half hour labor. If you need a key fob I found some on amazon for $10 compared to $120 from Nissan. They really shouldn't charge you more than half hour labor and the blank key. But to answer your question you should be able to have the master key cut for under $25 and out the door without program to open compartments. Assuming you have a key that will start your truck.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I think he means master key referring to the one that opens the locking center console because the spare keys can't open it.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using AutoGuide App

2008 KC 2WD SE
MODS HERE!
#6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx8shane View Post
A cut key will do all of what you ask EXCEPT start the truck. You will need the key programmed by a locksmith or dealer. I've also heard some ACE hardware stores have a key programmer.

~Mark

2009 Titan SE CC- 325/60/18 Nittos/OEM Rims/Westin Bull Bar/ProComp 6" Lift/Bilstein 5100 fronts/5125 Rear/RC Traction Bars/Borla ProXS/Cajun B-Pipes/BDGT/Airaid MXP CAI
#7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Premium User

Thanked 6,309 Times in 4,290 Posts
iTrader Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VQP0WER View Post
A cut key will do all of what you ask EXCEPT start the truck. You will need the key programmed by a locksmith or dealer. I've also heard some ACE hardware stores have a key programmer.
I took my key to ACE, TruValue and Home Depot (all advertising they could program) and they all ran me out. The only place that would touch the damn thing, was the dealer that cut it for free! Programming it wasn't free, so I used the transponder out of my spare.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

MeatBeaterWhore™ TwinTwit #1 "The Big O" Maverick!
GO DUCKS!
#8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Premium User

Thanked 3,296 Times in 2,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VQP0WER View Post
Yes some Ace hardware have it except I think it has to be their key. They have a machine to "clone/mimic" the transport chip. I don't think they can program a Nissan key. At least that's how the guy at Ace explained it to me.

Sent from my 2005 Red Alert Titan via the Autoguide app on my ASUS Transformer.

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
#9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM

Is there anyway you could program them yourself? I would hate to pay for something I could do

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutton View Post
Is there anyway you could program them yourself? I would hate to pay for something I could do

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
No.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

~Mark

2009 Titan SE CC- 325/60/18 Nittos/OEM Rims/Westin Bull Bar/ProComp 6" Lift/Bilstein 5100 fronts/5125 Rear/RC Traction Bars/Borla ProXS/Cajun B-Pipes/BDGT/Airaid MXP CAI
#11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Yes i am talking about the key with the chrome logo. I have the one with the black (valet) but not with the chrome. Sounds like ill have to buy a new key and have it programmed at a dealership. Ill buy the key off of amazon though. Thanks for the help!
#12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM

I have a few questions with this.

1. I went to a locksmith today who wasn't able to pull the chip code to program a key for me. I figured while I was there i would have him cut one for me that could be used to open the doors since it was only $3. Now that I have a key that is cut with the pattern on my master key....if I would ever loose my key with the chip...could I take this plain cut key to Nissan to get one cut and programed?

2. With the plain cut key (no chip) i tried to start the engine just to see for myself. Well it tried to crank but wouldn't turn over as expected. I have a remote start installed on the truck. If i would start the truck with the remote start and then put the plain cut key in the ignition to the "ON" postion do you think it would continue to run...or would that also require a chipped key?

thanks
#13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Premium User

Thanked 3,296 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedietz View Post
I have a few questions with this.

1. I went to a locksmith today who wasn't able to pull the chip code to program a key for me. I figured while I was there i would have him cut one for me that could be used to open the doors since it was only $3. Now that I have a key that is cut with the pattern on my master key....if I would ever loose my key with the chip...could I take this plain cut key to Nissan to get one cut and programed?

2. With the plain cut key (no chip) i tried to start the engine just to see for myself. Well it tried to crank but wouldn't turn over as expected. I have a remote start installed on the truck. If i would start the truck with the remote start and then put the plain cut key in the ignition to the "ON" postion do you think it would continue to run...or would that also require a chipped key?

thanks
1- The dealer can probably pull your key code using the VIN to cut a key without even needing your copy.
2- Since you have the remote start, just try it. I would think it should work.
There's also a thread that show how to attach your chip key to the NATS antenna, you could then use any unchipped key to start your engine.

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
#14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM

awesome ....thanks!!
#15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM

Guys, find a larger locksmith, or one that specializes in Automotive work. The dealer is a rip all the way. A good locksmith can cut and program far less than any dealer.

You will need ALL keys that you currently have for your truck at the time of programming, as the procedure erases all keys currently in the truck. If you have a mechanical key, the only difference between a master key, and a valet key is the grooving on the key. The cuts, and the chip are identical on Nissans. That is why the valey key will NOT go into the center console, etc...

If you have a remote start, you either have a key under your dash inside a override module, or the a transponder chip that was removed from a key and programmed. If you start it with the remote starter, then insert a plain metal key, it will continue to run, as the truck only checks for the transponder value at initial start up.

Let me know if you have any other questions on the keys, or the fobs.

P.S. No, you can't program the keys yourself, the truck must be connected to a diagnostic tool such as the Consult units, or one of a few programmers available to locksmiths to enter programming mode.

Rob
'05 SE KC Galaxy Black (sold)
'08 Pro-4X LWB Galaxy Black 4WD
Tow, Utility Bed, Rockford Fosgate
Captains Chairs,
PRG mini lift
Zoomers Cat-back exhaust
Hatchie Bottom Max-4 camo seat covers
Nissan Bug Guard
Chrome Nissan Running Boards
Husky Liners
Nismo CAI