Nissan Titan Forum banner

Cracked exhaust manifold

17K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  HRTKD 
#1 ·
Sooooo I have a titan with custom exhaust manifold cracks, at least I'm pretty sure I do. Sounds like an exhaust leak on cold starts and while the truck is cold but gets quieter when it warms up and is more apparent under load...... Anyway, I don't see the need for more power, therefore don't really want to go with headers, also don't want to have to change ECU settings and all the tuning that supposedly goes along with installing headers on these trucks. I am wondering if there is an option besides Nissan parts (that are obviously **** when it comes to exhaust manifolds). I have seen Pacesetter exhaust manifolds that are supposedly direct replacement for the stock manifolds, and have also found random off brand direct replacement exhaust manifolds. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do to replace my cracked Nissan exhaust manifolds with something as close to stock as possible but not going to crack again. Any input would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Headers are probably gonna be your most economical long term solution. JBA long tubes for around $400, uprev will run you around $500. JBA is great value, quality product. I think even if you go pacesetter you may require tuning after or at least get your afrs checked. Not sure which pacesetter products you're looking at but i remember seeing a slip fit header from them, which will probably leak. JBA is flanged, so with the right gasket you'll be leak free. If you're flex fuel you may get away without uprev after long tube header install, but your afrs well have to be checked to verify their in safe range or bad things can happen.

I considered pacesetter before i went JBA and asked around here and nobody had anything positive to say about them. Have no personal experience with their product, but i do with JBA and highly recommend them as many members on here do

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
#5 ·
Pacesetters have had fitment issues and their LT headers do not come with flanges. JBA longtubes are the best bet with price and quality. Not sure if I would trust the direct replacement P/S manifolds either. jmho...

#8 ·
If I did JBA and UPREV, Am I looking having to buy a new exhaust all the way through or can I just replace my manifolds with the JBA long tubes and UPREV tune and call it good? Do I need to pay someone to tune the UPREV in addition to the purchase? My truck has just over 100,000 miles, am I putting the truck in harms way by doing JBA and UPREV? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just looking to keep the truck for a while and like I said before don't really need extra ponies out of it, just want it right.

#10 ·
Re: Re: Cracked exhaust manifold

Not a problem with the questions, don't blame ya at all it's a big purchase. Did my headers at 110k ish. I went thru Seymore4, a member on here for uprev, buy the cable from him, you run datalogs email them to him and he dials you in and sends you the new tune. You can keep stock exhaust, just won't get full potential out of the headers, which doesn't sound like a concern to you anyways.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
CoTitanMoto, are you in Colorado? The front range specifically? The LT headers eliminate the front set of catalytic converters. This may make it difficult to pass emissions. I'm planning to get LT headers.

If you want to just replace what you have you might post up a WTB (Want to buy) thread to purchase manifolds from someone that went with headers.

#15 ·
PM sensibuddy, I just built a set for him with cats and he bought the JBA long tubes and lives down around BR. You will pass obd and sniffer emissions with JBA lt's and catted bpipes, Just not visuals and I dont think La does visuals down there.

#16 · (Edited)
You will pass obd and sniffer emissions with JBA lt's and catted bpipes, Just not visuals and I dont think La does visuals down there.
That's what I'm hoping. If I fail emissions then I'm planning to have a set of custom b-pipes made with two catalytic converters in them. I have no idea how feasible that is though.

With your work on the b-pipes have you looked into the different type of catalytic converters we have? At least on my Ranger the front and rear catalytic converters are different. One warms up faster than the other or something like that.

#23 ·
So I just had to get my truck inspected - exhaust all passed, the only issue was the tech's were all walking under it looking at what I had under there so I would not worry about that part. As for the UpRev, just log and re-flash is all you have to do - let the Cajun guys do the rest. My headers were both crack and I can not be happier with the end product. Now passing inspection was another story, will be replacing the LCA arms this week - oh fun....

#25 ·
Okay sorry this is a very old thread, but my drivers side exhaust manifold is cracked surprise surprise. My questions are: Is this worth taking to a muffler shop to weld? If they can't do that, if I do buy new headers, do I have to UpRev? My truck has 158K on it and i just spent $$ on repairing the rear axel seals. Sorry for the questions? I am not looking for a performance gain per se. I am looking for it to not sound like a POS with that annoying tick when it's cold.

#26 ·
IMO
Is this worth taking to a muffler shop to weld? No, you've already done all the work to get the mani off, just replace it with a JBA LT and be done

If they can't do that, if I do buy new headers, do I have to UpRev? Yes, or run the risk of running lean and blowing your motor.

Call Cajun (nightowl), yes, call him and he will walk you through the entire thing. I talked with him on the phone for 30 minutes before I ordered and he gave me tons of tips that helped a lot.

#29 ·
Welding the manifolds is a temporary fix that will crack again in a few months. There is way too much labor involved removing the manifolds to "temporary" fix with welding. JBA long tubes are the cheapest and best fix for the issue and Cajun has the entire package (Stage 1) to eliminate the issue and get you back on the road.

#30 ·
Welding on a manifold is a BAD idea. Welding heats up the metal and will weaken the the surrounding area. While the weld will be strong the the area around the weld will weaken by ~ 50% ... As said above, Don't do it ...

JBA shorties with OEM cats work great in Cali and its legal!

#31 ·
Sorry to jump off topic but I have a question for those of you that have replaced these manifolds. I just replaced both of mine and now have the old 2. I'm going to take them to a scrap yard and just wondered if anyone had any idea how much I should get for them so I don't get ripped off. Also, should I cut the converters off from the rest of the manifold? Thanks for your help

#32 ·
Every yard is different, I would leave everything in tact though. Call around and go with the highest bidder. I only got 70$ for my old bpipes and manifolds. Ive heard of guys getting 200 for all four.

#34 ·
I just sold my b pipes on ebay for 150. They only had 35,000 miles on them though.

#35 ·
i just went through this on my 2005 4x4 (102k). Called Cajun and talked through different options and emailed the uprev guy to go over options and timing of when things need to be done. i went with the JBA coated headers, B-pipes and uprev and had my local shop do all the install work. Per cajun recommendation i tossed the JBA gaskets and picked up a set of Nissan gaskets. Have been very happy with the results (local mechanic said it all just bolted right into place, about 8 hours for labor).

The uprev went well. a total of 3 installs as the uprev was tuned in for what i wanted and how my truck behaved. Very responsive to emails and my questions along the way and each time there was a new step to do he included a set of instructions as a reminder.

Now to find a buyer/scrapper for the old pipes and to sit back and enjoy!

#36 ·
Has anyone considered welding up the cracks in the old manifolds and keeping them as spares? Is that even possible? With all of the failures, that might be a good way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.