Nissan Titan Forum banner

Gas Tank Issues

43K views 139 replies 90 participants last post by  ktm292 
#1 ·
Ok, last week my wife goes to the gas station to fill the Titan up with gas. She comes home and says that she spilled gas everywhere while she was filling it up. She said she clicked the pump nozzle on auto and it just started spraying everywhere as if the tank was full. I said maybe it was the nozzle on the pump Then today, I go to fill it up and I start pumping and it spills out everywhere. I then go to another gas station to make sure it wasn't the pump and it does it again. Its like there is something obstructing the tank entry hole, but after I inspect the nozzle hole, I can find nothing. I call my Nissan dealer service department and he said that it was funny I say that because they had a problem with one on the lot this morning doing the same thing when a sales rep went to fill it up. He said to call in the morning after they have had a chance to look at the one on the lot and he would let me know what was up. Has anyone ever had this issue? If so what the heck is up? I have never had this happen so I don't have a clue what the problem could be.

#4 ·
I've only filled mine up twice, both times at separate BP stations but I've had a similar experience. The auto catch on the nozzle released, and then a few ounces of gasoline burbled to the top and down the side. This happened after about 3 seconds of filling. I solved the problem by re-seating the nozzle several times until it was "just right."

Kind of annoying.

Dan

#5 ·
I was going to mention this a few days ago but I thought for sure that everyone would think that I was nuts. My tank was empty so I pulled up to the station to fill 'er up. At first, the auto shut off kept engaging and I thought that was odd but sometimes you just have to reposition the nozzle. Once I got it to stay on, I turned away for a moment. A second later I hear water (gas) pouring onto the concrete. I turned around and gas is spewing from the fuel filler inlet. I stopped pumping, cleaned it up, and drove away. I managed about $1.50 in fuel and knew that I needed more. When I got closer to home, I went to another station and tried again. This time all was fine. I have no idea what happened but it sure did make me nervous...go figure.

#6 ·
I have never had this problem with my Titan. You might try dispensing the gasoline at a slower rate...maybe one click less on the pump handle. Put the nozzle all the way in the filler, and slow it down.
Worth a try???

#10 ·
Same problem here

I have had the same problem, at first I thought it was the gas station pump I was using just acting up. However it has continued to do it no matter what gas station I am at. This is a safety hazard! Not to mention it takes forever to fill the tank because you have to run the pump by hand real slow to get it to fill and even then it still will overflow. Heard of any service bulletins?

#11 ·
i wonder if it has something to do with the angle of the nozzle. if the nozzle hangs low outside the vehicle then it could be shooting gas high in the tank. i've had problems with several other vehicles when dispensing gas at full bore. it's never sprayed, but it will cut off almost instantaneously. i can't believe so many people have had this happen....

#13 ·
Same here, it does the same thing to me every time I go to fill up. I just hate it when the gas gets all on my paint ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

-Shane

#15 ·
Cool. I've had the pump kick off on me too. That's a lot of TITAN fueling problems there. Someone alert NISSAN!

#20 ·
Had the same problem happen to me yesterday. Like others, I thought it was the station so I moved on to another only to have it happen again. Right now it’s sitting at up at the dealer and now after a day of looking at it they have asked if they could keep it until tomorrow, I figured, sure why not, it’s out of gas anyway. The service rep said the techs have been on the phone with Nissan and researching TSB’s to see if this has happened elsewhere. If this forum is any representation it sounds like that should be an easy task. If all goes well they’ll have it fixed tomorrow.

Odd part is that I have over 13,000 miles of trouble free fillups.

#21 ·
omg, what a coincidence!!!! just this morning on the way to work, i had to fill her up. this was my 4th or 5th tank since my purchase. NEVER had a problem until this morning. the nozzle would click off after about a gallon like it was full or something. i did it again, and it kept clicking off. then i noticed there was a little bit of fuel that was spilling out. so i held the nozzle at a steeper angle and started to fill the tank slowly, then finally my arm was getting tired, so i squeezed the trigger to the max, and no problems. i cant believe almost everyone is having this problem at the same time lol. anyways, on a good note, my mileage per gallon is still increasing. woot woot!!!
kev

#22 ·
We used to have similar problems at our gas station. When John Holmes' adult movie career was fading, he took a job at our station to make ends meet. He was a hard worker "in the usual sense, not the movie sense", but we had to let him go. Whenever he finished filling up a gas tank, he would pull the nozzle out and spray gasoline all over the car. :jester:

Sorry, that's an old Bob and Tom joke, funniest radio show in America.

#23 ·
Me to, I finally thought is was full, just to take off an see it was at 3/4 never ever occured until this last filllup.??? Anyone in AZ? maybe something changed on the full nossel regs?

anyway no biggee yet.

#24 ·
Just happened to me for the first time this morning. The pump started then sprayed all over and shut off. It was like the tube was blocked. I took it out and started over again and there wasn't any problem. Its weird I have over 10,000 miles of trouble free fill ups.

#25 ·
Well I got my truck back from the dealer and wouldn’t you know it they weren’t able to duplicate the problem. In the end I managed to get a tank of gas out of it but I would have liked a positive solution to the problem instead. She said she’d let me know the final response from Nissan technical when I come back to have my RF replaced. I’ve had great service and support from this dealer in the past so I’m confident that one day they’ll be able to fix the problem once and for all.

#26 ·
Could it be we are all experiencing this all of the sudden due to the change in weather. It is not cold here in Mississippi but it has gone from 90's to mid 70's and low 80's. Who knows? Its weird that this is just starting to happen and I just turned 6000 miles. It is driving me crazy because it did it again today. I moved the nozzle a little and it was ok for a while then it started making that gargling sound like it was about to spew. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow because there is obviously something not right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.