Subwoofer install - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Subwoofer install

Before I begin I would like some advice (lessons learned) from those who have done a subwoofer install for a Titan.

Is there an easy way to access the battery through the firewall?
Would 2 10" subwoofers be overkill?
Did the rattles increase after the subwoofer install? (need to use dynamat)
Which box do you recommend? I will either be using Polk, RF, or Kicker subs and Kicker, Alpine, or RF amp.

Also I also wanted to put a bass tube in my Wife’s Maxima. Anyone have an opinion on the bass tube?

Titan SE
King Cab
Big Tow
Utility Bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:37 AM

no such thing as overkill =) if i could, i would put half a dozen 15's in the bed. Im a bass head. I too am putting two 10's in my truck. I found a place on ebay that would build a box and cover it in OEM carpet for $130 shipped. I get it next Wednesday or so. So.......I guess I'll let you know next week!

Oh, and yes your rattle will increase. Probably. Really depends on how high powered your subs are. In my old accord I had two 12's that would make the bolts work themselves off of the nuts on all sorts of things.

Gone but not forgotten -

I miss you titan!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Cool..let me know about that box. What did you use to take the door panels etc off? How about easy access to the battery? I used to install car audio way back when Fosgate was new so it has been a long while. Any prewire output for an amp on the back of the factory stereo?

Thanks again

Titan SE
King Cab
Big Tow
Utility Bed
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 11:25 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to phillipyang
I can make the sub boxes but I have no clue on which speakers and subs i should be using. I don't even know if our headunit is even enough for all these upgrades. Time for a new HU and AMP.

then i'm thinking...is music really necessary at that level?

increase MPG by muffler system sounds a better tradeoff. lol just my .02

Nissan Titan LE 4x2 CC
Purchased: Feb 2004
Miles to date: 74,000 (Since Feb, 15 2004)
Mods: Banks Cat Back Exhaust System, K&N with arbox mod, Front Air Dam, Custom bed cover, AC/DC interior conversion, PSP/Ipod Dock
http://www.phillipyang.com
University of Southern California 08
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412
no such thing as overkill =) if i could, i would put half a dozen 15's in the bed. Im a bass head. I too am putting two 10's in my truck. I found a place on ebay that would build a box and cover it in OEM carpet for $130 shipped. I get it next Wednesday or so. So.......I guess I'll let you know next week!

Oh, and yes your rattle will increase. Probably. Really depends on how high powered your subs are. In my old accord I had two 12's that would make the bolts work themselves off of the nuts on all sorts of things.

I too am looking for a box for under the rear seat to hold 2 10'' subwoofers. Can you respond with the site or dealer on e-bay. I've gone to 3 different car audio places and they've quoted me $250-$350 for a custom build box for 2 10's.

Thanks
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 11:56 AM

Hemietr, i was in th same posistion. no way was i going to spend 350 for a plain mdf sealed box. the box i bought from ebay is probably the same thing any local shop would build but they were willing to do it ALOT cheaper and they offered OEM carpet for a good price. just go to ebay and type in "titan sub box" i'll look and post a link in few minutes for you.

and mikepsyched, im sorry, im actually not running the wire myself. i used to on all my previous cars, but this is my first brand new truck and id rather pay a little and have a shop take things apart. that way if its broken, its on them not me. all im going to do is wire up and mount the subs in the box and let them do the rest.

Gone but not forgotten -

I miss you titan!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 11:57 AM

heres what i bought.

http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...partner=777701

currently there are no more of these on ebay, but i noticed they put them up every couple days. give em a call and see whats up. as soo as i get mine, i'll let everyone know of the quality.

Gone but not forgotten -

I miss you titan!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 04:14 PM

Quote:
heres what i bought.

http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...partner=777701

currently there are no more of these on ebay, but i noticed they put them up every couple days. give em a call and see whats up. as soo as i get mine, i'll let everyone know of the quality.

Antwon412,

Thanks for the info on that. I plan on going with the Fosgate's or JL Audio myself. I've always had/been impressed with the Rockford. Heard good things about JL Audio through.

By the way I see you have the Flowmaster 40's. Was it worth it just changing the muffler in the performance sense? I'm sure it was in the sound sense.
Thanks
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,882 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
"What did you use to take the door panels etc off?"

A butter knife, phillips screwdriver, metric socket set, panel removal tool.

"How about easy access to the battery?"

There is a 1/2 inch rubber plug on the firewall under the driver's side dash, just above the hood latch cable grommet.

"Any prewire output for an amp on the back of the factory stereo?"

No RCAs. I used Scosche connectors (one for the harness & also the reverse for the HU, Nissan 1995 & Up) and a LOC.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:18 PM

hemietr - i've always used fosgate. always. i love them. but honestly, nowadays i've heard jl is better. but i still stuck to fosgate. I got some killer stuff real cheap on ebay. check out the HX2 subs. thats what i got. i would have gotten the newer ones but the mounting depth was too much. these will fit easier. and the amps have always been mazing. they always underrate their amps and are one of the few amps that can really hold a 1 ohm load. (in my experiance) my amps rated at 1000 watss rms at 2 ohms. i will be running it at 1 ohm so i'll be pushing a lot of power. the older fosgate amps could handle it fine, so hopefully this newer one will too.

as for the flows, performance wise, i didnt see much change. but @ 305/379 i dont know if i would really be able to tell much anyway. i mostly just wanted the sound. and it sounds GREAT. and i have both tips coming out on one side, sport style on the passenger side. so its not too noisy to me.

Gone but not forgotten -

I miss you titan!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:41 PM

Quote:
hemietr - i've always used fosgate. always. i love them. but honestly, nowadays i've heard jl is better. but i still stuck to fosgate. I got some killer stuff real cheap on ebay. check out the HX2 subs. thats what i got. i would have gotten the newer ones but the mounting depth was too much. these will fit easier. and the amps have always been mazing. they always underrate their amps and are one of the few amps that can really hold a 1 ohm load. (in my experiance) my amps rated at 1000 watss rms at 2 ohms. i will be running it at 1 ohm so i'll be pushing a lot of power. the older fosgate amps could handle it fine, so hopefully this newer one will too.

as for the flows, performance wise, i didnt see much change. but @ 305/379 i dont know if i would really be able to tell much anyway. i mostly just wanted the sound. and it sounds GREAT. and i have both tips coming out on one side, sport style on the passenger side. so its not too noisy to me.

Thanks for all the input..
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Just look at my sig and this will give you a idea what you can do with your truck.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
You will get rattles..Our trucks like to rattle it's a very plasticky truck. You should dynomat without a doubt, it will really help out but not cure rattles. It of course depends on what kind of system you want to install. If your looking for high quality mind blowing sound then yes you will get lot's of rattles.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 03:55 PM

looks like it is down firing.

They suck.

Get a new up firing.

04' White SE CC 4x4- Graphite w/ BT Package
Born 5/04 Purshased 8/04

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 05:15 PM

i've never had a sealed box before. i heard that a down firing box gives you more of an ambient bass while a up firing is more directional. untrue? this box is really only temporary. as soon as i can afford it, i plan to have a fiberglass box custum built.

Gone but not forgotten -

I miss you titan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top