Leaking rear differential - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:42 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to travism Send a message via Yahoo to travism
Leaking rear differential

I have what I would guess to be differential fluid seeping out of the diff cover around the bolts on one side. I noticed one other member mention this in another thread that I didn't want to hijack. Does anyone else have this problem? I checked the fluid a couple months ago and the fluid level was very close to where it should be, so I left it. Now I have to bend my pinky at the first joint to touch it. I plan to take it to the dealer and have them look at it and have been putting off changing to synthetic to make sure they don't dump out brand new oil when fixing the cover.

When I take it in is it reasonable to ask that the dealer replace the entire cover, preferably with the new finned cover? My other option is to top it off and keep an eye on it and wait until the new cover is more available to have a better shot at getting the new cover under warranty. Any thoughts? Thanks.

'04 Titan SE King Cab 2WD Deep Water
Popular Pkg w/ Captains, Big Tow
Added: OEM step rails & splash guards, leaf spring helpers, Line-X, TruXedo LoPro tonneau, Wade In-channel window visors
Born 6/3/04, Bought 7/5/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:44 AM

I thought it was supposed to be a LOCKING rear differential.....

Sorry. I have to try and find a sense of humor in these trying times.

Good luck to you. Things could be much worse.

Copper LE CC 4X4
Off-Road & Big Tow Packages
Born 5/17/04
Severely wounded 12/4/04
#3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 09:09 AM

Don't feel bad Travism, went to the dealership on Saturday for my 3rd brake job and one of the guys mentioned that they have had a few in for leaking rear diff's.

Sold 9/14/07
#4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 09:14 AM

I had a seeping rear diff. THe dealer just removed the cover, re-sealed with a some red goop (little unhappy about that, b/c now it looks like its been repaired), and filled it up. All covered under warranty.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 09:55 AM

Mine is at the dealer for the leaking diff and ticking TSB right now. I'll let you know how I make out!

Born on date 5/04
2004 SE Crew Cab
Off-Road w/E-locker
56,650 miles - Out of warranty and scared to death!
#6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 10:31 AM

I took mine into the dealer for a seeping rear diff. and they said the bolts were just loose. They said they tightened them and that the fluid level was fine. I took their word for it and 2 weeks later it was moist/seeping around the bolts again. I got under the truck to really inspect things and it looks like the dealer did not even touch a bolt!

I drained the old nasty fluid and removed the bolts where seepage was occuring. I added some high temp. thread sealer to the bolts, tightened them, then filled with synthetic. It has been about a month and no more seepage. My truck was at the dealer for a day and obviously nothing was done. I had to fix it myself which took all of 20 minutes.

You might want to try this yourself. It was very simple.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 10:58 AM

I also noticed the problem, i took mine back to the dealership right away
they said they resealed it with some more silicone. but i am still noticing it seaping around the bolts. i wish they would give me a new finned cover as a replacement.

2004 nissan titan king cab, white
4x4 offroad, LE
big toe package
utility bed, with tool box
windows 20%
vent visors
huskeyliners
xm-radio
prerunner lift
remote start
trailer brakes for the big loades
valent cool air intake
throttle body spacer
70 Series Flowmaster Duels
305/70r/17 mud dogs
#8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. I need to take it in for some other warranty work anyway so I'll mention it to the dealer. Otherwise I would probably take care of it myself since it doesn't look like I should expect a new cover.

At least I might get new fluid in there if they attempt to fix it. I just have to make sure they put in the right stuff.

Added: OEM step rails & splash guards, leaf spring helpers, Line-X, TruXedo LoPro tonneau, Wade In-channel window visors
#9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 06:18 PM

I just replaced the differential oil with some good expensive Swepco 201 gear oil. It is $50 / gal. It suppose to decrese the operating temperature from 8-15%

By the way, next time you drive your truck for more than 30 minutes touch the differential cover and let me know what the operating temperature is. I feel that my diff. is pretty hot to the touch. Some one told me that it suppose to be hot, but how hot is too hot?
#10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanized
I had a seeping rear diff. THe dealer just removed the cover, re-sealed with a some red goop (little unhappy about that, b/c now it looks like its been repaired), and filled it up. All covered under warranty.
It looks like this is exactly what they did with mine. I have the red goop too, but at least I know they attempted to fix it. I'll keep an eye on it.

I was surprised and disappointed that they refilled mine with 80w90 oil instead of the new recommended synthetic 75w140, but I'm assuming they have to add what Nissan tells them to add. I guess the new specification hasn't made it's way to the service departments yet? I didn't complain about it when I picked up the truck so that the service manager wouldn't remember me as a pain in his arse. I'll change it out in the spring before I start towing the boat again. Or maybe by then Nissan will have stepped up to the plate and offered new covers/fluid changes, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jump to top