Nissan Titan Forum banner

Why did the tire come off my truck...?

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  firetruck41 
#1 ·
Okay so...I'm driving down the highway and I suddenly hear a rumbling noise coming from the front left wheel and I'm not 100% sure but I'm assuming it was a bearing. Anyway, about 30 seconds later a loud bang and I'm rolling down I-95 with 3 wheels. I pulled over and then the wheel completely came off and the front driver side of the truck is sitting on the hub. I get the wheel out of the road, tire still in tact, inside of the rim a little scratched up but I walk down the road and find all the lug nuts still attached to the studs, which sheared off the hub? Now luckily we did roll it and have a tragedy but I really wanna know how this happened because now I have this $2,700 bill coming from the shop. Any ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
wow thats crazy, glad your alright! i have no idea how that would happen.. thats unfortunate friend for the bill

#6 ·
all the lug nuts still attached to the studs
I've seen this once or twice back when I turned a wrench... Some yahoo who can't run an impact wrench ran them up as tight as they'd go. Overtorqued, stretched the studs, studs failed. Go back to the tire shop and have them look REALLY HARD at the other three wheels.

#7 ·
I had this happen while doing 75 on the hyw with a Isuzu truck I had, Lugs were broken. You are talking about maybe 1k worth of parts so im not sure why its a $2700 bill ? Glad you are ok !

#9 ·
It kinda does but I'm having trouble figuring out what he means.

Pictures would make it much easier.

#10 ·
He said the studs were sheared off at the hub. In which case, it has to be over-tightened lug nuts.

Who is was the last person to torque the lug nuts? See what the other 3 wheels are torqued to. I bet someone used a gun and cranked those suckers...

Exactly why I never let a shop do mine (but I have watched Discount use an air gun to get them on and then a torque wrench for the final part)

#11 ·
Lose lug nuts will also sheer the stud obsessionally because of the force the wheel puts on them. Usually what happens is the hub centric wheel doesn't get centered on the hub correctly and then the wheel is torqued down at an angle.

I personally use my 3/8" air gun, usually puts them around 120 ft lbs. Most cars call for 80-100 but you can't hurt them at 120.

#12 ·
yep over tightened lugs. Been there done that. Goodyear store towed my Toyota 1 day after they did a rotate and balance. I got a flat, went to change the tire and broke off every stud. Called Goodyear store, they sent a wrecker and took me and the truck back to the store. other 3 tires, lugs tightened to 170ft-lbs. The replaced all my studs and fixed my flat for free. Nice guys

#13 ·
I was the last one to put the tires back on, but I just put them on using a normal tire iron so I can't imagine me over tightening them that much to cause all of this

#16 ·
Yeah I did... But the plasti dip was fine if that means anything. I was actually surprised because there wasn't even a scratch to the plasti dip

#18 ·
I wouldn't spray the lug seats with plasti dip to begin with but once you torque the lugs down they will tear the spray off anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.