Nissan Titan Forum banner

Brake Recall Info

222K views 515 replies 284 participants last post by  phlydude 
#1 ·
For your enjoyment,

Attachments

#3 ·
Nissan is extending the warranty on these vehicles for “brake judder” to 36 months/unlimited mileage from the original in service date.

This is great news. Even though I have not had any brake judder at all after 12,000+ miles, I am expecting it will show up eventually - right after the original warranty runs out if my luck holds true. In 36 months I will have pretty close to 100,000 miles on the Titan.

#511 ·
I reported my brake jutter well with in the warranty and took it in. They said they did not find anything wrong. it happens mainly when in 4 wheel drive going downhill and making a turn. Now after 95k miles, I still have the jutter and nearly plowed through a red light. Nissan now says I am definitely out of warranty now. I personally think the mechanic knew they were faulty, but was too lazy to fix it. Also I have had 2 4 wheel drive casing to pop out. I was only 2 months out of warranty and 10k over the mileage when the first one happened. The dealership nor Nissan would admit these were faulty. I noticed many many owners have had this same problem with the 2008 models. This is a $2,500 fix, that I can't continue to have to repair. I will probably go Ford from now on.

#4 ·
Oh boy!!!! Just when my brakes are starting have a very slight judder in them for the second time in as many months. You can bet Im going to keep calling my dealer to see when they have the new stuff in and get my truck in quickly as soon as the new brakes come in. Thanks for the post SLURPPIE now if the dealer says no we are really big fat idiots and we dont know anything about that. I can cram that letter in their face and say " How is it that I can get this info better and faster than you?" Ill have a little more tact than that but it will be something to that affect. Thanks again.

#5 ·
Outstanding news! Thanks for posting that Slurppie!!!
Regardless of when the new parts hit the production line I'm placing my order come the first week of April when my dealer has his allocation days.
:bouncy: :clap: :bouncy:

#7 ·
I just spoke with my dealer. They are very aware of what is going on and I asked to be put on the list. I was first!!! Anyway, my dealer already has several of the new rotors in stock but that is it. They will not perform any portion of THIS NEW TSB until all of the parts are available. In other words, if I were to go in today looking for the fix, they will not just put on the new rotors without the other related parts. They will simply perform the TSB which already exists for the problem. Either way, I'm just glad that Nissan is finally handling the problem.

#8 ·
Looks like they tried to change the brakes last summer:
For vehicles built before June 30, 2004, the correct repair is set out in Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) NTB04-066b. For vehicles built after that date consult the appropriate Nissan Service Manual.
I wonder what they did back then...

#12 ·
Very good news. Although I have only had my brakes done once, my dealer told me when I left that he fully expected to see me agian in a few months with more judder. I will be getting on mydealer's "fix" list immediately even though the problem has not yet recurred.

I am actually somewhat pleased with the responsiveness Nissan is displaying on these brakes. It takes a tremendous amount of time to field complaints, communicate with dealers across the country, engineer a fix, and plan and implement a rollout procedure with all new parts. I know it has been very frustrating and inconvenient for many Titan owners to have the tsb done multiple times, but to reingineer a braking system in a matter of months isn't too bad.

#13 ·
r_mojo1 said:
I don't have any problems with my brakes but I would like to replace all the parts included on the new TSB. Can I just tell the dealer that my truck is vibrating and that I want the new brakes? can they say no? I was reading the bulleting posted earlier and it says that the vibration needs to be verified by a technician.
In my experience, it depends on the dealer. Some have a tech drive it around and verify, some just tell Nissan they checked without really doing it. I have no proof of this, but my window up malfunctions were so hit and miss that I'd be surprised that the tech really had trouble with them. But on the work order it said, "Verified window switch has intermittent power." I think they just wanted to do the work and have Nissan pay them.

#14 ·
Just hit print, and faxed over to my service mgr. He still can't figure out how I know more about these issues than him. I really believe it's the luck of the draw on that one when you find a good service mgr. that stay's up on issues and address's them, stick with them and make nice. Mine-- I'll have to wait and see, 660 miles and going on day three at the dealership, will post issues later - dif thread. Only gave me an Altima with 40 mile's on it, was hope'n for a Maxima.

#15 ·
Only 660 miles???

A2titan said:
Just hit print, and faxed over to my service mgr. He still can't figure out how I know more about these issues than him. I really believe it's the luck of the draw on that one when you find a good service mgr. that stay's up on issues and address's them, stick with them and make nice. Mine-- I'll have to wait and see, 660 miles and going on day three at the dealership, will post issues later - dif thread. Only gave me an Altima with 40 mile's on it, was hope'n for a Maxima.
So does your Titan with 660 miles have the shudder/judder?????
Peace-Tom :cheers: Bass Ale :cheers:

#17 ·
I just had mine in today, the replaced the pads and resurfaced the rotors. My service manager said that there will be a recall but she was not sure when. Now if they would only carry more parts so everytime I take it in for something I would not have to turn around and take it back when the parts arrive.

#18 ·
what is brake "judder" ?

what is brake "judder" ?
how do i know if my Titan'as got that?

#19 ·
660 miles yep. Been really trying to baby it but got caught in some bad stop and go on the eway taking my daughter back to school after spring break. Then I got that feeling. Know this due to being a Dodge Caravan owner which is also under braked. Wound up putting PowerStop cross drilled and a lot better pads and shims on it - huge difference. It just gets me on these heaver vehicles is how common they are under braked. Guess thats what keeps after market folks who really know their business go'n. I also ride around in a 65,000 lb. ladder truck every third day that has front disks, now those are real rotors.

#20 ·
That's great news for everyone with the brake judder problem. Looks like Nissan is going to finally take care of it.
Now I feel a little left out, I have over 20k on my truck and the brakes are great. I hope I get the "Judder" at 35 months. That should be about the time I need new pads anyway. :teethmast

#21 ·
I noticed the first letter said 2004 and 2005, but the subsequent notices only say 2005 Armada and Titans...Just thought I'd point that out, being as I own a 2004 that's just starting to feel a little funny on stops with just over 3K on the odo.

#22 ·
Thanks Slurppie...my dealer will be seeing that claims bulletin very soon. I'd like to get my brakes fixed before July when we head to Alaska. I'd hate to have problems along the road somewhere.

I was tempted by the Stillens brake setup but I think I'll try out the new fix before I do anything. Money is an issue right now and my wife has forbidden me to spend any more money on the truck.

#23 ·
wrenrj1 said:
I noticed the first letter said 2004 and 2005, but the subsequent notices only say 2005 Armada and Titans...Just thought I'd point that out, being as I own a 2004 that's just starting to feel a little funny on stops with just over 3K on the odo.
See page two of the letter, first paragraph. The 2005 notices are for the dealers to include with the warranty paperwork when they sell new 2005 Titan's and Armada's. Probably not too many new 2004 Titan's left on dealer's lots.

#25 · (Edited)
Thanks for the update Slurppie, I wonder how long it'll take Nissan to provide all dealers with parts for our trucks. As it stands now, thousands of trucks are going to be needing this done. Let's hope for the best; may be by the end of summer.

Attachments

#26 ·
Last week my Nissan Dealer refused to service my "brake judder" problem until the end of May when they had all of the parts (They claimed this was mandated by Nissan North America).

Thanks to Slurppie posting the "Claims Bulletin" for our use, I was able to drop off my truck this morning to get the "Temporary Fix" so I can actually drive my truck until May.

Once again TitanTalk has proven itself as a great Forum/Site.

Thanks again Slurppie...

#27 ·
Great news....although I was hoping for a re-design on the calipers, too. But if the new rotors, pads and shims take care of it, no problem. Mine needs to go in for it's 2nd judder fix now at 6800 miles. I'm dropping by the dealer today to show him the bulletin and get on the list.

Thanks for the good find, Slurrpie!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.