Nissan Titan Forum banner

Blown Differential - New Cover cover up

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  VShortt 
#1 ·
After blowing up my original differential towing my 5000 lb trailer I am somewhat concerned to see that the 05 Titans have a new differential cover with fins to help cooling. Many Titan differentials appear to have paint blistering off the differential pumpkin (my new one included - I repainted it ). I was told that my diff malfunction was possibly due to the wiring harness resting on the pumpkin and burning up the plastic insulation and shorting the wires which engaged the electronic lockup at 70 MPH. The new diff was installed with extra sheiding around the wiring and then the wiring harness was tie wrapped to keep it up off the pumpkin. If you tow make sure your harness isn't rubbing!
I have since also been told to use synthetic gear lubricant 75-90 or 75-140 if towing anything.
In any case I feel that the 05 type finned differential cover is something we all should have to keep down diff temperatures on 2004 Titans. If your 04 Titan's Differential cover is blistered and has paint missing Complain - PLEASE... Maybe Nissan will do the right thing and replace 04 covers with the new 05 cover type with fins.

#2 ·
#3 ·
doctor steve said:
After blowing up my original differential towing my 5000 lb trailer I am somewhat concerned to see that the 05 Titans have a new differential cover with fins to help cooling. Many Titan differentials appear to have paint blistering off the differential pumpkin (my new one included - I repainted it ). I was told that my diff malfunction was possibly due to the wiring harness resting on the pumpkin and burning up the plastic insulation and shorting the wires which engaged the electronic lockup at 70 MPH. The new diff was installed with extra sheiding around the wiring and then the wiring harness was tie wrapped to keep it up off the pumpkin. If you tow make sure your harness isn't rubbing!
I have since also been told to use synthetic gear lubricant 75-90 or 75-140 if towing anything.
In any case I feel that the 05 type finned differential cover is something we all should have to keep down diff temperatures on 2004 Titans. If your 04 Titan's Differential cover is blistered and has paint missing Complain - PLEASE... Maybe Nissan will do the right thing and replace 04 covers with the new 05 cover type with fins.
Well I tried and my dealer would not change it for me, I ended up ordering the cover and bolts myself. They did match a $85 price from Performance Nissan after quoting me something like $118. I guess I could have pushed it more but I did not think they were going to help me.

Does anybody know if Nissan is calling for the front diff to use 75-140 on 2004 Titans?

#4 ·
Picked up and drove my new 2005 titan to work in northern BC,driving no faster than 115km/hour about 65-70 miles hour. Pulled over and could smell burnt gear oil. Looked at rear diff and it was so hot I was not able to hold my hand on the cooling fins.Checked fluid level and it was good.Hope this is not going to haunt me in the future.

#6 ·
canuk said:
Picked up and drove my new 2005 titan to work in northern BC,driving no faster than 115km/hour about 65-70 miles hour. Pulled over and could smell burnt gear oil. Looked at rear diff and it was so hot I was not able to hold my hand on the cooling fins.Checked fluid level and it was good.Hope this is not going to haunt me in the future.
Hopefully it is just breaking in. I would suggest changing oil after 500 to 1000 miles. Maybe it will run cooler after that.

#7 · (Edited)
How much mung are you guys getting off of your magnetic drain plug? I have the flat black (unfinned) cover on my '04 and have had Mobil-1 75-90 in for about 10k miles (14k miles total, changed out factory gear lube at ~3800 miles).

I just dumped the M1 this weekend and it had about 1/8" of solid mung across the entire magnet after lightly wiping the boogery mung off the top. I think that was more mung than when I dropped the factory gear oil at 3800 miles.
Hope it isn't going down hill. My cover has been blistered since I brought it home.

btw, I don't tow but regularly haul about 1500 lbs. on the weekends.

#8 ·
I changed the cover on my 04 to the aluminum 05 this afternoon. I changed the oil in it last week and was surprized on how nasty it looked. The new cover went on easy but I think there was a part missing. The original cover has a bracket welded to it that a hydraulic line for the ABLS/VDC bolts to and there was no way to attach it to the new cover. I'm going to fabricate a temporary one at work in the morning but I need to stop by Nissan to see whats up with that. I don't do a lot of towing but if I upgrade my boat my tow will go from 3500 to 6000 so I want to be prepared. I also did refill the thing with 75w 140 from 75w 90, it actually sounds a lot better.

That brings up a question, why is mobil 1 75W-90 sell for 6.99 QT and the Mobil1 75W-140 go for 16.99 QT?

#9 ·
fklentz said:
I changed the cover on my 04 to the aluminum 05 this afternoon. I changed the oil in it last week and was surprized on how nasty it looked. The new cover went on easy but I think there was a part missing. The original cover has a bracket welded to it that a hydraulic line for the ABLS/VDC bolts to and there was no way to attach it to the new cover. I'm going to fabricate a temporary one at work in the morning but I need to stop by Nissan to see whats up with that. I don't do a lot of towing but if I upgrade my boat my tow will go from 3500 to 6000 so I want to be prepared. I also did refill the thing with 75w 140 from 75w 90, it actually sounds a lot better.

That brings up a question, why is mobil 1 75W-90 sell for 6.99 QT and the Mobil1 75W-140 go for 16.99 QT?
Hmmmm...ask that guy! --> :wtfdunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.