Nissan Titan Forum banner

Titan without the tail gate?

3K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  rcflier_97 
#1 ·
Has anyone removed their tail gate?
I am planning on removing my tail gate, I went on a short road trip last weekend and I put the tail gate down for the first time and I like the way it felt. Seem to have a lot less wind resistance, better fuel economy, seemed to turn better with less effort and when I let off the accelerator I could coast further without slowing down.

Has anyone removed theirs and how does the truck react: Handling, fuel economy, bumpiness or hopping due to the light rear-end or faster due to weight loss?

Thanks,

#3 · (Edited)
#5 ·
another person pickin on the ********.

but yeah I dont think it will help you I think it is like a placebo so many people believe that it works so then others begin to do it just like a placebo in one of those medicine trials they say they are the real meds but they are just sugar pills

#6 ·
Did it seem to make your exhaust sound throatier also???

#8 ·
DCtitan said:
another person pickin on the ********.

but yeah I dont think it will help you I think it is like a placebo so many people believe that it works so then others begin to do it just like a placebo in one of those medicine trials they say they are the real meds but they are just sugar pills

Not pickin on ********, I'm just a ol hillbilly from Alabama, I still have a moonshine still!

#9 ·
Got a spare????

TYTAIN said:
I still have a moonshine still!
Got a spare one?????? That will fit in my KC bed???? and spare parts??? huh?
:huh: lol :bump: :ftard:
Peace-Tom:cheers:Moonshine:cheers:

#10 ·
TYTAIN said:
You might be a ******* if........

if your username is squid???

#11 ·
Popular Mechanics in their latest issue debunked this myth. You actually get slightly worse gas mileage without the tailgate or with the tailgate down. The tailgate also supports the rigidity of the box (don't ask me how, I'm just repeating the article).

The article states that the best thing you can do is either add a tonneau cover, or
a shell which will add to the aerodynamics of the truck for slightly better mileage, considering the added weight of these additions.

#12 ·
TYTAIN said:
Not pickin on ********, I'm just a ol hillbilly from Alabama, I still have a moonshine still!
I have a buddy that works for ATF over your way. Tell me where you are and he might want to come visit you.

FOR a drink of course, not to bust you :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:
:jester: :jester:
JK

LATER
ICE

#13 ·
Thundertank said:
Has anyone removed their tail gate?
I am planning on removing my tail gate, I went on a short road trip last weekend and I put the tail gate down for the first time and I like the way it felt. Seem to have a lot less wind resistance, better fuel economy, seemed to turn better with less effort and when I let off the accelerator I could coast further without slowing down.

Has anyone removed theirs and how does the truck react: Handling, fuel economy, bumpiness or hopping due to the light rear-end or faster due to weight loss?

Thanks,
The operative word here is "SEEMED". You won't coast further, turn better, or get better mileage with the tailgate down or off. Tests have been done to disprove that myth. Now if for some reason you prefer the looks w/o the tailgate....that's another story.

#14 ·
I've read the reports that leaving the tailgate on provided better aerodynamics and also better fuel mileage as a result. The Craftsman Truck Racing series seems to bear this out. I don't know if it is because of rules or because of aerodynamics. but they all have tailgates and I think they use bed covers as well.
I like the finished appearance that a bed cover and tailgate provide. I'll keep mine on for all these reasons.

#15 ·
In order of WORST to best coefficiant of drag (i.e. aerodynamics):

1. No tailgate.
2. Tailgate down.
3. Tailgate up.
4. Flat flexible bed cover.
5. Flat rigid bed cover.
5. Topper no higher than cab, with angled back. (about a tie with bed cover)
6. Triangular "topper" that goes from cab top to top of tailgate. (though not very attractive)

The shorter the bed, the more severe the effect of an open tailgate. This is from my senior design project in college including wind tunnel testing.

#16 ·
Mike H - so your saying that a topper that is above the cab provides a lower coefficiant of drag?

#17 ·
rcflier_97 said:
Mike H - so your saying that a topper that is above the cab provides a lower coefficiant of drag?
Absolutely not. NO HIGHER than the cab. Flush with the cab roof. Higher hurts.

And as far as a topper goes, if the back isn't sloped, it hurts.

#18 ·
MikeH,
Doesn't the tailgate provide a similar function as did the "Camm Back" in race cars like the Daytona Cobra, etc? I'm not at all sure about the spelling of "Camm back" but I remember it achieved forward thrust on the vehicle caused by the turbulence pushing against the flat back as it rolled off the roof of the car.

Is that the "gist" of the tailgate function in the aerodynamic world?

#19 ·
Mike - misunderstand after the initial read. When you say sloped - is that sloped up (to privide downforce) or down?

#20 ·
rcflier_97 said:
Mike - misunderstand after the initial read. When you say sloped - is that sloped up (to privide downforce) or down?
OK. Don't laugh at my crude drawing. I did not feel like it was worth drawing it in AutoCAD. Red dashed line is best shape. Blue dashed line is worst shape. Black dashed line is the inside of the bed.

Attachments

#21 ·
Mike H. said:
OK. Don't laugh at my crude drawing. I did not feel like it was worth drawing it in AutoCAD. Red dashed line is best shape. Blue dashed line is worst shape. Black dashed line is the inside of the bed.

Are you sure you drew that? It kinda looks like it's from an Avalanche ad...

On the tailgate, I've read the same thing.

Bursting The Bubble

According to design experts, the truck tailgate if designed to create a cushion of air in the bed that aerodynamic engineers called a "seperated bubble" (the real nerdy ones refer to it as "Locked Vortex Flow.") Jargon aside, this invisible bubble of air actually helps deflect the faster moving wind coming over the cab so it passes over the truck's raised tailgate, keeping drag behind the truck minimized.

"Putting the tailgate in the down position tends to increase turbulence and drag of the open box," explained Jack Williams, of Ford Aero Systems Engineering. "We've seen drag increase as much as .5 to 1 percent. Flow-through, web-like fabric replacement tailgates tend to increase drag even more; we've seen increases as much as 4 to 5 percent." In a nutshell, all of that extra drag translates into worse fuel economy for the vehicle.

#22 ·
think about it, how often do you let off the gas and coast ont he freeway? I only do ths in town when lights turn red and at those speeds non of this is really very important. Tire size and weight would probably have more effect, or how hard you accelerate.

#23 ·
Treebasher said:
Are you sure you drew that? It kinda looks like it's from an Avalanche ad...
Wow, that bad?

#24 ·
Thanks Mike - I'm not going to saw a word about your drawing ability - I can't draw a straight line with a ruler. I can see why the blue line is the worst with the air swirling behind it. Thanks for the visual explianation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.