Nissan Titan Forum banner

Considering a Titan, Ram, or Tundra - Help?

5K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  HMCTITAN 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my husband is considering trading his current F250 Diesel. It just just overkill for him and just want to down size to 2wd and half ton, gas truck. Here are the trucks we are considering and I know this is a Titan forum but we are unfamiliar with a titan only driven one.

We are considering an
08 Titan with 72k miles, 2wd crew cab, long bed
08 Tundra with 106k miles, 2wd, 4 door, reg bed with 5.7 engine
09 Ram 1500, reg cab, 68k miles, 2wd, 4.7
12 Ram 1500, reg cab, 41k miles, 2wd, with 5.7

#2 ·
I know you said its overkill,but, If it doesn't have a bizzlion miles, paid for and not problematic...keep the diesel. Just my 2c.

Reactions: Scottysize
#4 ·
probably gets better MPG than all of them too.

#3 ·
I wouldn't buy the Tundra, too many miles, in laws had a Dodge, wouldn't buy an older one for any reason, maybe a brand new one. 08+ Titans have had most all the kinks worked out

#5 ·
Best gas mileage is actually the ram 4.7 because has flex fuel, tundra and titan are worst says rating is 12 and 16.

Our current diesel has 165k and has been a lot of problems and work. That's why we are trading, no not paid off either.

Ive heard Titans have poor reliability, resale, and rear end issues? Is that true?

#12 ·
Say no more if the diesel has issues. Get a Titan. For what's it worth, I'm on my second Titan and could not be happier. If your $$ number's work out, I would look at a 08 or newer. Good luck.

#6 ·
Well, I'm not a expert like some of the guys on here, who are a great resource. But I can tell you that the items you mentioned are 1/3. Poor reliability? I've owned 3, driven the truck since 2004, and never once considered them "poor reliability". Resale? I've traded 2 in, once for a BMW, and then back to the Titan. I was always given a fair $ amount for my trades.

Rear end? A weak point, but mine have never failed, and let me tell you each and every manufacturer has something, Nissan's is a read end differential that is problematic. Toyota, Dodge, Chevy, look at their forums, they all have at least one similar potential for problems.

Makes you wonder when someday we will get the super truck and it will be perfect. :_)

Anyways, i know this is a Titan site, but I swear by the truck. I see so many 04 Titan's in SWFL (they have the V8 Endurance badge) and they are still kicking. Not only does the truck still look good 10 years later, which is incredible BTW, but I see more of them than the competitors. In 08+ they corrected most of the bigger issues.

Go with the Titan.

Reactions: andergar
#7 ·
10-4... I would go with the Titan over those trucks also. 144k on my 05 and still strong as ever with no squeaks and rattles. Love the truck and by far the best I have ever owned.

#8 ·
out of the list your provided the Titan is the winner but that also means if the price is right.

early Titan's had rear end issues

I have two Titans, both 2005, both 4wd with tow package. One has 130K miles and the other 220K miles. I have no reason to get rid of either right now.

Reactions: Pickle-Smooch
#10 ·
Mileage is not an issue, stick with this forum and we can tell you anything you need to know to prevent most issues from happening or how to fix it the best way and least expensively, but most issues from prior to 08 have been addressed. I have had many trucksand been involved in other forums, this is by far the best community around.

Reactions: Pickle-Smooch
#11 ·
if you go back for the titan, from the back of the titan look at the back of the rear tires for oil on the backside. Almost all titans have rear axle seal leak. Have it fixed before pulling off the lot.

#13 ·
Realistically with 72k right now how many more miles can we get on a titan. Besides you guys being loyal titan owners why should I choose it over the ram or tundra? Are titans made in the US or Japan? I guess we are somewhat old fashioned in that when we think of trucks we just never considered a titan. Usually just have had chevy gmc and had 1 ram.

#25 ·
Based on your list I would for sure take the Titan. Second choice would be the 2012 Ram. Stay away from the 4.7 they have known head issues. And I don't say this as a Titan cheerleader. I've had 2 of them that I've driven about 135k miles and have had no major problems, and none whatsoever out of the drivetrains.

#16 ·
My uncle has a ram (few years old not sure) two wheel drive short bed with 4.7 and hates it. Said it gets about 12 mpg in town my Titan 4x4 gets over 14. If you go dodge get bigger engine. I would also look at Chevy I've had a lot of them average 15 to 18 mpg, just bought a 2014 for wife, but kept the Titan I drive

#18 ·
I have owned the following 06 f150, 2012 xterra, 2010 tundra, 2012 silverado and a 2013 ram 2500 diesel and now a 14 titan. I've used and abused the titan more than any other truck and already have 15,000 miles on it since January. I'll put it this way after owning everything there is a reason why I went back to a nissan and there is a reason why I'm staying with nissan! Safe and reliable. As far as safety my mom was t boned in an older smaller sentra the guy was going 55 he ran a red. My mother walked away. My wife walked away from rolling a frontier 5 times. We had an altima for almost 300, 000 never saw the inside of a service bay and only reason we got rif of it was for something newer. I would've still had the xterra today if it wasn't for no bed doesn't go well with the job.... seriously though not trying to be like the titan is the most b.a. truck because they all have there good and bads and cool little features like how the cummins tailgate locked with the doors or the roof lights on the xterra I could keep going on and on but I love my titan because I turn the key it starts and runs like day one and I never have a doubt in my mind that it will do anything but that and I know anything I ask of it it will gladly do time and time again. Sorry for rambling but I hope this helps you. Good luck in your search and I hope you get what you like.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
Thank you all for the info, I appreciate it so much. I have another quick question....I read this on another message board, someone said that Titans have the worst MPG whether they are 2WD or 4WD. Is this true? When I look it up it says 12MPG and 16MPG, is that about right? I know that is about what our current diesel is getting on a good day. So just curious. I know there is no GREAT MPG truck, and we are certainly no stranger to bad gas mileage. All of our vehicles have been gas hogs.

#20 · (Edited)
On my 2wd with 2.94 gears and stock tires, I could get between 20-22 mpg on the highway. Around 15 in the city. My 4x4 with 3.36 gears doesn't get anywhere near that. It just depends on what you need the truck for. The 2.94 is plenty capable of pulling trailers well over 7000 lbs, but if you did that alot, you would wear things out, alot quicker. If you tow heavy, you would need the 3.36 big tow.Oh and my 2wd has over 170,000 miles, with no major problems.

#21 · (Edited)
If you buy the Titan, check for the rear axle seal leak (oil sprayed inside rear wheels caused by axle seal leaking due to pressure buildup from clogged vent). Search for "Rear Axle Vent Mod" using search function and read the OP. Give a copy of it to the dealer and make sure they perform the fix before you leave. Also, make sure they change the diff fluid out(75W-140 Full Synthetic, Nissan Spec) with fresh stuff for peace of mind.

Also, check on the exhaust manifolds (listen for ticking noises on test drive... the T's factory exhaust manifolds go bad around 80k miles usually), check the radiator for excess buildup of corrosion on the outside as well as inside by sticking your finger in and feeling the fluid. If its not bright green or has sludge buildup, have them flush/fill it with new.

If all of that checks out ok, you will have a really dependable truck. There are alot of good people here who can help with issues.

The biggest change will be no more repair bills, but look for alot of that money to go into modifications on the new truck. My mod money was depleted within 2 months of owning my T. I had an '09 F150 FX4 with the 5.4, and this drives so much better in alot of ways. I have no regrets with my purchase. I would do it all over again without question.

#23 ·
The Titan is the oldest design out there except for the prehistoric F-250 "Super Duty" so Nissan has pretty much worked out all the bugs by now. However, I'm surprised to hear all this smack talk about the Ram. I don't know how craptastic the early ones were, but a lot of people seem to like the new 8sp versions with the Hemi.

#24 ·
In my area, the Ram has a worse resale value than the Titan.

#26 ·
My husband keeps liking the Tundra based on looks, but the Tundra is silver, he needs white, the ram and titan are white ( he needs white because its a work vehicle and just looks better). What do you guys think about the Titan interior? The one we are looking at is honestly kinda of blah. Its tan, and not much character.

#29 ·
I have used my 06 titan towing 5500 lb trailer from WA state to md through the mountains, also drove it from NC to WA state stock rear diff before axle vent mod, I race it I run it to red line and have no issues, just regular maintenance, about 95k on it now and this truck is as good as the day I bought it, also wcfpusher is a truck pull champion with his truck. Wikdvk has 200k on his and his is a 12.8 quarter mile well built if u ask me, dodges are crap my neighbor has one and he had the trans replaced at 12k miles, multiple sensors and relays, his digital dash just goes out for no reason while driving he lost reverse while backing his boat into his driveway, tundra is a turd ****ty frames and their slower than our trucks. I'm nissan all the way got my wife a rogue and she loves it great car probably took it to NC about 40 times already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.