Nissan Titan Forum banner

Gas sippin Titan

4K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Beast Mode 
#1 · (Edited)
Went to Dallas to pick up a dirt bike and recorded 18-22 mpg in the Cajun Titan yesterday. This was all hwy miles at 70 mph with a CRF 230 in the bed. I had the S&B cai installed with the 87 Uprev tune and the full Cajun exhaust with Borla muffler. The Bdgt is only used for monitoring and a also confirmed the Bdgt reading with the pencil and calculated 19.2 mpg. My personal best is 21.1 mpg but thought I would post this for y'all.

Notice that tranny temp in 90* temps. The long tru cool mod works very well.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice.

Sent On The Fly & From Behind The Wheel!

#3 ·
I believe it. I've gotten almost 20 MPG in my 2004 SE 4WD CC before, though not around here but in the flatlands on the interstate. I've done about 18 best around here, but I don't really pay that much attention and I use the truck a lot more in short trips these days, which is a killer on MPG. How I use it these days I tend to get around 14-15.

#4 ·
With a quick calculation, that's around $200 cheaper in gas over 3000 miles than my truck. It's actually less since I'm comparing my avg to your highway average; but a lot of my driving is highway anyway.
Comparing 14.3 to 19.2 with $3.55/gal
Idk what all these parts (all stainless exhaust) and tuning UpRev for mpg would run the average consumer.. Where would the break even point be (in miles)?
If course I'm leaving out all sorts of variables, and the fact that the truck would sound sweet and have other tunes available to use..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Don't have a needle as my truck is a 2005 SE crew cab with 2.94 gears. I can tell you the tranny/ radiator bypass and external cooler dropped the temp 20*.

City driving I'm at 14 tops with the AirRaid mxp cai and 15-16 with the S&B cai.

#7 ·
That's about where my trans will run on a hot day crusin' at 70 mph....Love it.

#8 ·
What is the tranny mod you speak of? You have piqued my interest big time! Haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
I similar mods as Nightowl but I'm Pro4X...I never got better than 15.5 MPG on the highway...I hate you Nightowl! haha jk bud

Reactions: nightowl
#10 · (Edited)
Transmission cooling mod? Feel like I am missing something please school me :). I have a new 4X4 2014...

I drove all the way from Severna Park, MD to Kerr Dam on 3/4 tank. Did not check mileage and I think I have a 23 gallon tank if I am correct. I certainly expected to burn more fuel than that regardless. I promised myself when I bought it I would never complain about fuel cost...

Thanks,

#11 ·
#12 ·
That's the one Milenkogt posted and has some great detailed pics on the install. It will also save you a coolant contaminated transmission if the plastic radiator ever cracks. This is well worth the effort and cost and a great preventive mod.

#17 ·
How are ya'll getting mileage like that? I have a 2008 KC XE 4x2 and I usually get around 15-16 mpg, 17 tops. And if I'm pulling my camper I get 9.

#19 ·
My 2011 Pro4x with big tow avgs 16.9. Last trip I took I went to the mountains and when I got back home I had avg 17.4 mpg the entire trip.

I believe it's all in how you drive. The faster you go the worse the mpg. Lugging the engine = worse mpg. Flooring the gas = worse mpg. It's all in maintaining a delicate balance.

#20 ·
Exactly. It's how you drive. There's no changing aerodynamics, weight, engine size, and things like that. What you can control is how fast you drive, how much idling you do, the speed you start and stop, etc. It's no accident I have always exceeded the EPA fuel ratings on every car I have ever owned, some by more than 20%. My Miata was rated for 30 MPG highway. I *regularly* got 36MPG and could do almost 40MPG if I really wanted to, without breaking any laws about driving too slow, drafting tractor trailers, or anything else like that.

#23 ·
Keep in mind others MPG have not been affected at all with the MXP. My 2005 just does not like it for some reason. It is a very nice intake and well made.

#24 · (Edited)
Yep I run it and I am still about the same 16.4 on freeway 13 mixed. But that's a Hog! ,,,,if it were not for good tuning I am sure it would be a lot worse.

#26 ·
Man i was excited about 16.6 hwy but with my mxp i get 13.5 consistently on back roads and stop and go and 16.6-17 hwy which is what I got stock but now I have heavy tires and like to punch it a lot... I babies it to get 17 oh and I have uprev which is when it made the jump about .5 - 1 mpgs better

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.