Nissan Titan Forum banner

New Titan Big Three (+1) Factory Upgrades

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  VK56DEHAN 
#1 · (Edited)
Didn't quite know how to title this, since I got the information about what the "Big Three Things To Do On A New Titan" from here. My 2014 Pro-4X was pulling to the left a little. Sure enough, Caster was out .5 degrees on the front drivers side and .7 degrees on the front passengers side.Camber was off .1 degrees on both fronts, and the toe on the front passengers side was out a .24 degrees. (at -.16). Nissan builds the truck without (WTF??) camber/caster alignment bolts. I had that done, drives great now. No more wandering in the lane, following the road crown, or slight pulling when you get on the brakes. My truck was at 15* timing from the factory, I had them advance 2* to 17* now. The information on here concerning factory Air Conditioning being filled low (Only 80% from the factory. Again, WTF Nissan?) was spot on. My truck was at 1.4lbs, the system holds 1.54lbs. So I had that done. The fourth thing I wanted to add, is idle speed. Normally, the truck is supposed to be at 650rpm, +- 50rpm. I wanted mine set to 700rpm idle speed (max factory allowable) to compensate for the low idle conditions and lack of off idle "pep" when I'm at a light with the AC going. Turns out my truck was running 537.5rpm idle speed (according to CONSULT) as the tech had to adjust it up 162.5rpm to get it to 700. So no wonder it seemed to get weighed down with AC and such going at a stoplight. Now, at 700rpm, smooth as silk. Once up to 35-40mph in town, I can just coast for quite ways now, where as before, the truck would not do that for hardly any distance. Stop and go is better now too, as I just let off the brake and the truck will quietly creep forward. The timing advance has been fantastic. The truck just seems to leap to 30mph like nothing. It's quite fun:) I have not had it out on the highway yet, so I'm curious to see how passing and on ramp merging has, if any, changed. Thank you TITANtalk for the recommendations!:big_grin: Very pleased how well they all turned out.

See less See more
#6 ·
From on here the consensus I got was "more power". The Nissan Tech said it seems to him to add more torque at the low end. Just how much, he didn't know. He had done four other trucks in the last few years, and said he noticed during the test drive afterwards to check drivability they all had more power off idle. Unscientific for sure, but I do alot of city driving, in the 30-40mph range, so that's exactly what I'm after just so I can use less throttle for those speeds, be more efficient. Truck is alot "crisper" after having this done, I'll say that.

I have not noticed the WOT restriction that much. I think on the 4x4 it's what, 12-15mph? It seems if I just mash the gas pedal to the floor from a stop, I get wheel spin, followed by the electronic "MOM" shutting the fun down. As soon as the truck gets wheel spin in check, then it rockets forward. Thusly, I don't ever do that because that wastes so much more time than just holding down the the brake with left foot, then lightly covering the throttle with the right. Light turns green, simultaneously lift the left foot off the brake and "squeeze" the throttle with the right. As a progressive "squeeze", I don't have it to the floor till its already nearly 20mph. In this fashion, I get no wheel spin, electronic "Mom" don't rein in the fun, and the T just takes off like nobody's business:big_grin:

I suppose the the way the trucks are built, better hope whatever they are using on the line to bolt the controls arms and such on, it's right. Apparently that day they built mine, the "jig" or whatever they are using was off, so my alignment was poor. Why in the heck Nissan don't have the camber/caster bolts put in new, I have no idea. Just like the AC. Makes no sense, unless of course you got some a-hole that sits in the bowls of Nissan HQ that does nothing but read "digits on paper" that got an idea about how to save a few bucks per truck. Next thing you know, some Power Point presentations later and whatnot, the higher ups approve said "beneficial changes", while the rest of us folks, the actual paying customer, get a less than right product. At least Nissan got their ignition switch right. Now, if I could do something about this thin *** paint on the truck (Looooove the color/finish. It's just to damn thin, chip prone)......That will be another thread once I get all the facts.

#4 ·
Eliminate the WOT restriction and it'll leap a lot harder to 30-40 mph. It'll feel like a whole new truck after that. It's a shame Nissan is filling the AC charge low. The bean counters at Nissan are probably trying to save money on refrigerant. lol! However, it's surprising the alignment was screwed up like that. Maybe they forgot to align it at the factory?

#9 ·
I just saw a thread on here for a guy that is selling a BDGT for $200.

Sent On The Fly & From Behind The Wheel!

#10 ·
Why does yours shut down in burnout? My light flashes but it keeps eatin till I let off or the truck starts to pick up speed. I havent done the burnout mod either

#11 ·
A lot of trucks will do it, mine does. Some get lucky and it will keep burning like yours. That's why the burnout mod was made really... Otherwise we wouldn't need a burnout mod

#12 ·
When I got uprev through seymore4 aka Joe.. I got my maps back within a day at most and I couldn't be happier with my tune. My SLIP light flashes when I burn the tires til I let off the throttle.

#14 ·
I am suspicious that mine also came with low freon from the factory. Because sitting at idle the AC is not so great. Driving around gets it very noticeably colder. Did you get yours filled under warranty? How would Nissan determine it to be a warranty situation? If they put a guage on it and get a pressure reading below "full" but the system is cooling what would they say? Also, mine came far out of alignment as well when it was new. I understand that Nissan is not the only manufacturer skipping out on adjustable cam bolts. It is becoming more common on other makes as well as alot of cars.

#15 ·
My dealer is great to work with. I told them the consensus on the web forum dedicated to these trucks is that they come filled at 80% capacity. So I had them check it. The factory says it holds 1.54lbs. They found it only at 1.4. They did a complete evac and fill, under warranty. They also checked for leaks. Since there was none, then it had to have come that way from the factory. Now, my truck was built in Nov. 2013. It only has 4100 miles on it right now. So since it is pretty new, maybe they were quicker to warranty it, especially since it is still in the 12 month, 12K bumper to bumper warranty from the factory. As far as the AC system properly cooling, but being low, they didn't even bother with trying to ask why I wanted to have it checked and all that or give static. I told them my concerns, and they addressed them. It would have been nice if the truck left the factory with these four "upgrades" on it stock, but I like it enough to have them preformed, even if I had to pay a little. The difference it has made in general enjoyment in driving it around town has been exceptional.

#19 · (Edited)
Ya my camber and toes where way off after just 10-15k miles. The dealer just installed them for free, many of them believe the truck should have came with it. My truck idles at around 550 rpm without blower on, and 600rpm with it on. When it's really cold oustide I have to turn the blower on just to keep the the truck from vibrating really bad at idle...it'll moan and groan if I sit at a light for a while....its annoying. So I had Nissan up the idle to 700 as well. I did not like it at all. I liked how it idled at a light, bit didn't like how the tranny shifted or how much more difficult it was to brake...so I had the set it back to stock and just run the blower when needed. When warm, she is smooth as silk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.