Nissan Titan Forum banner

Seafoam

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  PRJ 
#1 ·
So I changed my sending unit. It worked great for two tanks. On the third fill up I seafoamed the fuel as I have done on all vehicles I own every so often. Seafoam is great stuff. Well the sending unit no longer reads correctly, could the seafoam have killed it? I find that very unlikely but it's weird that it happened right after I did it. I ran 1oz per gallon. It reads 3/4 when full and my low light comes on with about 7 gallons left in the tank. Any thoughts on the seafoam and about where does everyone else's light come on at?

#3 ·
Yeah I kept hearing that was about right but figured I'd throw it in. Just seemed like a lot of fuel left for a low light. I've always had good luck with seafoam. I just don't see how it could have messed up the sender. Unless the Nissan sender really is that bad. Sucks I have to drop the tank yet again for something like that.

#4 ·
Reading 3/4 when full is not normal, and your light should come on with about 3 gallons left.
I don't believe in using anything but a little dry gas in the tank during the winter months.

#8 ·
Comes on at 7 gallons left...

#12 ·
My Titan has the 28 gallon fuel tank and the low fuel warning light comes on with about 6 gallons left.

#13 ·
Yep, same here. It seems like I can drive quite a bit after the low fuel warning come on. If it was only 3 gallons, I'd know the difference. 6-7 gallons sounds about right.

#14 ·
Mine comes on with 7 gallons or so also.

7 gallons wouldn't be right anyway, that's about 1/4 of a tank.
Nissan does not want you running out of fuel and killing your pump.

I doubt the sending unit problem came from the seafoam since it is new. But who knows...you might try and fill up again and see if it works.

#15 · (Edited)
I guess I was mistaken on this one. It's still hard to believe though, considering I just put in 24 gallons the other day as soon as the light came on.....and I did not try to force it in there either. My gauge read about 1/8th of a tank.

#17 ·
How many tanks have you experienced the 3/4 full on a fill up? My truck has done a slow crawl to full from 3/4 a few times after I fill it. I'd wait more than one tank before calling it bad. Fill it a few times.

6-7 gallons left for me when light comes on on my T. Need to consider how our trucks guzzle gas. 2-3 gallons isn't alot of range when you might be getting 13-18mpg. So it is different than a car like a Z.

#18 ·
How many tanks have you experienced the 3/4 full on a fill up? My truck has done a slow crawl to full from 3/4 a few times after I fill it. I'd wait more than one tank before calling it bad. Fill it a few times.
I believe that this is one of the symptoms of a bad sender unit. Mine did this before the recall, but not after.

#22 ·
I'm still not convinced that the Seafoam caused the problem, but I wouldn't use it again either.

#23 ·
Well, My sending unit is the original and approaching 10 years old. When I said it did it a few times, I literally mean like 3-4 times in 10 years. Other than that it zips right up to Full. I'm not too concerned :) . Just wanted to let the OP know it might not be a chronic problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.