Nissan Titan Forum banner

Looking at Titans...

3K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  HRTKD 
#1 ·
former chevy diehard enticed by lower price tag of like year/like mileage used titans. are there any standout years between '06-'10 that do not have the header and rearend problems? Is there a "good" titan to get? Looking for something around $15-20,000. Many thanks!

#2 ·
All years have the manifold issues, all years have axle seal/vent issues with e locker rears being the worst in the long run. The titan hasn't really changed in 10 years hence the cost.

#4 ·
They did beef up the rear axle 2008.5+. Stronger, but there have been a few axle seal issues for those years. Perhaps not as many as other years though.

#5 ·
Many thanks...

Present truck that I'm putting to rest is a '96 Silverado shortbed 4x4 that I bought in '99 with 72,000 miles. Now, fifteen years later, it has 294,000 on it and all I've done is change the oil and drive it like granny! It did need a new tranny about 120,000 miles ago but all in all I can't complain... it's been a good truck that's served its purpose. So tell me how many of you bought a titan used, knowing about these issues and why? Talk me into it, please. I drove a few last weekend and was pretty impressed but don't want to buy something that is sure to cost more $$ down the road. Is there a certain year that the mpg improved? Also was told that changing spark plugs can be an issue too? Like most of you, I work hard for my money and need to get the most out of it!

Thanks again!

johninin.

#6 ·
I don't think that changing the spark plugs has been a big issue. They're good for 100,000 miles but I plan to do mine before that.

In 2007 they introduced VVT which increased the HP/TQ slightly. I don't know if that also bumped the MPG.

#7 ·
I like others think the 07 is the best year to get.

It's the first year for the VVT like HRTKD stated but it's also still the old style axle which can accept a TruTrak upgrade. With that, the axle vent upgrade and making sure it isn't leaking the axle should last a good long time.

For some reason manifold cracking seems to be common for like every brand truck.

#9 ·
The 08's have the same traction control systems as the newer one's.

#10 ·
Changing the spark plugs is not hard at all. A little time consuming versus a typical pushrod engine but I think I did mine in about 2 hours, start to finish, and I went slow, took a break and ate dinner besides.

As for the truck, it's a good truck for the money. Axle seal leaks are common and the exhaust manifold cracking is almost guaranteed. Outside of those 2 issues, power steering & transmission hoses, radiators seem to be other weak spots. The drivetrain is fantastic. Most people with rear end problems had E-lockers, so I would avoid those. I've had 2 of these trucks and they've been good trucks. If you get one with cracked exhaust manifolds, out of warranty, either look for a good pair of used ones or just jump for headers.

MPG never improved, it's been pretty much the same since the truck was released. Not great but I get 17MPG out of my 4WD Crew Cab in the mountains, which I think is pretty good, all things considered.

#11 ·
Okay, now help me take the plunge...

found three I like:

'06/LE/97,600mi/$16,100

'07/SE/106,800mi/$14,500

'09/SE/104,400mi/$17,000

I'd say all three are equally clean and maintained.

Comparing all three on KBB shows the '06 to be the best value probably due to the LE fancy stuff and it's on a local lot whereas the other two are 3 hours away.

What'cha think?

Thanks again!!

johninin.

#14 ·
i just bought my titan this spring. i'm not brand loyal at all. i found that titan seems to have the least major failures. they have a bulletproof engine and tranny and i've yet to see a badly rusted out titan. I find the titan has a few minor problems but nothing is perfect. Comparing different brands it all comes down to what problem do you want to deal with? spark plugs snapping *cough* ford *cough* or a crappy diff.

#17 ·
the 2008+ pro-4x with locking diffs are good. they switched from the crappy 2 spider design which was very prone to failure and beefed up the 08+ to a 4 spider differential. i havent heard of failures to those though im not saying there isnt but they are supposed to be very strong.

pre 08 also had weak shackles and a few members have had them break and send a leaf spring right through the bed of the truck.

the drive shaft was upgraded to a big aluminum one but not sure the year they did that (my 2009 SE has it) - i think the earlier titans were steel?

rads have a tendency to crack - upgrade to an all aluminum stillen, CSF or koyo

the early titan pre 08 i belive have smaller front rotors and have issues with them warping

buy 08+ titan for sure

#18 ·
'07+ has the four spider gear differential. Some of the mid year '06's may also have that.

Mine also has the monster drive shaft. The 4x4 may all have that, regardless of year. The 4x2 Titans have a two piece drive shaft.

The '07 does have smaller rotors than 08 (08+?). But at 70,000 miles I'm still running the original rotors and pads.

My radiator did fail at 60,000 miles. That's the only major failure on my Titan.

#20 ·
I bought one this past March- a 2010 SE king cab 4x4. I needed a beefier truck than my old 97 ford f150 that had the smaller v8- for towing a 5000lb trailer and related gear. I have owned Ford trucks on and off for 40 years and the occaisional Japanese truck scattered in there. I've drove plenty of chevys and Dodges in that time, also.

I needed payload and towing capacity. For the money- this was the best I ran across within $5000.00 of comparable American Trucks. I paid around 20,000.00 for a 4 year old truck with about 37k. I ruled out Ford F-150s in that price range because mileage was usually closer 100k and I did not want to spend the 2k for the plug change that was likely to come due on the 5.4 engines. The 5.0 engines were 2011 and higher and the price was 27 k and up, usually. GM/Chevys I found tended to have an unusual amount of rust and I did not like the power on the ones that were not the 6.0 engine. Again- getting something with same mileage range on them and a 6.0 were putting me close to 30k. The Titan's driveability and power seduced me. Could not find a bad review on it for how it towed. Payload was very good for a 1/2 ton truck. Most of the recalls and other major issues seemed to have happened prior to the 2010 year (or hadn't caught up to it yet...). Gas mileage was the only issue for me---- and I figured i could have gotten another 4mpg non-towing with a Chevy( maybe....) . At the time gas was about 3.50 a gallon . At 14mpg I would use approx 71 gallons per thousand miles- at a cost of 249.99 . with 4mpg more i would use 55 gallons at a cost of 192- so a difference of 58.00 per thousand. So- for the extra 5000 minimum to get a comparable truck (used) with the added cost savings I would start making my money back after I drove 86000 miles. This is not my primary driver- its my toy and camper truck. AND IT TOWS LIKE A DREAM. I pull a hi-lo trailer which is a heavy but collapsible hard sided trailer and I am doing about three miles per gallon better than I was with the older and smaller ford v8. On the highway- non-towing- I can still average around 17mpg. towing I get around 12.5 -13. Guys i know pulling full height travel trailers in the same range- with the FORD ecoboost- are getting about 11 towing. On the highway not towing they say sometimes they can get 20. Good for them. Their vehicle cost them 10k more-at least.

The room in our King cab is terrific. The wife and me love it and the smallish Lab who goes with us has lots of room to travel when I put up the seats in back- In a full crew cab I'm sure she would exercise back there. I like the way the truck looks. I love the way it handles. The plastics are just as cheap etc as our Subaru but Ill live with it for the way it functions-in both cases.

I love the way the new Fords look and I would like one- but I am at an age where that type of money on a truck is a luxury I dont have time to pay off. I live in Southern Wisconsin and this GM/Ford/Dodge country. Nobody was gonna buy this truck- I did. Got a good deal, not perfect, but ok. Run the numbers ---the truck does what it is supposed to do VERY WELL! GAs mileage is not terrific. Run the numbers. Inside is sort of cheap- but very comfortable. Run the numbers.:) I got a terrific value compared to what else I was looking at and this forum will give you heads up on whatever issues you may be looking at. ITS A GREAT DRIVING AND HAULING truck. I am not unhappy- except I like it too much and am driving it when I could be driving something else ( like my 2001 Mercury marquis- gets 26-27 hwy consistently.:))

#22 · (Edited)
2011 SV CC Red Alert Heavy Metal Chrome package 4x2, 32K, 5100's all around, DK Drop shackles in the rear, tints all around legal, Michelin LTX MS2's, R1 slotted rotors, EBC Green Stuff pads, visors, bug deflector, Pioneer 3300 BT, 2 10 kicker subs, kickers in the doors, 2 amps, extra battery to power it all, and I am sure I am missing somethings. 23k, negotiable. So, for an extra few bucks you can have a truck like mine. Just sayin. And damn, what would I buy again, another Titan!!! This is my 2nd, sold my 08 in 11 for this one, and now I want a 14 or 15.

#23 ·
I had an 09 and traded it @ 140,000 miles with only the cruise control not working from a sensor. I am now in a 2012 @ 38,000 miles, though I nearly bought a chevy and dodge but the Titan seemed the best value at the time (plus I absolute love Titans and I'm a Nissan fan.) That being said, the new Dodge Rams with the 8 speed tranny and new interior are on another level IMO, but they will cost quite a bit more.

#24 ·
I had an 07 which I owned for 5 years, only major fixes were axle seals, recall on the gas meter in the tank causing false readings, both fixed under warranty, did have any issues since on those. I also just replaced the clock spring. I just traded it in this past weekend for an 08 Pro-4x. I am very pleased with the nissan brand, we are on our second titan, and second Armada, both only switched just to get more options, we also have an R51 Pathfinder. You won't be disappointed with the Titan, but it just hasn't changed much since it debuted in 2004.

#25 ·
Took the plunge!

I went with the '06 LE. It has a push button differential lock so may be the beefier rear-end. Everyone loves it and it's even growing on me each time I drive it as the initial "did I make the best decision" wears off! LOL Needs a muffler and I think I want to install a 2" lift on the front to level it. Other than that, it seems to be a great truck.

Thanks to all!!

johninin.

#26 ·
Re: Took the plunge!

I went with the '06 LE. It has a push button differential lock so may be the beefier rear-end. Everyone loves it and it's even growing on me each time I drive it as the initial "did I make the best decision" wears off! LOL Needs a muffler and I think I want to install a 2" lift on the front to level it. Other than that, it seems to be a great truck.

Thanks to all!!

johninin.
As soon as I drove off the lot in each Titan I knew I made the right call. I cant work or live without a truck.

#31 ·
I bought my '05 crew cab LE with ~117k miles on it. It had (and still has) a leaky rear seal, which I was aware of, though the level of the fluid doesn't seem to change so it is a slooooow leak. I've had it for ~5k miles. My last vehicles have been two Tahoes and a Durango. I like the Titan for the power and for the space - the crew cab has more rear leg room than the Tahoe or Durango. My fuel consumption can be seen in my sig... it's not pretty, though I do have the big tow package. Just replaced the worn shocks/struts with Bilstein 5100's and also swapped the leaking transmission cooler line and upgraded the clamps to fuel line clamps.

Aside from that I added a double din dvd unit up front and headrest monitors for the rear, a bed slide and canopy.
So far it's been a great truck and I'm happy with my purchase. Knock on wood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.