vdc button - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation vdc button

I have a 2004 Titan "LE" with 4x4 & tow-package. The vehicle also has a VDC button (vehicle dynamic control) button. The manual states the VDC should be on during all normal driving. I was just wondering if this device is adding to my gas consumption ???

I inquired about the device with the Nissan dealership, but their know less about the vehicle than I do (not good)

Does any one owner with said device know if leaving this device off will save alot of gas ?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 09:28 AM

It's been discussed before and I think the concensus was....NO...you will not gain any more MPG by turning it off.
I have it on my truck and the safety factor of leaving it on far out weigh any slight MPG gains.

"It is not through knowledge, but through experience of the world that we are brought into relation with it."
__Albert Schweitzer

2011 Toyota Tacoma, Super white, access cab, TRD off road pkg., TRD performance exhaust. 20+MPG.

Last edited by tnbowhunter; 08-09-2005 at 09:30 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 11:54 AM

I turn it off unless there is inclement weather. It has proved to be an annoyance to me when I am trying to merge with traffic only to find it has killed my throttle input.

Scott
2004 White Titan SE CrewCab 4x4 - (SOLD)
2002 SOM Z28 - For haulin' arse
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 12:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to KTMNealio
If you are a very skilled driver, VDC is a hinderance IMHO. However, it probably benefits over 1/2 the drivers out there..
- Nealio

2005 SE - Smoke CC 4x4
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMNealio
If you are a very skilled driver, VDC is a hinderance IMHO. However, it probably benefits over 1/2 the drivers out there..
- Nealio
Oh, now i'm an unskilled driver.

"It is not through knowledge, but through experience of the world that we are brought into relation with it."
__Albert Schweitzer

2011 Toyota Tacoma, Super white, access cab, TRD off road pkg., TRD performance exhaust. 20+MPG.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:46 PM

VDC or EBFD

Is VDC an option? I thought I got it with the side air bag package but upon further investigation, I found no VDC OFF button and no where on the sticker saying VDC...I DID find Electronic Brake Force Distribution, what is that????

THANKS!!!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:51 PM

My 05LE does not have it and I am happy about that.

Rebar Wrangler

Its a truck with bigger shocks and stuff.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,231 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETSOMZ28
I turn it off unless there is inclement weather. It has proved to be an annoyance to me when I am trying to merge with traffic only to find it has killed my throttle input.
If you want to turn it off and keep it off this device might work for you. Click on products and click on traction control. It basically remember your setting and keep it that way.
http://www.kptechnologies.com/

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBugg
Is VDC an option? I thought I got it with the side air bag package but upon further investigation, I found no VDC OFF button and no where on the sticker saying VDC...I DID find Electronic Brake Force Distribution, what is that????

THANKS!!!
EBFD automatically balances braking force between the front and rear brakes.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 06:40 PM

VDC was part of BT on the '04s. Now it's part of the Air Bag package.
Since my son and I are woefully unskilled drivers, and winters here can be a challenge, I'm delighted we both have it.
As for gas mileage improvement, turning VDC off is a myth. My fill-up today worked out to 16.4 mpg. That's mostly around-town with brief interstate runs. I've never turned VDC off. Maybe if I did, I'd break 16.5. But then there's those limited driving skills to deal with. Some dilema.

Jim in NH
Copper 04 LE CC 4WD BT, Bilstein 5100s, NISMO Exhaust, Banks CAI, Frozen Rotors with Hawk LTS Pads, PIAA 1500 BU Lights, Mag Hytec Diff Cover, CSF 3328 Radiator.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 08:07 PM

Guess I'll have to put myself in the woefully unskilled driver category also since I appreciate having VDC. But I'm trying to improve my braking technique by learning how to apply the brakes only on one side, or even diagonally (front right along with left rear) to help recover when another driver pulls out of a blind driveway in front of me on a snow covered road putting me in a nasty skid.

I just can't seem to master that "skilled driver" ability to be able to use one foot on one brake pedal to allow braking force directed only to the tire or tires that have sufficient traction to help the situation. Maybe if I took my shoe off?

KC LE 4X4 Built 03/04, Sedona, Big Tow, XM Radio, Remote start, Billet grille, Advance bed cover, Chrome tailgate cover, '05 finned diff. cover, Armada air dam

Utah Highway 12
http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/2020/
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 08:16 PM

On a vehicle blessed with lots of torque VDC is a good thing skilled or not.

As Martha would say its a good thing!

Some other manufacturer calls it ESP or electronic stability program.

If you want to hot rod and pull 180s or 360s in the snow or dirt then turn it off else it may be best to leave it on, but then we are all individuals eh!

DeTitan
2005 Titan LE 4X4 Crew RadSilver
Side Air Bag/Curtain Pkg w/VDC!
MOD: Circular rotating blind spot mirror.
DD 12/30/04

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,413 Posts
VDC a hindrance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMNealio
- Nealio
What?

So you're saying you can apply brakes a couple thousand times a second to avoid skidding?

And you can identify which wheels are losing traction and apply less gas/downshift to regain traction faster than the VDC?

Show me an insurance company that believes that a human is better at making those decisions than a computer.

The only way VDC would be a hindrance would be if you are trying to break loose the vehicle for some fun or try to squeal the tires. VDC would be a hindrance.

It will only engage when there's a reason to do so.

Not trying to flame but certainly disagree that a driver performs better without VDC.

HippieWhore™
Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 08:47 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
VDC had saved me and my family last winter. We went to Big Bear for ski. I saw Escalate (sp?), Honda Prelude, Corvette, and other vehicles slided side way. My titan with VDC on and we had no problem driving in slippery road. The light will flash on your dash when it's working.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 10:08 PM

Many of you guys are right and wrong about VDC at the same time.

First off, VDC has no influence on gas mileage.

VDC can help save your rear if you get out of shape, and can help you recover from a skid better then you could without. Unless your truck has four brake pedals and you can work them all at the same time, it can exhibit more control over the trucks attitude then even the best driver could.

That said, to a good driver VDC is a hinderance to maximum performance. It interferes too often and earlier then needed for a good driver. While it will help even a good driver avoid a spin, they certainly won't set any record lap times with it on. But it can also be argued that a good driver can avoid situations where they need VDC to save them. I think that the greatest benefit on our trucks is when you are pulling a trailer and the trailer tries to push the truck. Maybe that's why it was part of the big tow package.

I have driven a few cars with basicly the same system as ours on an autocross track. A BMW 530i, Mercedes C320, Caddy CTS and STS. All had the Bosch system, but were tuned diffferently. The BMW was in full nanny mode, and the car was slow and no fun. The Mercedes was better, but the Caddy systems were set up to allow a lot more slip. I also went for a fun run with a professional driver in the CTS. He was showing off, and put the car into a tank slapper after a slalom. I tought we were going to spin, as the car was past the point where he should have been able to steer out of the slide. You could feel the system go to work and he caught it. He admitted that the system saved him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top