Nissan Titan Forum banner

Popping Noise Drive Front Side

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Mosisek11 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for feedback in narrowing down a popping noise on the front driver side wheel area.

Coming to a slow stop and take off there is a popping sound. Its faint sound but can feel it as well in the floor board. Yesterday I raised the truck up and slowly let down with the jack and the sound is noticeably loud and you can actually see the spindle and upper control arm soundly pop and move, as if there is something hanging. I disconnected the lower shock mount and seems to no longer pop, reconnect and the sound is back. Removing the shock removes pressure from the lower control arm.

I'm thinking could be one of the:
- Lower ball joint
- Heim bushing(s) on the SAWs coilovers
- Heim bushing(s) on the PRG upper control arms

2008 4x4
59k Miles on the Truck
ProCom Lift
PRG UCA
Stock LCA
SAW Bracket Lift, Extended Coilovers

See less See more
#2 ·
spray everything with some silicone - see if it changes the sound - sticking vs broken or worn. Look at the lower control arm bushings - and check the attaching bolts from the lower control arm to the frame - sometimes these get loose and make that noise.

#3 ·
Been under the truck this morning.

Disconnected the SAW from the LCA and raised up/down with no sound.
Disconnected the PRG UCA from spindle and its solid as a rock.
LCA bushing, those were replaced with PRG bushing over a year ago.

Connected the SAW backup and a second jack, and its strongly looks like the SAW shaft is catching during compression. Passenger side SAW not doing this.

So, looks like its the SAW... The SAWs are about 4yrs old in Northern weather. And, yes, I keep up the silicone spray.

#8 ·
Any luck on fixing the popping noise? I’m having the same issue on my 2011 pro4x but hearing the pop from the front passenger side but feeling movement underneath my floor panel on the drivers side. It mainly happens when I’m braking, coasting at low speeds, and also when I first initially hit the gas after coming to a stop I hear a pop as well. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.