Nissan Titan Forum banner

tail gate gap

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike Up 
#1 ·
i just installed a pace edwards electric roll up bed cover and i wonder if any one knows of a good way to seal the tailgate? mine has a pretty good gap between it and the quater panels, it is the same on both sides. thanks in advance.

#4 ·
yes thank you very much. i just hope it is thick enough to cover the gap. i got this cover that doesn't leak, but the tailgate leaks when it rains.

#5 · (Edited)
helomech said:
i just installed a pace edwards electric roll up bed cover and i wonder if any one knows of a good way to seal the tailgate? mine has a pretty good gap between it and the quater panels, it is the same on both sides. thanks in advance.
Good luck in keeping the rain out. I would had given you my old POS Pace Edwards. Hek, I can't even sell it. You won't keep the water out. It's not meant to according to Pace Edwards and the several dealers I've spoke with. I also had the gap and there's really no way other than pulling the whole assembly forward a bit. My idiotic dealer did just that, and my tailgate wouldn't close right and actually broke the plastic handle surround lose from the tape by the repeated, damaging slamming. Luckily Nissan dealer fixed without charge when I had them remove the Pace Edwards and wire shrink all exposed wiring from cover dealer tapping into it for the cover's light.

Water leaks:

Water leaks around lock, water leaks around handle, water leaks around drain tube (on the outside because they're not sealed inside the box), water leaks around track channel because seal rolls under (use a lot of vaseline every other day to keep this from happening). I was going to take the dealer to court over misadvertising, but I found I would lose even more money from lost work hours.

If you want water tight, get a cap or a fiberglass lid.

If you have standard bed, the bed rail caps also leak water under them allowing water to channel into the corners of the bed. I fixed this after siliconing all the bed rail caps on the inner side, starting from the corner and working back about 9".

Since I never could get this trucks bed watertight from it's design and from a tonneau cover, the option was a cap.

Since the truck wasn't designed for a cap, the payload is reduced another 190lbs with one one.

Since it's only a 1/2 ton truck, it doesn't have payload to use. With a cap, my payload would had been around 1020lbs . Trucks base payload 1453#. Dropped to 1350# after Off Road Package and drop in liner. 1350# payload stick on door. Added 40# tonneau cover, 75# side steps, and 40# hitch receiver. New payload 1195#. Add ARE Z series Cap at 190# and payload is 1005#. With 700# of people in my 2004 CC XE 4X4, I have only 305# left for trailer tongue weight and gear. Learned, next time get a 3/4 ton truck or a SUV that's water tight with all options figured into payload. New 2005 Pathfinder has ~1250# of payload. Heaviest fully featured Pathy has 1185#.

I went through the water tightness issue and wanted to share my frustrating experience with you. Avoid it and get a cap or lid.

Reread you post, if you can keep the water out, I'm happy you were able to accomplish this. I've talked to several who have the covers, and none are water tight.

Have a good one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.