Nissan Titan Forum banner

High Mileage Titans, How's your MPG & Reliability?

20K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  Taylorr 
#1 ·
Just as the title says, I'm curious about what kind of long term maintenance forum members have had to do to their titans. Also, what kind of average mpg?

I have a 06 KC 4x4 BT, 128k mi, with off-road package. Runs great. Not the most fuel efficient model, I do realize.. But I absolutely love it, but like many complain about, the mpg is dismal. It appears 12 city is normal, but I've been seeing 10mpg. And I'm bone stock (wheels/tires, exhaust, etc) besides an Airaid intake. I recently took a laid back trip over 200 miles, never going over 65, with cruise, average 14.1 mpg.. Sound normal? Any recommendations for what to check? In the last 2 months I've changed the plugs, new belts, PCV valves, and full drivetrain fluid change with synthetic. Any help appreciated!:smile:

#2 ·
I only had problems with both front wheel bearings going bad, front u joints. Other than that not too much went wrong. I just traded my 06 kc. I would get close to 20mpg on the highway on trips. I was stock except for the dual exhaust. I don't know that I ever got as bad as 12. Plugs maybe? I'm sure there is someone here that can answer better than me, but that's what my experience was.

#3 ·
At some point, any used vehicle will require maintenance.

I have an '04 CC SE with 155K.
Two axle seal leaks, new cv's and a radiator hose.

11 to 12 mpg city
17.5 to 18 highway at 70 to 72 mph. 16.5 at 75 mph.

In two months, new tires!

#4 ·
OP my truck's more like yours, 08 KC Pro4x with BT with 110k. I get roughly 12-13 city, 14-15 highway currently.

I went from stock to AirAid MXP intake and my mileage dropped 1.5-2 mpgs overnight. I haven't put a stock intake back on to see if it makes a difference, but I haven't climbed back.

If you see 18+ with a 4x4 then you got a gem and don't get rid of it.

Reactions: Pickle-Smooch
#5 ·
Just as the title says, I'm curious about what kind of long term maintenance forum members have had to do to their titans. Also, what kind of average mpg?

I have a 06 KC 4x4 BT, 128k mi, with off-road package. Runs great. Not the most fuel efficient model, I do realize.. But I absolutely love it, but like many complain about, the mpg is dismal. It appears 12 city is normal, but I've been seeing 10mpg. And I'm bone stock (wheels/tires, exhaust, etc) besides an Airaid intake. I recently took a laid back trip over 200 miles, never going over 65, with cruise, average 14.1 mpg.. Sound normal? Any recommendations for what to check? In the last 2 months I've changed the plugs, new belts, PCV valves, and full drivetrain fluid change with synthetic. Any help appreciated!
do you have a cracked header? seems to be the source of bad fuel mileage on these things

#6 · (Edited)
05 2wd with 164k on it. I get 16-18 with a personal best Hwy 21.1 mpg. I towed my popup camper (3000lbs) to Iowa 814miles and achieved 14.5 mpg loaded down. Truck has S&B cai, complete Cajun exhaust and Uprev tuned. Its been a great truck with only common issues like the manifold cracks, axle seals. My Alert red paint is the issue now with the clear pealing.

#7 ·
Interesting about the intake lowering mpg, I thought they tend to improve it. My truck came with the intake, otherwise I would try swapping it out for stock.

And I've wondered if I have a cracked manifold too, but I hear zero ticking on cold startup and no weird symptoms. The previous owner had records showing the manifolds were replaced 40k miles ago. O2 sensors maybe?

Nightowl, I wonder how much your awesome mpg is attributed to a well tuned titan, or lack of parasitic loss due to the 4x4 constant drive transfer case. I just can't give up 4x4, the PNW can be very unforgiving..

Here's my truck btw, to show how stock it is..

Attachments

#8 ·
In the mountains, in the summer, at 60/65 MPH or so I will get at or almost 18 almost all highway - 04 CC 4WD 130k miles. Running around town, I usually end up with about 14 regardless of time of year. In the winter I get about 16 MPG or so highway. All stock except for a little quieter muffler which I think shaved about 1/4 mile per gallon off as I think it's a little more restrictive and my MPG dropped slightly after install (I still like it quiet).

I changed my plugs about 10k miles past due or so if I remember right and there was no real difference in MPG.

Chasing MPG with money in this truck is more or less a waste of time. Let's use your numbers: you get 14 cruising on the highway. Let's say you can do something that improves your MPG by 2 MPG, which is huge - more than a 10% increase. Let's further assume you pay $2/gallon and you drive 15k miles a year:

15k miles/14 MPG = 1071 gallons x $2/gallon = $2,142
15k miles/16 MPG = 937 gallons x $2/gallon = $1,875
Difference = $267

Outside of normal maintenance, anything 'special' you tried would likely just make you even, i.e. if you gain 1/2 MPG but spend $75 getting it, it really doesn't make a lot of sense. If gas was a lot more expensive, it makes a little more sense, but it's still not a whole lot of money in a year comparatively speaking.

#9 ·
Yeah mods will never recoup themselves in cost in terms of MPG. They just make it louder and faster. CAI's typically help but in some rare cases, like mine, I saw an immediate loss in MPG. I've been meaning to swap back to stock for a week or two since my boss has a Titan but I'm too lazy and other stuff gets in the way.

#10 ·
2004 with 185,000+

Front and rear differential have been replaced as have the manifolds. Various other issues that include...leaking bearing gaskets, window switches that quit working, freezing doors in the winter, cracked transmission mount, clicking HVAC vents, broken evap valve (can't fill the gas tank), fuel guage sending unit replaced 3 times, front bearings replaced...pick any problem you see on the this forum and guaranteed I have had it, with the exception of my radiator. Mine has not cracked or leaked like others.

My best MPG is 19. I average around 17 mpg otherwise and 14 mpg in town. Keep in mind I use non ethanol gas. Those reporting lower numbers use ethanol gas which lowers the MPG by about 2-3.

#11 ·
Yep, you guys are spot on. I completely agree, I won't go throwing money at it. I'm not against normal maintenance though, as it helps the truck run better and prevents me from being stranded on the side of the road. (I.e. new tranny mount, axle vent mod, u-joints, prg shackles, plugs, pcv, and fluids as I've already done to ensure reliability)

I just find it odd to get 10mpg nearly completely stock. I've had it for 6 months now, and before my last two fill ups I never went below and 12.2 miles per gallon. Granted they may have switched to cold weather gas, but if other guys with a similar setup are averaging 14 something could be wrong. I'm not pulling any engine codes though, and no stumble, chugging, ticking, or weird symptoms.. I accept bad gas mileage, but not if it's due to a faulty part that needs to be replaced.. Hmm.. Frustrating!

#12 ·
Motors are designed to pump air. Every thing that modifies them usually is to move more air. Engine management systems are designed to match fuel to the air intake volume to achieve an 'ideal' ratio. More air, more fuel. The problem with cracked manifolds is also the same problem with aging or damaged O2 sensors. The O2 sensors, as they age, become slow to react to the extremely fast rich to lean condition that the ECU creates with the injector pulses. Cracked manifold equals extra oxygen in the exhaust....which makes the ECU think you're running really lean! Old O2 sensors do the same. Combine the two and you are behind the MPG 8ball. Change one thing at a time to check your results, but for certain....O2 sensors are limited in life. I change mine at 80K religiously (4 and 5 wire) and the 1 or 2 wire versions at 30K.

#14 ·
2006 LE. 6" lift, 35's. 270kms. 13-14 mpg. Common problems, 3rd set of cracked manifolds. Hub assembly, u-joints, trans mount, heater problem fixed. Evap purge valve, fixed toolbox door numerous times. tailgate hardware, need all 4 cv boots now. Headers coming in near future. Passengers side door - cable seized inside door wont open from outside. Great truck, I'll love her to the end. Strong trans, oil pressure top notch, doesnt burn/drip a spec of oil. Truck has magnaflo exhaust, injen powerflow CAI, throttle body spacer, etc

#15 ·
2005 XE 4x4 with 133,000+ miles
Replaced the following because of failure:
Both rear axle seals, one under Warr. the other at over 100K
Front Diff Pinion Seal
Radiator at over 100K
Exhaust Manifolds Cracked
Primary Cat Bank 2 imploded
High Pressure Steering Hose
Struts
Brakes Pads/Rotors FRT/RR
ECM relay (recall)
Trailer wiring harness wired wrong (warranty)
Transmission mount is bad just haven't gotten around to changing it.

Replaced for preventative/maint. outside the norm:
Shocks
Transmission Hoses
Axle Vent Tube mod
Tuned after header install
All O2 sensors
Radiator bypass with cooler
Upcoming my oil cooler seal

Mine is a XE so I don't have the trip computer, according to my calculations I'm getting around 15 at a combination of city/highway per tank

#16 ·
Just traded my 04 Titan SE King Cab, Off Road, 2WD. 275,000 miles. No repairs required until 265K. Replaced both rear axles and seals, both front hubs and bearings. $2K repair, but no complaints. The clear coat was worn off in large patches on the body, the drivers captains seat was worn out and worn through the upholstery. Beyond that the truck ran like new, did not use oil, and still rode and drove nice. Everything still worked including the A/C which had never been charged or repaired. You can't ask for better performance than that.

I replaced it with a 2015 Titan SV Crew Cab.

#17 ·
Owners manual has recommendations for 100k service. Also there's a "refreshing your titan" thread that is very helpful.

I have over 100k on my 2011 pro4x and I get 12 mostly city driving. I'm on heavy 33's, 3" lift, Airaid, exhaust, and bullydog though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.