301K views 863 replies 346 participants last post by  busemans 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's # of Rear Diff Failures Reported To NHSTA

Complaints filed to the Office of Defects Investigation---NHTSA
Nissan Murano--Alternatior Failures
2003-- 73 complaints filed
2004-- 24 " "
2005-- 3 " "
Result-- After a lengthy investigation, 150,000 Muranos recalled to have Alternator replaced with new fixed one. Reason-- Unsafe, could cause crash
Nissan started putting in New alternators at factory mid-2005,before recall, because of the ongoing investigation by NHTSA

Complaints filed to the Office of Defects Investigation--- NHTSA
Nissan Titan-- Rear Diff failures
2004-- 5
2005-- 4
2006-- 0
As you can see from the Murano reports it doesnt take alot to open up an investigation. So please report>>> http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
42 reported here only 9 reported to NHSTA. I think 42 would open an investigation. Least we would know what is causing the problem

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
NICE THREAD!! Good job Pepco. Everyone please report so that my Titan can get recalled and fixed (if there is a defect) before my diff goes out.

UPDATE ****** 12-28-2008: My differential just grenaded last Saturday morning. Fixed under power train warranty thang goodness!

Reactions: MidTNTitan
#3 ·
Vegas04 said:
NICE THREAD!! Good job Pepco. Everyone please report so that my Titan can get recalled and fixed (if there is a defect) before my diff goes out.
Goes double for me :cheers:
(maybe a sticky thread)

#8 ·
Is there a link to those numbers, so we can see if it is going up. I doubt it is updated more than once a week, but would be interesting to keep an eye on it.
Tom

#11 ·
37L1 said:
As a service to those who have experienced rear differential failures, this thread has had a sticky applied.
I think this thread is important to every Titan owner . If all diffs. get reported,
then it will be a well known problem to all dealers & Nissan (some still haven't seen or heard of any diff failures).This will make it much easier for all of us to get a new rear when and if the time comes . Some of us tow alot ,some of us have lift kits, i plow with my truck, some have installed traction bars ,There will be no excuses for the dealers to play the blame game (which they always do)....

#12 ·
I put my complaint in about a month ago but never saved my complaint number. Anyone know how to pull it up?????

Hopefully we can get some results. It looks fairly promising. I really hope it goes through. Once the warranty runs out this fix won't be cheap!!!!

Cheif

#14 ·
During at least 2 oil changes for the Murano at the dealer, I've seen 2 Titans up on the lift. I asked the mech. what they were in for and both times they said they were replacing rear diff because of driver abuse.

If the NHTSA determines this could cause a crash, say if one fails at a intersection... they will pressure or even force Nissan to deal with the problem, they dont play around

#16 ·
I think it would be very wise for Everyone who has had problems to reprot them. It will only serve the greater good!

And I think everyone who also has had problems with the locks and remotes in the doors freezing up on them should do the same report it.

This is how you force the Manufacture to fix this and other problems that need to be fixed even if you have not yet experienced it!

Even though I got them to send me parts for my doors they first did not tell me and my dealer the truth!

They said that there were no new parts when in fact I had the new part numbers, when I told them this they just hung up on me! :boxing:

Deep.

#17 · (Edited)
Hey gang, for the 2004's, one complaint is currently listed under "power train:axle assembly" but it is actually described as a differential failure. There are eight under "power train:driveline:differential assembly". Try to make sure they all go under the right classification (differential).

Edit:
Similar with the 2005's. There are two under "axle assembly" that should have been put with the other 4 complaints under "differential assembly".

#19 ·
Im on there for two of mine.

Reactions: sensign67@msn.com
#20 ·
The first one I reported too 2 weeks to show up using my conformation number. So hopefully we will start to see a large increase of these posted.

#21 ·
Filed and done, and if u think its driver abuse then your not to smart because if you think about it YOU SEE NO FORDS IN FOR THIS NO CHEVYS IN FOR THIS NO GMCs IN FOR THIS ONLY Nissan Titans... im sure theirs a few of the others but nowhere near the amount of titans, and a burn out is not even as stressful as towing somthing like 7000 pounds... so think about it.

#22 ·
Standard company line-DRIVER ABUSE-diffs,brakes,motors

Driver abuse is always going to be the standard company line parroted be service reps when a drivetrain component that usually lasts until the vehicle is junked, breaks at low miles(no doubt it is occasionally true).All car companies all the time use this line-heck Dodge probably used this line in reference to their minivan transmissions that would die with great regularity at 50,000 miles.-Brakes-rides the brakes;motor-drag races;diff-didn't follow breakin,towed too heavy,did burnouts etc;
In this case-the rear diffs-it is clearly BS;there are just too many sober middle aged drivers having failures at very,very low miles.Very,Very low for a differential is under 50,000 miles.Rear diffs just don't break!!!Has anyone here ever had a diff failure in any other truck??The 8000 folks here have probably owned 20,000 "other"vehicles-probably at least 10,000 trucks-did any break a differential at 10,000 miles????The median failure -of 44 reports)is probably 10,000 miles-mean about the same.The highest mileage failure is under 50,000 miles-lowest under 1000 miles with plenty well under 7000 miles!!
Luck,Charlie PS mine hasn't failed-nothing has(9500 miles 2wd XE KC2004),but I drive like a candy azz!

#553 ·
Re: Standard company line-DRIVER ABUSE-diffs,brakes,motors

Driver abuse is always going to be the standard company line parroted be service reps when a drivetrain component that usually lasts until the vehicle is junked, breaks at low miles(no doubt it is occasionally true).All car companies all the time use this line-heck Dodge probably used this line in reference to their minivan transmissions that would die with great regularity at 50,000 miles.-Brakes-rides the brakes;motor-drag races;diff-didn't follow breakin,towed too heavy,did burnouts etc;
In this case-the rear diffs-it is clearly BS;there are just too many sober middle aged drivers having failures at very,very low miles.Very,Very low for a differential is under 50,000 miles.Rear diffs just don't break!!!Has anyone here ever had a diff failure in any other truck??The 8000 folks here have probably owned 20,000 "other"vehicles-probably at least 10,000 trucks-did any break a differential at 10,000 miles????The median failure -of 44 reports)is probably 10,000 miles-mean about the same.The highest mileage failure is under 50,000 miles-lowest under 1000 miles with plenty well under 7000 miles!!
Luck,Charlie PS mine hasn't failed-nothing has(9500 miles 2wd XE KC2004),but I drive like a candy azz!
Hmm. The nerf bar brackets are bent to the rear of my truck. I probably should have taken them off before I submitted my Titan to the dealership for a 60,550 mile drive train warranty. Especially when the drive train warranty ran out at 60,000 miles. Something to think about.

:read: you are awesome! PHO. And thanks.

#23 ·
STi_Exorcist said:
Filed and done, and if u think its driver abuse then your not to smart because if you think about it YOU SEE NO FORDS IN FOR THIS NO CHEVYS IN FOR THIS NO GMCs IN FOR THIS ONLY Nissan Titans... im sure theirs a few of the others but nowhere near the amount of titans, and a burn out is not even as stressful as towing somthing like 7000 pounds... so think about it.
13 Ford 2004 F-150's differential failures reported to NHTSA.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/418601-post10.html

#24 ·
#25 ·
Tell that to the 13 people who have had their Ford diff blow.

Also, 13 are only those who reported it, much like the Titan. There are sure to be plenty more than those who have gone to NHTSA with their problem.

Spin it any way you want, numbers is numbers.

#26 ·
Pheobisis you are very correct in your statements. Differentials just don't break like that. period.

I talked to a Firestone tech this weekend. He said many vehicles of different brands will come in faulty for the same item in trends. Right now rotors are one big item. They are made from recycled metal and a lot of them are rusting and pitting away. Ever check out your old rotors after a wash? BTW, they've done a few Titan diffs under service contracts with rental companies. I know we have Bosch brakes, but who really made the rotors?

Guys, what we need are 100 complaints to get the ball rolling here. It's the type of action I've been banking on ever since my diff exploded at 3600 miles. I knew it was wrong.

Things can be made right with minimal effort on our part. Keep it going!!!!

Chief

#28 ·
I checked and mine is there.

On the second rearend the dealer stonewalled me for tow days. Come to find out, they were checking for "abuse". After confronting the service manager in front of about 15 customers, he took me to the side and admitted to checking for abuse and could not find any of any kind. Abuse is a crock of sh&%. We all need to report these rearends. I think there are some people that are not reporting them because it only happened to them once. "It must have been a fluke." or "This wont happen again." is not cutting it. Everyone needs to report this the first time. PLEASE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.