Nissan Titan Forum banner

Used Titan - will it last?

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Pale Rider 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to purchase an old Titan as a recreation/off-roading vehicle. One for sale that's a 2004 V8 model with 4WD, with 190K miles on it. Truck is in good shape considering age and doesn't appear to have any mechanical issues currently. I'm concerned this needs major work soon though given the high mileage - still has original engine and transmission for example. I'm guessing a transmission rebuild on this runs me in the $3K range. What do you think - worth it at the right price or pay more for lower mileage?

#2 ·
Depends on how much you're paying for it now. 190k is pretty high but these trucks have been know to last far longer than that if they are well taken care of. using this as a throw around truck offroad will shorter the period of time the truck last for sure. But depending on what you're using it for and how much you're paying for it really is all up to you

#4 ·
I haven't heard issue with engines and transmissions on these trucks. not like chevy.

The main trouble areas I know of
the rear axle seals, you may see visible leaking,
cracked mainfolds and or bad cats, you can usually hear ticking or smell exhaust in the engine bay. Thats about $2k in parts (cajun) and 4-6 of labor
warped rotors, on the early years,

Reactions: nightowl
#5 ·
For an 04 with that many miles, I wouldn't pay that amount.

Now, I'd have no qualms buying one, provided it checked out via a mechanic. If the seller won't let you have a mechanic put it on a lift and check it, don't buy it.

The trans rebuild will cost you between $4-5k, most likely. Headers have been addressed above, along with axle seals. The only other thing you want to look at is the radiator, as that can be an issue sometimes, developing cracks in the plastic tanks. That'll run you less than $200 for an oem-style replacement. I wouldn't spend the $300-500 for an all-aluminum radiator for a truck with that high mileage. And you'll need to do rotors more often on the early models, as mentioned above.

You're looking potentially at ball joints, bushings, hoses and belts being worn and needing replacement on one of that age, as well as possibly front wheel bearing assemblies. Nothing difficult to do, but it can add up quickly when you're paying $50-200 per issue, and you have a series of issues.

You should be able to find a decent truck with less than 150k miles on it for $10k or less, I suspect. It will take some shopping, but they are out there.

Reactions: nightowl
#6 ·
I saw an 04 4x4 on craigslist the other day sell for 4600 and it had about 170k on it.

#8 ·
The Titan has the issues posted above but the engine and drivetrain is very solid. I have customers with the 04 over 300K miles and still going strong. Cracked manifolds is the main issue on these trucks any year model. Also look at the rear axle seals for leaks as that is a common issue also on the 04-06 years. I run a 05 and it has 165K on it and still going strong and squeak free. I would Not be afraid to jump in it now and head to Alaska.

#9 ·
I bought my 04 titan with 116k almost 2 years ago for 7k canadian. I looked over the truck drove fine didn't see any leaks or anything out of the ordinary and seemed like a solid truck. Wrong!
I now have 128k and have spent around 5k on this truck. I think I just bought someone's problems and as they say a suckers is born every minute.well I was that sucker. I will never buy an old used truck again. For the amount I'm spending on this truck I could have just bought a truck off the lot and be doing payments.
I'm not bashing titans. I love this truck when nothing is wrong. Its one of the best driving trucks and best looking trucks around and this forum is awesome. I found every bit of info Ive needed to fix this truck.
I feel if your going to buy any truck with 100k you better be mechanically inclined and some extra money cause there will probably be something wrong.

#11 ·
The scary part is no.... I just waiting for those 2 to go and I'll have a whole new truck.
I replaced the front diff, neutral safety switch, brakes all around, the clicking actuators inside, evap canister, wheel bearings, rotten exhaust, a/c repairs, etc.
The list never ends. I don't think I've had 1000miles without a new issue.
So I have an 04 I bought for $7000+$5000repairs+$1400 for new tires(just adding up costs) so at the end of the day I have a 12year old truck that I spent $13400 on that I don't trust to take any distance. That I could probably only sell for $5000.
I'm not that mechanically inclined, I hate working on vehicles. I work construction and I've come to terms that I can save money on home repairs/reno and to just spend the money on a newer vehicles with a warranty and I'll just be happier.

#13 ·
Yup I sure did. Im not going on here being a troll saying that titans are junk. Just mine is haha. Everyone I talk to just loves theirs and there's lots of reports of guys on here with very high miles on theirs. So mine is just a total lemon and I just don't have good luck. I when I bought the truck I had plans to deck this truck out but I have far to much into it.
This truck will only get the bare bone minimum maintenance for the next year or so then move on to a brand new truck.

#18 · (Edited)
I hear you though.
I`ve not been a member since my own banment. lol...
Yup, the FJ community is like a large family, I still keep in touch with a few.

some folks that were new just didn`t appreciate my humor, lol...

the thing with forums is, the knowledgeable people leave for some reason or another, the good threads get buried, the same question gets asked and some people get bent, and the sheet starts all over again.
I`ve spent years posting How too`s, build threads from cars/trucks/boats and ski`s. sometimes wish I had all that time back bc in the end it didn`t matter, someone new always new better, what air pressure, what oil, what impeller or mod yada yada yada... and the good stuff got buried.

there are some forums I don`t even open the door to bc you`ll get your head bit off for asking anything, ie: I8mud... and a few others from cars to boats.

I`m just to old and ornery for the drama...

I hope this place stays true and helpful. I do notice there is not as much traffic here as other sites...

here is a pic of what I sold and got into a Titan

#19 ·
That's a pretty sweet fj. I have a jeep wrangler and go on the wrangler forum often. Alot don't have very good things to say about the fj. Although they are welcoming and nobody bashes anyone for asking very common questions.
I'm also on a fishing forum. Other then ppl posting their trip pics if you ask about anything fishing you'll get ripped to apart.

#21 ·
Back in Joisey, we literally live across from Wharton state park, when we weren`t boating we were wheeling with the dogs. Brought the rig to east NC and nothing, nodda, zip close by. I`m not into mudding and burying any rig. wheeling was 4+ hour drive towards the mountains or Uwharrie, and the beach had expensive permits and time limits. wasn`t worth the trip to OBX from where we live.

went from free wheeling anytime we liked, even cut across the trails to get home sometimes. to nothing, fooling around in the game lands when the hunters weren`t there and a ****ty old run down golf course... yay... NOT, so she sat in the driveway while we drove the CC Frontier. wanted to get back into a pick up and the fun starts all over... but no more trail riding until I get back top NJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.