Nissan Titan Forum banner

Opinion on a new-ish Titan....

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Smccarty3 
#1 ·
Want to see what some of your opinions are on here. There is a 14 Titan still sitting on a dealership lot here in town. Last time I looked at it, it had 74 miles on it. Door tag says February '14. Dealer has installed XD wheels, lift kit, blacked out head lights, led tails, looks like n-fab step rails......things of that nature. They are selling it as new, never been titled. My obvious argument is, it's not new. It's a 2 year old, old body style, pickup that you've had for 2 years now. I drove it the April after they got it and finished it. They are still asking well over original new price since they've got money sunk into it. Salesman told me to come down and they will make a deal because they want it gone. I know I'm the only one who's seriously interested in it. Both salesmen told me that and the one still has my card sitting on his desk from last year when they were going to make me a deal on it.

I'm wondering what kind of issues I should be worried about. I told them I'm not interested if they aren't throwing in the extended warranty with it. Not to mention, I'm wondering what kind of price I should look to negotiate. I think they've finally realized they are going to loose money on it. I think they believe I will give more than what they will get at auction. But, I'm not paying them 43,xxx for a 2 year old pickup. I've always said I wouldn't buy new because of the depreciation, much less the depreciation on a 2 year old new pickup. I think the original sticker was 34,xxx.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
lift kit - $1000.
Wheels - $1000
Headlights, tail lights, side steps - $1000.
Shop install -$1000

Depending on what brand/quality of lift kit, it isn't necessarily an upgrade.

I would find a new 2015 leftover on a lot and see the price on it. I would consider a 2014 leftover a few thousand cheaper and start from there.

#4 ·
Start with what kbb.com says a 2014 with 75mi is worth with the options that truck has. Figure in an additional $1k for the wheels/tires, and another $1k if the lift is a good one and installed well. Insist on the extended warranty at no additional charge, or at least get in writing that the factory warranty starts on the date of sale (don't take verbal, get it written and signed by the GM at the dealership) and be sure that includes 3/36 on the lift and 5/60 on the powertrain including any issues caused by the lift (CVs, driveshaft, etc.). If you pay any more than that number, you're getting ripped off, in my opinion. You can buy a new 2015 and have what you want installed and come out ahead at some point not far north of that number. Remember, as well, that if you drive it off the lot for a whole lot more money, and a tree falls on it, you're out what you can't recover from insurance on it. In fact, that might also be a good idea - talk to your insurance company and find out what they would deem that truck in a "total loss" situation and be sure you pay less than that by enough that you won't go upside down in the next year or two as it depreciates.

Just a quick check on kbb, figuring a pretty maxed out SE version, the numbers come in around $33k for the truck with 75mi, plus another $2000-2500 for the extras (and don't pay shop labor, that's their problem). Total on the truck is no more than $35,500, and that's "out the door," in my view. Even then, you'll be upside down in 3mo if you're not putting a good trade on it or some cash down. I'd start out offering $31500 or 32k, and if they just balk, walk away. If they're willing to negotiate a bit, I could see going up as high as $34500 without much hesitation. But much above that, and I'd get up and walk away. With the 2016 coming out right now, that truck isn't gaining value for them. You shouldn't have to eat their bad judgement.

#6 ·
That's what I was looking for. I had 34-35 in mind. I've told them there is no way I would be interested anywhere close to what they are asking. I told them on the phone that I'm at least 10,000 below what they are asking. I just wanted to make sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. Thanks fella.

#5 ·
New, never titled is good. The factory warranty begins at the in service date.

#7 ·
Oh, and they've already told me they would be willing to give me 16,xxx for my truck. It's paid off. I figure that's a good starting point. I had 17,500 in mind for mine. I kept all the factory stereo equipment minus the speakers. I figure $100-150 on cheap speakers and a day of uninstalling and installing.

#8 ·
Yeah. I'd start like I said and if they don't get down close to 36k quickly, just walk. Plan on it taking a good 4hrs to negotiate the final price somewhere in the $34-and-change range.

#11 ·
Well, I will see if these pics load. Picked it up on Wednesday. Took 6 hours of back and forth. Tried making all their money on my trade and on the interest of the loan. Finally got it all squared away. 33,599 for it, 19,750 for mine. Got an extended warranty with it, 7 years/120,000, bumper to bumper. Had them write on the paperwork that all dealer installed aftermarket parts included. Pretty happy with the deal. See if these will load.

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

#12 ·
Super sharp...now I'm jealous!

#14 ·
Right on. Way to play ball.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.