Nissan Titan Forum banner

People Constantly Insulting the Titan?!

6K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  PSO 
#1 ·
This post is just me venting for a minute guys, sorry, but how come people including popular automotive networks, constantly down play the Titan? For example, The Fast Lane Truck constantly says, "their one of the smaller trucks in the full size lineup" okay, numbers state that a titan PRO4X has the same height and clearance as a Raptor...if you look at specs the Titan is bigger than Silverado 1500s, ram 1500s, and tundras, the only truck that comes close to the same size is an f150. The only specs where the Titan is "smaller" would be in length, for the crew cab/short bed length, and interior cab space only second to the f150...2ND! In the whole lineup. Can someone explain to me how their small??.. Also is when networks and people under rate their power. I've raced (stock vs stock) 6.2 raptors, hemi ram rumble bees and daytonas, Chevy ss, and iforce tundras...I've smoked all of them down a quarter mile track, no problem. I haven't raced a stock lighning cause that truck would probably win haha. And recently I just watched a video from Motor Trend, staying that the only titans, as in 2015 and back, can handle hard work and are weak?? Okay, I've pulled my friends horse trailer, fully loaded, 30 miles down route 40 here in DE, fully loaded that trailer weighed just under 15,200lbs. My truck yanked it no problem. I've also loaded just over 2,000lbs in my bad with barely any squat. Drive with it no problem. I work at a car dealership and out of 160 locations nation wife we have about 80 titans...80! We can never get out hands on many of them because people keep them forever!! I have a good amount of customers who come in asking for a titan and state that it's the only "1500 series" truck they have owned that works and preforms like a 2500 series diesel truck....Again, sorry for the rant, I'm just so tired of hearing big name networks and other people talk down on this awesome machine.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry for some of the errors. Spell check likes to think some of my words shouldn't be there lol. I meant "STATEING the OLD trucks CAN'T handle work and are weak" and also "nation wide" not wife haha.
I also meant to add that I was looking at a 2015 Chevy 2500 duramax when considering a new truck...the bed on the duramax was only a little longer than the Titan's bed. The height, cab space, clearance and ride height were all identical. Again I ask, how are they small?

#3 ·
It's a stupid vehicle so who cares what people think.

Reactions: LUBECAKES
#4 ·
I don't know, the Titan physically seemed a little smaller to me than others, but have no idea why that matters. To me it meant the space was used more efficiently and I think most trucks are just to big and are only that big for the sake of being big. Look under the hood under most and you just a bunch of open space for no reason.

I bought a Titan because I like the size and because like you said, in the 1500 series/light duty area of trucks, it was one of the few that is actually capable of doing work, the only other real option I could find was the Tundra and there were to many nit picky things I didn't like which all in total added up to a truck I would've hated in the long run. Yes, you can get the domestic light duty trucks setup to actually do work, but a vast majority of them out there are not, a truck with a max tow of around 5000 lbs, is kind a worthless truck to me, especially when my wife's VW Touareg is capable of 7,716lbs. Just wish that damn thing wasn't such a pain in the *** to work on.

#5 ·
The Titan appears and feels smaller to some because of its short sloped front end. It's just as wide and high as the others and it is a couple inches shorter but not much.

#6 ·
I'm not sure why, but tfl has an anti-Titan bias. They slant their tests (and are either purposefully deceitful or strictly incompetent) to work against the Titan, and they brag on other trucks for things they decry as bad about the Titan. No idea why, but because of their obvious favoritism for some makes (and particularly for ram which is easily the biggest POS vehicle I've ever owned!) and bias against the Titan, I don't believe anything they put on their site, and I deem them a useless and either lying or incompetent organization.

As for the rest, I suspect it's a total lack of familiarity with the Titan and either no time or no desire to become educated. A minority of folks who have owned and operated Titans come away with negative views. The percentages seem, anecdotally, to be markedly higher with other makes.

Reactions: jbawden
#12 · (Edited)
I'm not sure why, but tfl has an anti-Titan bias. They slant their tests (and are either purposefully deceitful or strictly incompetent) to work against the Titan, and they brag on other trucks for things they decry as bad about the Titan. No idea why, but because of their obvious favoritism for some makes (and particularly for ram which is easily the biggest POS vehicle I've ever owned!) and bias against the Titan, I don't believe anything they put on their site, and I deem them a useless and either lying or incompetent organization.

I've been very happy with my Ram for the past two years. It's had 0 issues except for two airbag recalls. No rattles, no warped brakes, no craked manifolds, no worn steering wheel and seats at least yet. LOL. I don't like TFL either but I think there more Ford Biased then anything. MR. Truck is the only one that really knows anything about towing and hauling, the other guys are just city slickers who think the newest truck is always the latest and greatest. I agree they don't give the Titan credit for its true abilities.

#7 ·
^^^^its funny you mention ram^^^^

Just this morning I heard a radio report of Chrysler owners complaining about their confusing transmission shifters. Saying that when they get out of the cars thinking its in park that they just roll away..lol...

"Grandma you have to roll the knob to P and then get out"

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
I guess it all boils down to one thing: do you, or anyone else for that matter, "really" care what others think? I mean, personally, I don't give a rat's @$$ what others think. I bought a T because I like what it had to offer...not to mention that it's pretty easy on the eyes. A majority of those reviews are all biased (bought and payed for).

#10 ·
Don't know if they have had reliability issues yet, but when you are pushing a small volume engine to do that much work, it's going to become common if it isn't. Doing more with less has never worked in the past and isn't going to work in the future.

Of course that is relative as things do become better and more efficient, just seems Ford went to the extreme with the Eco Boost engines and I can't believe they are that far ahead of the curve of everyone else.

#13 ·
When the Titan first came out, it had a great reception from most applicable media outlets, and for good reason. It was the top performer out of all the full size trucks. Fast forward 10 years and the truck magazines are having to compare the same exact truck, same fuel mileage, same skid pad, same towing and hauling specs, slight horsepower and performance increase, same open differential, even on 4x4 models, and tons of other reasons the current gen became irrelevant. There's only so many times they can praise the rumbling exhaust note and bed cleat system.

Reactions: honda250xtitan
#14 ·
I'll disagree that "mr truck" knows a whole lot about towing/hauling. He's the one who loaded the Titan XD with a huge gooseneck which weighed, bare, more than 75% of the towing capacity of the truck, then commenced to *****ing and whining about how they could only load a couple of four-wheelers and some cinder blocks on it. Dumbarse has no more sense than the two idiots who are the mainstays of tfl.

As for the ram, let me walk you through my problems, which started at 5k miles on my 2006, after buying it new from the dealer just a scant 2mo prior (I drove a ton at the time). Seat covers replaced under warranty because they were coming apart. Had to argue with the dealer about it to get it warranteed. A call from my lawyer solved that. After that first call, the dealership at least didn't argue much with me about warranty claims. Entire rearend replaced because it was machined out of alignment and ate pinion seals and diff bearings on a regular basis. Fog light stopped working - just one of them. That required a new harness. Passenger front seatbelt was replaced 3x because it wouldn't adjust correctly. I really should have lemoned the truck at that point, but it would have been hard because it was just over a year on the 3rd replacement. Never worked correctly as far as adjustment up and down on the b-pillar, but I got to the point I did not have a day to take off work again to deal with the incompetence of the dealership, and I was afraid it was some sort of structural issue which couldn't be fixed anyway. The AC blower fan door fell off into the blower. That's a common one with dodge. It's worse than the actuators on the T. The E-Brake handle broke off in my hand one day. The ignition cylinder had to be rebuilt by a locksmith because it's a terrible design and gets bent and then sticks. I called a locksmith to help me get my key out so I could lock the truck. He said, "Key stuck in your truck ignition? You drive a dodge, don't you?" Wonder how he knew? Blower fan and resistor shortly after the door fell into it. I'm sure that was related. Neither was warranty work as they both occurred after 36k. Had to replace a warped rear wheel, even. That finally explained the lifelong tire shake on the truck, at least, but was no cheap affair. There were numerous other issues, including that the dadgum thing ate headlight bulbs at a rate of a pair a year. I've had my T since 2011 and they're still original. (And my fog lights still work, too.) My steering wheel "leather" was paper thin and literally started rolling off in my hand around 40k. I'm at 55k now with the T and the wheel still looks brand new. All I can say is good luck with a dodge/ram. I learned my lesson. Look up dodge in the dictionary, and the definition tells you all you need to know: to avoid. That's sound advice.

Reactions: Indy
#15 ·
I shake my head at some of these networks when they say that Titan has the worst fuel mileage numbers of any half ton, only 17 MPG!! #2 is the Tundra at (ahem) a much more efficient 18 MPG....I bought my 2011 Titan because it cost about 10 grand less than a 2011 Tundra. It's an 8 cylinder engine, it will not be economical, I knew that when I bought it. (Smiles per gallon!!)

#16 ·
Thumper, I did the math when I bought my truck. I compared it to the F150 Ecoboost, which at the time was supposedly the very best mpg in a pickup, anywhere. It would have taken me over 200,000 miles of driving to earn back the difference when gas was $3.50+ per gallon. At our current prices of <$2 per gallon, it takes almost 400,000mi to earn back the difference. It's nuts!

#17 ·
I've watched all the tfl video's on the Titan and I would say they like the Titan.

They praised it for being able to tow grossly over the tow rating, being great offroad, being a good value. They have said more than once they liked the engine, transmission and exhaust note.

If anything they are fans of the Titan, that point out its strengths and weaknesses. Both of which there are many.

#18 ·
Watch the XD videos, then compare that to the test conditions they use on other half- and three-quarter-ton trucks. They test other trucks at 65mph, and then compare the XD tested at 70mph. They test other trucks in temperate weather, and then test the XD in sub-zero temps, and complain about power and mpg. They praise others for "having only 12 breaking events" coming down the hill, but they complain about the XD having 8 (and even try to get the driver to make it 9 when the truck is maintaining speed without need for braking). Then they praise other trucks for towing less, and complain about the XD towing more. They outfit the XD with a trailer which is grossly mismatched to the truck in both length and weight (and would be more suitable for a 1-ton) which equates to roughly 75% of the towing capacity, then whine about not being able to load the trailer with more stuff. They complain about the lack of an exhaust brake on the XD, but don't mention or use the downhill mode on the transmission (which is not an optional feature). It's like they're trying to make the XD look bad.

They're just dishonest or stupid. There's no two ways about it.

Reactions: Indy
#21 ·
I have watched it, and while they do seem to be against the XD I think they have merit.

Nissan has portrayed the XD as a towing rig. And in my opinion similar to a 2500, which it isn't. It is a heavy half, no more.

Tfl went into the test with high expectations and were disappointed. I think Nissan oversold and under delivered the XD. If they said it was a half ton that towed well, then it fits the bill, but Nissan constantly said how amazing this truck was at towing and clearly it just isn't that much better than most current half ton trucks.

The looks are another story entirely, which is completely subjective, but most people seem to be less than impressed, TFL included.

#20 ·
it all boils down to this truck has been the same style since 04 minor changes of course. and is still one of the best looking trucks. and has just as many features. sure they are bad on gas, but I'm sorry any V8 is bad on gas. if you need to save your pickles don't get a truck in the first place. i also believe a lot of people strictly get "Domestic" vehicles even though their parts a lot of are not truly from America.

#23 ·
There have been a couple of other publications, Autoguide for example that say the XD will feel much better towing at it's Max than other 1/2 tons and that seems to be the case. I'm not talking about acceleration, I'm talking about cruising down the hwy fully loaded in comfort, and with plenty of stability.

Mr. Trucks own test praised it a decent amount. He said the more he drove it the more he liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f82D_BnSyEQ

#26 ·
You're welcome¿?¿?

The short fat one on tfl liked the pro4x.. Hes always spoke well of it.. The tall fat one doesn't really claim aligance to any, maybe a little Ford biased..not much though. And anyone that does interviews in 2015 (at the time) with a wired microphone shouldn't be taken seriously.. Mr truck should be wearing Mr elbow patches on his sport coat.

Bias is always going to take place in this industry. It's the nature of free market and an open society. We should be greatful for opinionated (_!_)holes..

If the new 1/2 ton titan isn't impressive my next truck will be a tundra TRD pro, maybe a taco TRD pro.

Until that time comes I enjoy surprising egoboost and crap 5.3 silverbailouts.

#25 ·
I feel its like the never ending battle between chevy and ford. But with everyone else and us. Itll never stop, even if the Titan was truly better than all of them, in every single way, they would still talk sh*t...

Reactions: Sw500cal
#29 · (Edited)
Regarding TFL, I don't really see that much bias unless it's against the raptor or hellcat they personally drive and do head to heads against. I do find it interesting that they give the Dodge PowerWagon a pass at its underwhelming "towing capability". It's a 2500 with a payload of under 1500 LBS and a max towing rating of 10,000 LBS!!! But it "sacrifices" because it's so awesome off road. Why isn't the Pro4x given that same type pass as that is the predominantly default vehicle given for most reviews?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_SADMTuEc

#30 ·
I just call it like I see it. I could ask you the same question, msrockyblue. Why do you act like the XD is a personal affront to you. Bottom line is, tfl is either dumber than a sack of doorknobz, or they're purposefully slanting their tests. I didn't bring them up. I provided my opinion after someone else brought them up. That's the entire design of interactive forums online. Sorry you can't handle anyone not liking your favorite guys at tfl.

#32 ·
Well, I see you skimmed over everything and this is all you came up with. Typical.

#31 ·
You really can not go by what people say or what's popular. The masses are easily misled, and sometimes good stuff just flies under the radar. Example: the old Mazda B-series trucks (before they merged with Ford). These things are bulletproof. The driveline will run forever. They were (relatively) poor sellers in the compact truck market, which was at that time dominated by the Ranger, S-10, Toyota, and to a lesser extent Nissan. I have owned 2 of them and they were just about the cheapest vehicle I ever owned in terms of total cost of ownership.

This is where the Titan is going to be 10 years from now. My prediction is that the new version will be dumped at some point, because Nissan won't put enough marketing into the truck to make it profitable, and 10 years from now when people are looking for good, affordable full-sized vehicles the Titan is going to be the gem in the woods. I'm up to 150k on what I drove my two Titans combined and (knock on wood) have never been left anywhere nor had anything catastrophic go wrong.

#33 · (Edited)
Please don't bother to let facts get in the way of your dogmatic hatred of something nobody is asking you to like. You love TFL. We all get that. I don't have any use for them. Why you insist on making it personal is beyond me. You can't refute my facts because they're facts, not opinion. So you resort to a bunch of emotional tantrum throwing. Whatever. You've earned yourself a spot on my ignore list. I have zero use for any input from you or your troll-like posting as a tfl fanboy.

You can have the last word, but I won't see it. Enjoy.

#34 ·
Hey everyone, I didn't mean for some of these arguments to start. Just wanted to put my opinion out there along with my personal experience. Like I said, I don't know why people slant their towing, speed or capabilities. I've pushed my truck to the limit in almost every aspect and it's done nothing but show me that it can do more. Like I said, I've towed just under 15,200lbs, hauled around 2,000lbs and have beaten Chevy ss', ram rumble bees and daytonas, 6.2 raptors, ecoboost and 5.7 tundras all down a drag strip; (stock vs stock) just want to get it out there that the Titan is an awesome truck with imense power. Literally performs like a 2500 series truck.

#35 ·
Eh, it happens. Lol. As long as you enjoy your truck. I enjoyed both of mine. The only part that ever annoyed me, was people would always complement the truck, but call it a Tundra. Never failed. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.