Nissan Titan Forum banner

Premium Gas?

45K views 300 replies 52 participants last post by  HudsonValleyTitan 
#1 ·
The Oct 2004 edition of Truck Trend states that Titans require premium fuel. Is this true? Maybe I should have checked, but I've been putting 87 octane in mine since I bought it in Nov 05! Mmmm.....:crybaby:

#27 ·
I HATE IT WHEN MY TRUCK GETS RETARDED!!!!

I run premium when I can afford to. I may try to save a little cash and go mid grade, but the truck really does not like reg at all.

#28 ·
This my experience with 87 vs. 92... I drive a `04 LE, CC, 4x4, OR, BT, and the wife drives a `00 altima. We have tried both and the performance does not change, but the milage is less with the higher octane.. I can`t explain that but i did that several times with the same results. I don`t go to the track or have anyone clock me but can`t tell a bit of difference in performance with either vehicle except the overall milage.

#29 ·
redneckpapa1996 said:
This my experience with 87 vs. 92... I drive a `04 LE, CC, 4x4, OR, BT, and the wife drives a `00 altima. We have tried both and the performance does not change, but the milage is less with the higher octane.. I can`t explain that but i did that several times with the same results. I don`t go to the track or have anyone clock me but can`t tell a bit of difference in performance with either vehicle except the overall milage.
That make sense. Since the compression on the Titan is low, the higher octane gas cannot properly burn. Higher octane = harder to burn.

#30 ·
Thanks eric, now all i have been using is 87 and the truck runs great w/ only 12-13 mpg which is about normal for around town stop & go driving. With the 92 all i could get was 11mpg or less.I could get better if i drove like a papa (uhhh) i am! I`m no ASE mech., but is the `00 altima the same as titan?

#34 · (Edited)
pi3yeargrad said:
ILL STICK WITH PREMIUM IS BETTER :) who cares what I put in mine though...u guys put what u like and Ill keep puttin what I like :cheers:
What he said.

I will add one thing though, two things,

1)If you live where the fuel has alcohol in it year round-run 92, alcohol blend really sucks, the alcohol etches aluminum. Good thing in OR we only have it Nov-Mar. My buddies and I really hate to run it in our dirt bikes. (Runs to hot)

2)If you are above 2000 ft elevation 92 won't help. In OR at the mountain stations you can't even find 92.

OK bring on the "misslelau

#35 ·
pi3yeargrad said:
ILL STICK WITH PREMIUM IS BETTER :) who cares what I put in mine though...u guys put what u like and Ill keep puttin what I like :cheers:
you must be like 67 yrs old. sound like my gradnpa, "this is how i do it"... forget that people are trying to help educate you. Titan runs better on 87, and that 87 is cheaper. Than again marketers love people like you... all they have to do is put a "premium" label on things.

#36 ·
Titans certainly dont run bad on 87 ,but I am one who believes they run a bit beter on 93.
Its been said over and over again that the qx56 uses the same hardware as the titian so how do you explain its 10hp higher rating?

Nissan initially reccomended premium but it is my understanding that they went back and changed the rating because most people in the full size truck market do not want to run premium because of cost and they thought it might turn off some buyers.

On the other hand most people in the qx type market could care less and usually want the best so it didnt matter if they reccomended premium in that application.

#37 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
That's it! I officially hate you! You called it! LOL!:crying: :hellno:
hehehe told ya......do i know this place or what haha

#39 · (Edited)
EricCartmann said:
you must be like 67 yrs old. sound like my gradnpa, "this is how i do it"... forget that people are trying to help educate you. Titan runs better on 87, and that 87 is cheaper. Than again marketers love people like you... all they have to do is put a "premium" label on things.

Im 20...I dont care about a sticker (name) I care about how my truck reacts...I can tell a BIG difference thats why Ill stay with what Im doing...when I would put reg. which I tried for at least 5 tank fulls (even went back after premium to try anouther 3 or 4 tank fulls) my truck WOULD NOT KICK and it was sluggish...throttle response was bad...my engine made a funny noise...Going to premium I have not had problems and my truck runs hard...I get a cray kick at around 25mph now which I couldnt get with reg. it would slowly ease its way instead of accelerating hard when slamming on the gas... so... like I said u go do what u do and Ill do what I do...what makes u feel like u gotta be a teacher or summin...:rolleyes: I guess ur one of those that "has to be right" and dont listen even to a nissan tech right?

peacout :futwice:

edit: I have said before that MAYBE its not even the premium...maybe its just that the reg. gas around here is dirty (at the stations) and the premium gas is just cleaner since not to many people use, etc... I dunno... either way if its because the truck works better with premium or the gas here being "premium" is cleaner...doesnt matter...the cleaner better gas is working better (for me) and thats why I say Ill stick with it...

#40 ·
pi3yeargrad said:
Im 20...I dont care about a sticker (name) I care about how my truck reacts...I can tell a BIG difference thats why Ill stay with what Im doing...when I would put reg. which I tried for at least 5 tank fulls (even went back after premium to try anouther 3 or 4 tank fulls) my truck WOULD NOT KICK and it was sluggish...throttle response was bad...my engine made a funny noise...Going to premium I have not had problems and my truck runs hard...I get a cray kick at around 25mph now which I couldnt get with reg. it would slowly ease its way instead of accelerating hard when slamming on the gas... so... like I said u go do what u do and Ill do what I do...what makes u feel like u gotta be a teacher or summin...:rolleyes: I guess ur one of those that "has to be right" and dont listen even to a nissan tech right?

peacout :futwice:

edit: I have said before that MAYBE its not even the premium...maybe its just that the reg. gas around here is dirty (at the stations) and the premium gas is just cleaner since not to many people use, etc... I dunno... either way if its because the truck works better with premium or the gas here being "premium" is cleaner...doesnt matter...the cleaner better gas is working better (for me) and thats why I say Ill stick with it...
FYI: I don't know anything about anything.. all I do is I compare notes and choose who to believe. If you can proove to be on the dyno that your vehicle works better with premium than I am wrong. I seriously doubt it will.
:haveredfl

#41 · (Edited)
pi3yeargrad said:
maybe its just that the reg. gas around here is dirty (at the stations) and the premium gas is just cleaner since not to many people use, etc... I dunno... either way if its because the truck works better with premium or the gas here being "premium" is cleaner...
premium gas does not mean that it is "cleaner." it simply means that it burns at a slower rate for high compression motors. if you compare regular gas to premium gas from the same gas station that comes from the same refinery, they will be virtually the same amount of cleanliness.

#43 ·
EricCartmann said:
Thats the same guy who put "underglow" lights on his car. Enough said.

#44 ·
f00dstamps said:
premium gas does not mean that it is "cleaner." it simply means that it burns at a slower rate for high compression motors. if you compare regular gas to premium gas from the same gas station that comes from the same refinery, they will be virtually the same amount of cleanliness.
Not always the case. Some brands filter thier premium more than the regular, and some even go as far as to make it much cleaner in the refining process. Amoco used to do this, now they sell thier gas at BP

#45 ·
mach1 said:
Thats the same guy who put "underglow" lights on his car. Enough said.
haha no wonder.. can't believe i am trying to debate with a guy putting underglow underneath his car. that explains it all. :upsidedow

#47 · (Edited)
f00dstamps said:

hey foodstamps and I wasnt sayin its cleaner Im sayin maybe that tank that holds the "premium" gas here in the gas station is just cleaner than that of the reg gas which is the reason why my truck runs better on "premium" instead of reg...I dunno

and again to cartman...I really couldnt care less if u "believe me" and I dont have to prove anything to u or anyone else...lol...I got the cash (sorry u dont) and I wanna spend it...THATS WHY I GET PREMIUM

not really but maybe that will shut u up...lol...nah but presonally that is what I use, I have no intentions to prove anything to anyone...I feel comfortable using it...who cares why I use it...u guys use what u use and thats it... Ima stop debating here cuz I usually try to keep cool with everyone on this board but I think its pretty dumb now that u people get offended or I have no idea what...that I put premium and I feel it works better for MY TRUCK when again everyones truck is different...but oh well...

laterz dudez@!!

and also just wondering? cartman have u provided any good info or mods here to TT?? funny I guess Ive just never read anything that helped me out

#48 ·
no one is offended. even though i wish i was as rich as you so i can spend my money on premium gas even when i don't need it. :gunz:

#49 ·
#50 · (Edited)
#51 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.