Nissan Titan Forum banner

Premium Gas?

45K views 300 replies 52 participants last post by  HudsonValleyTitan 
#1 ·
The Oct 2004 edition of Truck Trend states that Titans require premium fuel. Is this true? Maybe I should have checked, but I've been putting 87 octane in mine since I bought it in Nov 05! Mmmm.....:crybaby:

#77 ·
EricCartmann said:
what color is your Titan? I got a black one and for the black ones 87 octane has worked for me flawlessly with no knocks or pings. I am sorry to hear you got an inferior one.

:huh: Are you for real?

#78 ·
Helinut1970 said:
i..........i........just don't think he gets it:huh:

#79 ·
Helinut1970 said:
that was a joke about the black titan but 87 octane has worked fine for me.

#80 ·
EricCartmann said:
EXACTLY! Thats why I want to see curves on dyno charts. Proof is in the pudding! :cheers:
I feel like Simon on American Idle (yea my wife makes me watch it :rolleyes: ) He is allways right but he is out numbered by the other 2 pinheads. Whats the point? Put the crappy gas in your truck, I dont care.

#81 · (Edited)
i don't get it ... i have pointed links to reputable people who claim premium is not needed, foodstamp even posted an excellent article.. hudson valley claims the Nissan is a high compression engine and I come back with the compression ratio of some vehicle as reported by the manufacturer that shows otherwise... all you guys say "it gets 10 more HP"... "the titan is a high compression engine" but yet don't back it up by showing me dyno charts or links.

#82 ·
EricCartmann said:
i don't get it ... i have pointed links to reputable people who claim premium is not needed, foodstamp even posted an excellent article.. i also posted, hudson valley claims the Nissan is a high compression engine yet I come back with the compression ratio of some vehicle as reported by the manufacturer... all you guys say "it gets 10 more HP"... "the titan is a high compression engine" but yet don't back it up by showing me dyno charts or links.
dood............freaking QX56 ----->>>>Titan........same freakin motor..........not hard to figure out, 56 "requires" premium and gets 315 HP.......titan is the same freakin motor they just don't put the "requires" premium as they think it will turn away buyers.........thus the 305 HP rating on 87 octane........with high octane the timing can be advanced thus more power........most cars WON'T DO THIS but the titan, armada and 56 do..............you can do the same thing on older cars with caps........run premium and you can manually advance timing for more power........

wanna debate that 2+2 = 6 not 4?

#84 ·
Truck41 said:
these computers do adjust or retard. my 05 tundra pulled better with premium. go figure.
Its a figment of your imagination, It didnt happen, according to Eric!

#85 ·
Truck41 said:
these computers do adjust or retard. my 05 tundra pulled better with premium. go figure.
carputers are getting smarter and smarter while the people behind some of the wheels still aren't receptive to change

#86 ·
Helinut1970 said:
Its a figment of your imagination, It didnt happen, according to Eric!
haha,

actually eric keeps saying he wants to see a dyno........but the burdon of proof is on him actually..........i could care less haha.........i know i'm getting about 2 MPG better since i switched to premium........so i'm happy

#88 ·
Ok guys its been real, but I am going to bow out of this debate. I have my wife waiting for me in the bath!!!:coolsmile Eric....I want to say I have enjoyed the debate but as Simon would say "You've got it all wrong here" But I have seen alot of your other threads and you seem to know your stuff, maybe Im the one who is wrong. Its like an athiest that refuses to believe "show me the proof ". If I am wrong we both turn to dust but if the athiest is wrong, he goes to visit Carl Sagan! Have a good night guys:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

#89 ·
i would not claim victory yet since 4 guys agreed without any proof.

u guys might be right and you might not... i never have claimed that premium does not work for the Titan.. it is just that I have not seen definate proof. Experts (by the article that foodstamps posted) tend to agree that most cars do not need premium. I took the route of believing the experts over 4 guys in a forum.

My R6 had a 12.4:1 compression ratio, alot higher than most cars as you can see. On the dyno it ran best on 87 octane (for pump gas). Not only was the peak higher for 87 octane vs. 91... but the curve was also smoother.

You are right the proof lies with me. I am curious to see the real results of what the dyno numbers say. All I asked was for some dyno charts, since no one has any I will go get some on my own. I will post my charts for all to see. It is winter now so I won't do it anytime soon. But come summer I plan to put this baby on the dyno, and if I can get a smoother curve and higher peak with premium then by all means I will use it.

#90 · (Edited)
EricCartmann said:
i would not claim victory yet since 4 guys agreed without any proof.

u guys might be right and you might not... i never have claimed that premium does not work for the Titan.. it is just that I have not seen definate proof. Experts (by the article that foodstamps posted) tend to agree that most cars do not need premium. I took the route of believing the experts over 4 guys in a forum.

My R6 had a 12.4:1 compression ratio, alot higher than most cars as you can see. On the dyno it ran best on 87 octane (for pump gas). Not only was the peak higher for 87 octane vs. 91... but the curve was also smoother.

You are right the proof lies with me. I am curious to see the real results of what the dyno numbers say. All I asked was for some dyno charts, since no one has any I will go get some on my own. I will post my charts for all to see. It is winter now so I won't do it anytime soon. But come summer I plan to put this baby on the dyno, and if I can get a smoother curve and higher peak with premium then by all means I will use it.
OK, your R6 has 12.4:1 CR but loses horsepower on 92. I would say you need to advance your timing. Higher octane fuel burns slower to help eliminate knocking/pinging. That is most likely why you made less power with 92, your timing needs to be advanced. If you advance the timing you can make more power. But if you choose to make less power with 87 that's your choice. I could show you timeslips from my drag racing days to back up what I am saying but they would just be slips of paper, just like a dyno chart.

That's one of the reasons I use premium is because I advance the timing manually if possible. This made my '87 Corolla, '87 Nissan PU, '89 Nissan 240SX make much more power. Especially in the low and midrange.

The Maxima and Titan use the computer to advance the timing. What is the CR of a Maxima? Is it much higher than a titan? My Maxima is a MT. MT need less advance than a AT. My Maxima is very sensitive to fuel. If there is even a possibility that my Titan might retard the timing because of low quality fuel then that is enough for me to run 92. If I could I would get rid of those knock sensors. Retarding the timing just kills power output.

Another thing, air and temperture change all the time. All my vehicles run different every day. From when I go to work to when I go home. Running 92 covers all weather conditions.

Do I run 92 100% of the time? No. About 90% of the time.

Hopefully you can understand this and respect what other people chose to do. But if not, I understand.

After all, this is America.

And no, I don't have dyno charts to support my claim of running better. Just think how many tanks of premium you can buy instead of paying the dyno fee.

Like I said before just my .02.

#91 ·
EricCartmann said:
Again let me see some dyno charts! So because you say so I am suppose to believe you?
Nope, I never claimed that you were supposed to believe me. Facts are facts...like I said, search here or speak to someone with knowledge of newer computer controlled engines, namely Nissan VQ, VG, VK motors.
I like to know what you claim a compression ratio has to be to be considered HIGH. And, where is it written that a high compression engine has to run on premium fuel. Easy, it's not. Just like there's nothing written that says only high compressions engines benefit from using premium fuel. For the most part, yes....premium can be wasted on vehicles whos ECU simply doesn't adjust timing enough to benefit from its use. Nissans VG, VQ, and VK engines all benefit but to what extent? Is an extra 10 HP worth the extra cost at the pump? Some say no, some disagree. The QX56 is the same exact motor, same part# ECU as Titan and Armada, yet it requires premium fuel and boasts a HP rating of 315. Also, the Titan required premium fuel when first released. All brochures mentioned it as well. Nissan changed it and lowered octane numbers because it was the only 1/2 ton to require it and feared it would be seen as an added expense over the competition. They were able to leave the QX as is because those buyers probably wouldn't b!tch.

BTW, Titan24's....I'm looking for you! Sleep with one eye open pal! LMAO

#92 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Nope, I never claimed that you were supposed to believe me. Facts are facts...like I said, search here or speak to someone with knowledge of newer computer controlled engines, namely Nissan VQ, VG, VK motors.
I like to know what you claim a compression ratio has to be to be considered HIGH. And, where is it written that a high compression engine has to run on premium fuel. Easy, it's not. Just like there's nothing written that says only high compressions engines benefit from using premium fuel. For the most part, yes....premium can be wasted on vehicles whos ECU simply doesn't adjust timing enough to benefit from its use. Nissans VG, VQ, and VK engines all benefit but to what extent? Is an extra 10 HP worth the extra cost at the pump? Some say no, some disagree. The QX56 is the same exact motor, same part# ECU as Titan and Armada, yet it requires premium fuel and boasts a HP rating of 315. Also, the Titan required premium fuel when first released. All brochures mentioned it as well. Nissan changed it and lowered octane numbers because it was the only 1/2 ton to require it and feared it would be seen as an added expense over the competition. They were able to leave the QX as is because those buyers probably wouldn't b!tch.

BTW, Titan24's....I'm looking for you! Sleep with one eye open pal! LMAO

hehe:upsidedow

#93 ·
Wow! This thread has grown up since I last posted.

#94 ·
RxZ said:
Wow! This thread has grown up since I last posted.
i wouldn't say grown up..............its just went the way all the other 12413223423423 threads about this went........down the sh1tter

#95 ·
I haved used the lower octane gas and i know for sure i do not get the MPG i do with the higher octane gas. I also noticed that when i do use the lower one my truck pings a lot.

#96 ·
TitanHigh said:
I haved used the lower octane gas and i know for sure i do not get the MPG i do with the higher octane gas. I also noticed that when i do use the lower one my truck pings a lot.
Todays advanced knock sensor equipped systms virtually eliminate any knock. You may want to have your truck looked at if that's really the case. You shouldn't have any knock using 87 octane.

#97 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I refuse to once again get into this stupid back and forth education of facts so...I'll say this only once and then....:
Isnt it hard to say it just once??? Dont you just sit there and bite your lip, pull your hair out and then explode........Finally!!!! You have to just school them again because you cant stand bad info going around!

#98 ·
Helinut1970 said:
One of the Mods has this in his Sig. And it has become one of my favorite lines. I just hope I dont screw it up so here it goes..............."Don't argue with Idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Hudson that 10 HP diff. explains the 1/2 sec diff. in my 1/4 mile times!
Its been awhile since I was spending time at the drap strip and building race cars, but I dont think 10 HP would come anywhere close to explaining .5 second difference in 1/4 mile times? Didnt i mention this already?

I belive the G-tech is crap from this alone.

#101 ·
everyone is just beating around the bush now..........if low compression engines = regular fuel.................then why does the QX56 (same compression ratio as the titan) require premium? *raises hand* I know I know

Again guys this is not a question of compression ratio but of timing. If people fail to see this then so be it.........COMPRESSION RATIO IS A MOOT POINT SINCE THEY ARE THE SAME ON BOTH VEHICLES!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.