Nissan Titan Forum banner

Premium Gas?

45K views 300 replies 52 participants last post by  HudsonValleyTitan 
#1 ·
The Oct 2004 edition of Truck Trend states that Titans require premium fuel. Is this true? Maybe I should have checked, but I've been putting 87 octane in mine since I bought it in Nov 05! Mmmm.....:crybaby:

#102 ·
I couldn't leave it well enough alone...
chalk me up on the board as one who "believes and have not seen" group. I use premium fuel and I feel and hear a difference that is better than regular fuel. Either buy it and believe it does your truck better or don't and think we are wasting our money. If Eric wants proof, I say he go and dyno his own truck with the money he saved on regular fuel to prove us believers wrong. And as for advertising techniques, your right, I bet we have all been suckered into buying something that stated "premium" or otherwise. I am gonna stoop so low as to say that I bet Eric has a "premium" scope on his rifle. (Just my opinion)

#103 ·
oh and eric when you do dyno......remember.....you have to reset the ECU and let it learn its new surroundings just like with every mod.........drive it like ya stole it for a full tank on premium then dyno with. I know my gas mileage was about the same for the first tank or two before i could get all the 87 octane out of the tank......then my mileage went up after about the 3rd tank........it takes a while for the truck to learn the new settings..........our trucks are retarded so they have to take special ed tuning classes

#106 ·
TitanFan59 said:
My trucks not retarded, it's mentally challenged.
surrrrrrrreeee........now go wipe the drool off the ground hanging out of your trucks grill hehe

#107 ·
Titano24's said:
everyone is just beating around the bush now..........if low compression engines = regular fuel.................then why does the QX56 (same compression ratio as the titan) require premium? *raises hand* I know I know

Again guys this is not a question of compression ratio but of timing. If people fail to see this then so be it.........COMPRESSION RATIO IS A MOOT POINT SINCE THEY ARE THE SAME ON BOTH VEHICLES!!!!
Why does everyone say the Q56 "requires" premium? If it is indeed like the ttian, premium would be optional. not required.

#108 ·
mach1 said:
Why does everyone say the Q56 "requires" premium? If it is indeed like the ttian, premium would be optional. not required.
its is "required" to get the 315 hp get it???? not hard to understand............not really........i don't think......they can get away with the "required" word because its an upper class brand and the people that buy them won't think twice about paying for the extra power........sooooooooo to meet there claim of 315 HP and there claimed gas mileage it is "required" to run premium.............

the freakin truck won't blow up if you don't run premium it will just not have the 315 hp claimed nor the gas mileage claimed.......

also if you were around when the titan first came out you would know that in the first materials on the titan it said it required premium fuel...........nissan then retracted this statement and went with the lower HP rating since it would be the only 1/2 ton that "required" premium

#110 ·
I understand completley, but i think when you are describing the Q56 and the higher horsepower rating and the driveline being identical to the titan, blah, blah, blah...........you shouldnt say it is "required" but that it gets better performance from premuin fuel, thus making your point that the titan would do the same.

Anyway, Im suppose im being anal retentive..:jester:

#111 ·
mach1 said:
I understand completley, but i think when you are describing the Q56 and the higher horsepower rating and the driveline being identical to the titan, blah, blah, blah...........you shouldnt say it is "required" but that it gets better performance from premuin fuel, thus making your point that the titan would do the same.

Anyway, Im suppose im being anal retentive..:jester:
well nissan says its "required" in the book for the QX56........but thing is that its just "required" to get the most out of the engine......hints 315 hp not the 305 hp

#112 ·
pi3yeargrad said:
Finally, I think we MIGHT be getting accross to these ignorant people...lol
nope........give it another 3 months and bring the subject up again.......and it will be this thread all over again

#113 ·
I thinks the sticker on mine said 87. I know if the Titan had required mid or premium grade fuel, I would not have bought it! It's way too thirsty.

Why the hec can't Nissan clear this up once and for all!

SP

#114 ·
stratplaya said:
I know if the Titan had required mid or premium grade fuel, I would not have bought it! It's way too thirsty.

SP
exactly why nissan changed the "required" thing on the titan

#115 ·
stratplaya said:
I thinks the sticker on mine said 87. I know if the Titan had required mid or premium grade fuel, I would not have bought it! It's way too thirsty.

SP
I think the people HERE are doing a good job "clearing it up" :cheers:

#116 ·
Well, the Altima, for example, at least the 3.5L, gets better performance from premium, and the manual specifically states "for maximum performance, premium is recommended" or something like that. it doesnt scare away any potential buyers, noting that premium isnt "required", but only optional.

If this is the case with the Titan, they should document it the same way.

#117 ·
mach1 said:
Well, the Altima, for example, at least the 3.5L, gets better performance from premium, and the manual specifically states "for maximum performance, premium is recommended" or something like that. it doesnt scare away any potential buyers, noting that premium isnt "required", but only optional.

If this is the case with the Titan, they should document it the same way.
i think the older manuals said just that.........but now.........they don't, we actually had thread about just that on here before

#118 ·
Here is why I want to see the dyno... if the curves of 87 and 91 is identical.. except that the 91 shows 10 hp increase only at redline in 5th gear. Then I will definately go 87. Lets be honest, how many people redline their Titan in 5th gear?

But if the Dyno not only shows that 91 gets top HP but also the curve is smoother than I will definately go 91. I don't think the 91 curve is smoother than the 87 for the simple fact that I get just as good as gas milage with 87 than 91.

I have seen claims where exhause manufacturers claim 10hp by just bolting on.. they were right but guess where the power was? it was at the very top in 6th gear at 12k rpm! Some places in the powerband even showed decrease in performance.

Like I said we can argue this all we want but the dyno does not lie.

#119 ·
EricCartmann said:
Here is why I want to see the dyno... if the curves of 87 and 91 is identical.. except that the 91 shows 10 hp increase only at redline in 5th gear. Then I will definately go 87. Lets be honest, how many people redline their Titan in 5th gear?

But if the Dyno not only shows that 91 gets top HP but also the curve is smoother than I will definately go 91. I don't think the 91 curve is smoother than the 87 for the simple fact that I get just as good as gas milage with 87 than 91.

I have seen claims where exhause manufacturers claim 10hp by just bolting on.. they were right but guess where the power was? it was at the very top in 6th gear at 12k rpm! Some places in the powerband even showed decrease in performance.

Like I said we can argue this all we want but the dyno does not lie.

well to let ya in on a few things............

#1 the titans peak HP isn't redline in 5th gear its around 4800 rpm.......peak torque is around 4000 rpm, our power at redline is actually going down........

#2 you don't dyno the titan in 5th gear you dyno in 4th

and the dyno will lie in a since if you don't let the ecu calibrate itself for the high octane fuel (multiple tanks)......and i run 93 octane not 91.

#120 ·
guys do ya realize that we are nit picking over ~ 100 bucks a year? hahahah

#121 · (Edited)
Titano24's said:
well to let ya in on a few things............

#1 the titans peak HP isn't redline in 5th gear its around 4800 rpm.......peak torque is around 4000 rpm, our power at redline is actually going down........

#2 you don't dyno the titan in 5th gear you dyno in 4th

and the dyno will lie in a since if you don't let the ecu calibrate itself for the high octane fuel (multiple tanks)......and i run 93 octane not 91.
huh? you don't dyno in 5th gear? would u not go through all the gear ranges? and is not 5th gear @4800 rpms where the peak 305HP coming from ? (275 @ rear wheel is the best number I have seen for a stock Titan) How would you measure peak performance if you are not taking her to 5th?

#122 ·
Hey guys I pulled .96 G's in my truck with my crappy piece of garbage G-tech. 4 LO And I had PREMIUM in the tank!! What a rush. I have never raged on my truck until I got this thing. But with premium in the tank it should take it better than regular. Also I think the premium gas keeps the truck clean, I havent had to wash it in a while! Heck Chevron says "Drive your engine clean" , Gotta believe that!!! Im not going to change my oil any more. Ignorance is bliss!!!

#123 ·
Helinut1970 said:
Hey guys I pulled .96 G's in my truck with my crappy piece of garbage G-tech. 4 LO And I had PREMIUM in the tank!! What a rush. I have never raged on my truck until I got this thing. But with premium in the tank it should take it better than regular. Also I think the premium gas keeps the truck clean, I havent had to wash it in a while! Heck Chevron says "Drive your engine clean" , Gotta believe that!!! Im not going to change my oil any more. Ignorance is bliss!!!
Would PREMIUM gas make my stereo better?:jester:
Helinut, you got to stop posting about the Gtech, I'm trying not to spend any more money.:cheers:

#125 ·
Titano24's said:
guys do ya realize that we are nit picking over ~ 100 bucks a year? hahahah
My truck will be 2 years old, May 31, 06. My mileage is 45,600, at 15 miles per gal and $ .20 more per gal for premium, that is $608.00.
I ran 4 consecutive tanks of premium last year, and the mileage did not change. But I think people should run whichever they perfer:cheers:

#126 ·
rholland said:
My truck will be 2 years old, May 31, 06. My mileage is 45,600, at 15 miles per gal and $ .20 more per gal for premium, that is $608.00.
I ran 4 consecutive tanks of premium last year, and the mileage did not change. But I think people should run whichever they perfer:cheers:
I tend to agree. However I wonder if there is some trick to getting more beef out of the premium. When I first got my truck I got two months free gas, compliments of the dealership. I babied the truck as it was new, but I put in 93 octane every tank from a Shell station. I consistenly got 17mpg! Over the span of about 2,500 miles this is with city driving about 1/2 on the freeways and 1/2 on the side streets. With a brand new unbroken in truck, I was freaking estatic, thinking it would only get better. After the free gas ended, I switched to 87, The fuel economy dropped like a rock, down to between 12 and 14mpg. Since then I have run a couple tanks of premium back to back, and the Butt Dyno said yes. But the fuel economy improved only to high 14's... I've since added about 250lbs worth of mods, but still. I wonder how the fuel management in this truck works, does it do it on the fly, or does it move more slowly. Perhaps switching to premium with a ECU reset?

IT would be nice to see some hard data done on the Titan w/the premium done on back to back dynos. My hypothesis is that if you dyno'd two trucks with 87 and then switched them to 93, I think you would see a power difference especially with a ECU reset.. As far as economics, It should also give better gas mileage, but in a manner that probably does not really make it cost effective, or it will just even out. Even though to the contrary I haven't experienced a boost in fuel economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.