Nissan Titan Forum banner

Too much rust after one year?

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  FishnAlaska 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Finally back on here. I got under my Titan the other day to ensure the rear axle breather was still functioning and noticed a sh*t load of rust. The Titan is a 2015 and I was shocked by the rust on the some of the parts. I live in Canada, land of ice and salt in the winter but really...

Is this much rust in one year "normal"???

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea that is a little strange I live on Vancouver island, salt on the road, in the air from the ocean lol. My 2015 that I bought last September doesn't look anything like that and neither did my 2011 after five years.
Wouldn't say it's concerning but is a little weird.
What part of Canada are you located

#5 ·
I lived in North Dakota the past 8 years, rust was never really much of a problem, moved to South Dakota at the beginning of winter last year. The amount of rust that showed up over 1 winter here amazed me, parts that I had put on new last year had significant amount of rust, even some stainless bolts I out on last year were rusted together. Really think it depends on what mixture the road crews use to break up the snow and ice.

#6 ·
I lived in the Syracuse (Salt City!) area for quite a few years, and that type of rusting was considered the norm. The road crews in that area of the NE use a mix of salt and calcium chloride. A few years ago, some of the towns in the area switched to a brine solution, as well. Does a nice job on the roads, but you can hear your vehicle rusting... D‑':

After moving to Texas, you would not believe the looks I've gotten from mechanics when they see the rust on brake rotors, undercarriage... That's one of the reasons I traded my 2010 Frontier for the Titan. One winter in the NE was enough to show the same type of rust as in OP's photos. Yes, that's unfortunately "normal" in that area.

#8 ·
First year at SU and one winter later, my car was showing rust all over. Your right, the roads are clear but you can almost see within month's what winter de-icing does to one's vehicle.

#7 ·
What's the build date of your Titan?
If you have a late 2014 build of a MY15 Titan, it's possible it's been sitting in the elements longer than usual.
I would keep an eye on it. A wire brush should clean it up and maybe some anti rust paint or anti seize on at least the shock bolts. :)

#12 ·
Got a link? can't find anything about AD2000, or is it just a Canadian thing?

#17 ·
#16 ·
Looks interesting. The company that makes the stuff, Lloyd's Laboratories is part of EnviroGreen solutions, in Ontario. Lloyds Laboratories Industrial Cleaning & Lubricating Products

They have an interesting range of "natural" products, cleaners, etc. Not sure what's in AD2000, since the MSDS says none of the ingredients are regulated. Appears to be a rather simple organic material, since the combustion by products listed are "oxides of carbon and nitrogen."

Website says they are looking for distributors in the US! :nerd:

#19 ·
Somebody from Canada send me a can or two!!!:)

Reactions: GalaxyPro4X11
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.