Nissan Titan Forum banner

Metal Shavings - New Truetrac Install

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  nightowl 
#1 ·
Hey - so this morning I saw an oil leak in my driveway directly under my newly installed (1,000 miles or less) TrueTrac differential. I pulled it in the garage and checked all around the Mag-Hytec cover and didn't see any evidence that it was leaking. I pulled the dip sick and while the fluid level was fine I found some small metal shavings and now I'm worried.

I don't have any weird sounds or any symptoms that I'm having issues. Since I had the e-locker before I had to replace both axles. Do you think the shavings are normal 'break in'?

I believe the oil may have been from my brothers vehicle which was parked in my driveway this weekend. Cause there is not evidence I have a leak.

#3 ·
Break-in debris is pretty normal. Change the diff fluid at 1200 miles or so, and you'll likely be just fine.

I still do "old school" break-in fluid changes on our vehicles. I don't think it's coincidence that recommended break-in fluid changes disappeared and fluid intervals extended when the car makers started covering routine maintenance during warranty periods. So-called "lifetime fill?" Yeah, but that practice probably reduces the component's "lifetime." End of rant...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.