2014 F150 or 2014 Titan - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2014 F150 or 2014 Titan

I know this is a frequent topic and I apologize but I need to pull the trigger soon and need some quick advice. I have a 2003 F150 SuperCrew FX4. Its been a decent truck and I'm going to keep it as a farm truck. But it is time to replace it as a regular driver. All of my other vehicles are and have been Nissans for the last 30 years.

I've narrowed the field down to a 2014 Titan Pro-4x, 21k miles, crew cab. Looks new. vs. 2014 Ford F50 FX4 SuperCrew 5.0 V8 with the 3.73 rear end. 47k miles. Also looks clean.

The Ford is about $2K more than the Nissan.

I tow a pretty good bit: horse trailer, tractor, track car. So towing is important.

The specs on the Ford are way better than the Titan on paper but I do notice that the Titan has better torque at significantly lower RPM. For towing this seems important.

The Ford is rated at 11,000 towing. The Titan at 9300. My trailer is rated at 9000 so I'll never be likely to need to pull more than that.

Obviously this is the Titan web site so there will be bias. But, Ford reviews are generally good. Titan reviews are generally bad.

But I'm still leaning toward the Titan. I like the looks better than the Ford.

Is there any reason that this would be a mistake? What do I need to know about the 2014 Titan to beware of? Anything to look for when I'm looking at and test driving the Titan?

Thanks for any quick and down and dirty advice you guys can send my way. Hope to make a purchase this weekend....although I've backed off several times before. These trucks are super pricey and the old F150 is still running fine. Stinks inside because the rear window leaks and it is all beat to heck but still runs okay and AC still works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 06:36 PM

Location: WESTERN (actual) Colorado.. where the mountains are.
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: 2014 F150 or 2014 Titan

with that sort of regular towing duty, I'd mark both off and go for a 3/4ton. I'm not well versed in that flavor of ford, but I've always had unending electrical issues with every ford I've owned. I'm currently in process of displacing (I already own both) my 09 Titan with an '89 F-350 for daily hauling duty. The simple fact being I could easily trash the Titan's semi-floating dana44 rear end with my trailer, vs there's NO WAY I can even stress the ford's full floating dana 70 DRW with it. The amount of electronic integration in the later ford pickups makes me very wary. That sort of stuff is put in to make new buyers have the best new thing, not to get a working truck through 200+k miles. On the other hand the higher towing cap makes me wonder. If the Ford has a floating rear axle, then it would be the better choice. Personally, For comfort and sheer performance, I have yet to drive anything i like better than my Titan (Including the 2nd gen Titan). Downside, the Ford is lighter, and thus will make towing a bit more squirrely. My knee-jerk reflex is to say get the Titan, but maybe the ford will be better for you, in any case, it sounds like you have pretty high demands for any half ton, and I'd point you to something beefier. (I'm certainly not moving my work truck from an 09 to an '89 because it's more comfortable..lol)

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Till it falls apart.........
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.......Or I do

September 2014 Titan Talk Titan of the Month

-----Hobbyist 12v mad scientist-----
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-the-Impaler For This Useful Post:
oldf150 (04-06-2017)
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:50 AM

Garage

My dad has a F150 like you are talking about as far as real towing, the most it sees is a dump trailer he never loads down more than 3K and gravity wagons of corn but those you aren't pulling very far or very fast. It does okay, but for anything heavier he's calling me to hook up behind the Titan or my brother in law and one of his 3/4 tons. The F150 does the job, but he just doesn't feel comfortable with more than that behind it as he thinks the engine works to hard.

I pull 7k of camper all summer with no complaints to the point I'm looking to trade my camper in and will be climbing to around 8k to 9k range.

And looking at Ford's data your tow ratings are off. Best for that combo is 10,000 in a 2wd regular cab. Supercrew is 9200 for a 4x4 and 9500 for a 4x2.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...F150_Sep11.pdf

I learned quickly when shopping for my truck, never trust anyone when they give you tow numbers and to check them myself. The amount of domestics I looked at that they claimed would tow a lot and most where actually minimum tow setup of around 5k.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indy For This Useful Post:
mmprolinks (04-09-2017), oldf150 (04-06-2017)
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Lee, I may have mislead a bit about towing. I tow my car maybe 5 times a year, 1-3 hour trips. Tractor gets towed maybe twice a year. Both of these on a 9000# rated steel deck trailer. Pull a two horse trailer maybe once a year. Tractor is the heaviest with the total tow load around 7000# including trailer. So I think a 1/2 ton truck is okay. The F150 has done fine. Bogs a little on hills. Plus, I cannot afford a 3/4 ton that is also nice enough to do double duty for road trips and daily driving.

Indy, you are correct. It is extremely difficult to find the actual tow rating on these Fords and the salesmen typically have no idea and the specs at CarMax and AutoTrader are usually wrong. The best tow capacity for an F150 SuperCrew 4x4 is around 9000# and these are hard to find. The majority are rated at around 7500#.

So, with most of the Fords rated no more than my current Ford, and costing several grand more than a Titan, and getting about the same MPG as a Titan (if the Ford has the 3.73 rears) I'm leaning strongly toward the Titan. There are two Pro-4xs with low miles for around $33,000. Both are loaded. I'm not huge into the luxury and techno junk but this will double as our long road trip vehicle too so I don't mind paying for it especially if I'll keep it for 16 plus years like we have the Ford.

Does anyone know if Nissan ever made any significant improvement to the exhaust manifold issue? I know there was some change around 2010 or 2012 but heard it wasn't much of an improvement. Is this still a problem likely to crop up on a 2014 or 2015?

I've also heard that the Titans are prone to interior electrical failures like door window motors etc. This is fairly typical for Nissan. I've replaced (DIY) the ones in my 350z twice.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldf150 For This Useful Post:
Lee-the-Impaler (04-05-2017)
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:05 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldf150 View Post
Lee, I may have mislead a bit about towing. I tow my car maybe 5 times a year, 1-3 hour trips. Tractor gets towed maybe twice a year. Both of these on a 9000# rated steel deck trailer. Pull a two horse trailer maybe once a year. Tractor is the heaviest with the total tow load around 7000# including trailer. So I think a 1/2 ton truck is okay. The F150 has done fine. Bogs a little on hills. Plus, I cannot afford a 3/4 ton that is also nice enough to do double duty for road trips and daily driving.

Indy, you are correct. It is extremely difficult to find the actual tow rating on these Fords and the salesmen typically have no idea and the specs at CarMax and AutoTrader are usually wrong. The best tow capacity for an F150 SuperCrew 4x4 is around 9000# and these are hard to find. The majority are rated at around 7500#.

So, with most of the Fords rated no more than my current Ford, and costing several grand more than a Titan, and getting about the same MPG as a Titan (if the Ford has the 3.73 rears) I'm leaning strongly toward the Titan. There are two Pro-4xs with low miles for around $33,000. Both are loaded. I'm not huge into the luxury and techno junk but this will double as our long road trip vehicle too so I don't mind paying for it especially if I'll keep it for 16 plus years like we have the Ford.

Does anyone know if Nissan ever made any significant improvement to the exhaust manifold issue? I know there was some change around 2010 or 2012 but heard it wasn't much of an improvement. Is this still a problem likely to crop up on a 2014 or 2015?

I've also heard that the Titans are prone to interior electrical failures like door window motors etc. This is fairly typical for Nissan. I've replaced (DIY) the ones in my 350z twice.
I believe the exhaust manifold is still an issue, but have not heard anything about electrical issues. I've got a 2013 with closing in on 90k and my exhaust manifold is fine. I figure if the original holds up that long, and headers is beyond my ability, I'll just have them replaced as I don't plan on driving it to 200k anyways.

When I was shopping, I ended up saying to heck with the domestics because I got so tired of the package game and finding one that was full tow setup and then said it will either be a Nissan or a Toyota. The Tundra I wanted sold before I got around to pulling the trigger and then test drove a Titan, I was sold and haven't regretted it a bit. I love driving my truck. My family is all Ford or Chevy, diehards one way or the other, I'm glad I bucked that trend.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indy For This Useful Post:
mmprolinks (04-09-2017), oldf150 (04-06-2017)
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 AM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Exhaust manifolds will still be same ones that are in the other Titans. You never know, though. Some people are still on their original manifolds at 150k+ and some, like me, changed them before 100k.

My dad's had 3 F150's and all 3 rear ends have gone out before 75k. I'm almost at 130k on my Titan and have abused it far more than he ever did his trucks. If you end up with the Titan vent the rear axle (search the forum) before you do anything else, easiest and cheapest mod to keep your rear axle healthy.

If towing capacities are about equal I personally would rather tow a trailer with a heavier truck as it's easier to control. You've already touched on it, but gas mileage is abysmal. Don't even kid yourself into thinking you might get more than 10 towing ANYTHING. I recently towed a U-haul 5x10 (tiny trailer) and just barely got 10 MPG. Just be prepared for that if you end up with the Titan.

2008 PRO-4X KC
Looks and Sound: No chrome, Leveled, Black Rhino Sidewinder 18x9's, 275/70/R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, OEM modded headlights, RF system+Two Kicker Comp 12's, LED lights inside and out, Defiant light bar, 32" curved LED bar, amber pods
Performance: AirAid MXP, UpRev, JBA LT Headers, Cajun B Pipes, JBA catback, Dirt King UCA's, Bilstein 5100's

Last edited by LaxDfns15; 04-05-2017 at 07:21 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaxDfns15 For This Useful Post:
Indy (04-05-2017), oldf150 (04-06-2017)
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:50 PM

Location: WESTERN (actual) Colorado.. where the mountains are.
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

The manifolds are an issue that crops up frequently, not one I've had. My 09 was bought new, and currently has 145k on it. It's pulled mountain oilfield duty as crew-ride/office/bunkhouse right out of the box. These days, I constantly tow with it, up to #12.6K, trailer and load. Not an easy life for a pickup and I was told time and time again it wouldn't last 2 years. In almost eight years time my OEM repair/ replace list is pretty short considering:
Radiators at 110K and 120K (Second free due to part warranty)
Parking brakes @ 90k (Everything except the toggle box replaced)
Axle seal, bearing, and ABS tone ring and sensor on driver's side (Destroyed when parking brake came apart off-road)
Front output shaft seal on transfer case @ 115K
Rotors @ 95K (I eat brake pads about every 30K due to the 'roads' I traverse, but the OEM pads lasted up to 80K)
Front u-joints @ 100K
2 alternators: I broke the charging post off the OEM while adding my aux battery line, the second failed due to being saturated constantly with power steering fluid.
Power steering pressure hose @ 140K (Leaking since about 90K)
Blown speaker in front Passenger door (3 weeks ago, after years of high volume)
Fuel pump @ 145K* (Went out end of last week, part on order)
Battery from factory first replaced @ 30K
Both alternators were caused by my error, first by over-tightening a nut, then by not addressing the power steering leak. The blow up of the parking brake was also my fault, as I drove it quite some way with them set, though I have heard of them coming apart, even if they have never been used. The radiators are another known issue, the fix is to get an all aluminum aftermarket radiator, which can often be had for less than an OEM aluminum/plastic style. Every year and a half like clockwork, I used to eat a battery, likely due to the sheer amount of aux electrical I run in lights, airbag compressor, and in-cab gadgets (most hardwired). I have only replaced my battery once since I set up an aux battery in the toolbox, and that was the 3year old battery I originally installed there. The only interior part I've ever had an issue with is the driver's seat upholstery is coming apart at the outer seam, but years of getting in and out dozens of times a day with tools in back pockets does that.

It sounds like from both a preference, and a financial standpoint, you belong in a Titan. Good luck.

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!

Till it falls apart.........
.......Or I do

September 2014 Titan Talk Titan of the Month

-----Hobbyist 12v mad scientist-----
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee-the-Impaler For This Useful Post:
GalaxyPro4X11 (04-06-2017), oldf150 (04-06-2017), TheeKB (04-09-2017)
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Lee, that sounds like a lot of problems but it also sounds like you work the truck pretty hard too.

My F150 is 14 years old but has low miles for being that old at about 140k. It has been very reliable but has had two major issues. The first was the AC went out after only 5 years and cost over $900 to repair. The second is that the rear window has leaked for years. It is not a sliding window. I've done all the fixes and tricks to get it to stop but it still leaks. Interior now smells like mildew and wet dog (but that's because we have Labs). I've replaced a thermostat and all 8 coils plus a few other minor issues like PCV valves but otherwise engine has been good. A front CV joint is going bad. It has always been easy on brakes and tires. So its been a decent vehicle.

If I get this Titan it will have a pretty easy life for a good while, mostly weekend trips to the cabin, road trips and occasional towing as mentioned above. It won't even be driven daily. I won't take it in the woods much; I'll keep the Ford for that and other dirty work.

Just have to decide if I'm ready to plunk down the money and make the payments. Right now I have no car payments and that is really nice.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:36 AM

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

OK, as someone who loves the Titan (I've had 2 of them), things to consider:

1. Will you keep this forever or resell it one day? The Ford will have much better resale.
2. Towing: advantage Ford.
3. Comfort - I think that's a wash. I prefer the Titan, but we have a fleet of 150s at work and they are comfortable too.
4. Reliability - the drivetrain on the Titan is great (the rear being the weak link), the 150 pretty good too. At work, we've had transmission problems more than anything else on the 150s. The Titan exhaust manifolds suck and you'll likely go through a set or two. Just for reference.
5. Reviews - not sure where Titan reviews are generally bad. There's advantage in having the same truck for 10 years, disadvantage in the fact that Nissan didn't bother doing anything substantial with rear axles or exhaust manifolds.

If I were buying one, based on what you've posted, I would probably get the Ford just based on the towing.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdmartin For This Useful Post:
oldf150 (04-06-2017)
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Why do you feel the Ford has the towing advantage? I'm only looking at the 5.0 V8. I know too many people who have had problems with the Eco-Boost 6 that I'm not willing to buy a used (dumped) one of those. That leaves only two towing capacities in the 4x4 4 door: approx 7500 and approx 9000 if you can find one with a 3.73 rear which is like finding a needle in a haystack.

So for me towing is a wash.

If the truck performs the way it is supposed to and is fairly reliable I will keep it until it dies (just like my Ford) so trade value isn't an issue.

The Titan reviews are all bad because they have no made changes. Agreed, silly reason for bad review but customers love bigger, better, faster, more. Some reviews knock interior fit and finish. Can't be worse than my current F150 (even when new) of even newer F150s. Interiors in both a cheap and plasticky so I don't see a Ford advantage there either.

As it turns out the Titan I want appears to have a an aftermarket lift on it in the photos. Dealer is supposed to get back to me on that. It looks like just an inch or two but I do not buy any modified vehicles. Period.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Personally I'd go with the Titan as I'm on my second, sure I'm a little bias but I've also had a lot of experience with 2012 an up f-150's, we never had anything older. My titan is way more comfortable to me then the Ford, also the titan feels a lot more in control while heavy towing. Our work trucks had tons of tranny issues an other electrical gremlins that haunted them on the regular.
The manifolds imo is not an issue as I've put headers on pretty much every vehicle I've ever owned.
One thing I will say is I paid 37300 before taxes in Canada for my 2015 loaded pro4x, just seems like 33000 us is kinda high.

Performance mods:
UPREV tuned by RB's Titan, MXP CAI, JBA 304SS headers ceramic coated jet black 2000 degree coating, 2.5 Resonated Cajun B-Pipes an catback with Borla 18" XR1

Suspension mods:
6inch stage 2 procomp, extended travel bracket lifted Radflo Coilovers with PRG top hat, PRG UCA's, PRG Off-road trac bars, Deaver C-30's with 2" block an PRG adjustable shackles with bilsteins in the rear.
315-60R20 Toyo mud terrains with 20x10 -18 matte black fuel Vapors

Future Mods:
Level 10 trans when warranty runs out
Remote res rear shocks
Install my grizzly locker
The Following User Says Thank You to GalaxyPro4X11 For This Useful Post:
oldf150 (04-06-2017)
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

I'll try to talk them down a bit but that's about the going price around here if not higher. The 2014 with 20k miles is $33k. The 2015 with $15k is $34,500 and it has nav and leather seats. I really don't want leather seats though. There are only 2 Pro 4x models with low miles in a hundred mile radius on AutoTrader. A third one about 120 miles away is a 2015 for $36k+.

The salesman finally looked at the 2014's suspension. It does not have an aftermarket lift on it than goodness.

Will sit down with my wife tonight and we'll decide if we really want to buy right now. A new (used) truck is appealing but $8000 cash down and $500 plus a month really puts a crimp on the old lifestyle! I could put a fireplace in my cabin for half the down payment or renovate a non functioning upstairs bathroom for that sort of money.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Well, my wife, being far wiser than I am, says we need to go get the truck. Her thought is that #1, we're going to have to do this sooner or later anyway. #2, we actually have down payment money right now. #3 the truck we want is available right now.

So, we're going to make the drive (about an hour) and make an offer on the truck if it looks and drives okay. The F150 will be retired to the farm on a trickle charger.

My wife, again because she is wiser than me, also got pre-approved for a used car loan at an incredible rate through USAA.

Will post back if we come home with it. Hope to deal them down $1000 but I'm not counting on it. If this one does't work out will drive over and look at the 2015.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldf150 For This Useful Post:
GalaxyPro4X11 (04-06-2017)
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:07 PM

Thanked 3,454 Times in 2,215 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I have driven Fords for over 30 years, (69 Mustang, 86 Bronco, 86 F250, 92 F250, 2001 F150, 2005 F150) was ahppy with the Ford exept the last one, which I still own and is my sons daily driver. I was looking at another F150 to replace my 01, when just to mess with the salesman I drove across the street to the Nissan dealership, for what they gave me for a trade and the incentives. I couldn't pass up the deal, sorry Ford, one of the best moves I have made. I love my Titan and will drive it till one of us dies. Do they have problems? Yes, but what vehicle doesn't? My 05 F150 has been in the shop numerous times for engine work and it only has 48k on it. My Titan has been in the shop once (78k miles), and it was covered under warranty. I've done a ton of work to it (by choice), and still haven't spent the difference in what the ford would have cost me. The only thing I regret is not getting a Pro4x instead of my SE.

2010 Titan 4x4 CC SE Majestic Blue
Uprev tuned by Seymore, JBA Evol catback, Cajun catless B pipes, Airaid MXP 4" CAI
8" Boston acoustic's sub in Tech12volts ported box w 1000 w renegade amp
Autostart remote start, bedlined OEM wheels, bumpers, and grill. Go Rhino D2 steps.
Pyramid Automotive Retro fit headlights with Xenonvision H1 Hid's and super bright LED reverse lights, blue interior LED's, and white exterior LED's.
Smoke hood shield and in channel window deflectors, Custom grounding kit by FAK.
Pro4X skid plate, 20" double row Cree light bar, rear bumper flushmount Cree LED's
Leer 100R Topper, Goodyear Duratracs 275/70/18,
Dirt King UCA's, DR/ICON coilovers, 1.5" rear block w/Bilstein 5125's.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FishnAlaska For This Useful Post:
GalaxyPro4X11 (04-06-2017), Lee-the-Impaler (04-06-2017)
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

My son-in-law has a 2010 F150 XLT. Has been in shop multiple times with major engine issues. All fixed under warranty but the dealership hasn't been nice about it. It also eats front tires like crazy.

On thing I will say about my F150 is that it has always been easy on tires. Even wear all the way around and has never had a front end alignment.

I take reports of problems on vehicles with a grain of salt. As mentioned, they all have them and with the internet the perceived incidence of problems gets magnified. No one posts that their truck worked properly today.

As mentioned, I have owned at least one Nissan since 1984 and in that time have owned only two none Nissans (a Mazda 323 in the late 80s and my current F150, I consider the 3 Infinitis as Nissans). So I'm familiar with how Nissan does things. Warts and all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top