ECU reset turned off 'Service Engine Soon' light - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 10:00 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
ECU reset turned off 'Service Engine Soon' light

The light came on for the second time since I've owned the truck... only this time it didn't go off. There is a lot of info to search through and this may be in there somewhere. Anyway, it saved me a trip to the dealer.... thanks guys!

BTW... I just did a search for 'ECU reset' and it popped up. The 'easy method' that has been edited into the link is super easy... I just printed it out and sat in my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,146 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to P's Titan
Re: ECU reset turned off 'Service Engine Soon' light

congrats!!! somone who searched and found an answer... what a concept

Did you determine what cause the SES ?

Click here for Tips for TitanTalk

my mods list

USE DISCOUNT CODE FOLGER
FOR 10% OFF EVERYDAY @ www.adamspolishes.com

CrankyWhore™
TequilaWhore™
#3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Banned

you might want to invest in a code reader so you can see what code you are getting, as well as reset it with the tool.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 3,329 Times in 2,202 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1219
you might want to invest in a code reader so you can see what code you are getting, as well as reset it with the tool.
Agree, code pop up for a reason. Resetting your ECU might make the SES light go away but the problem is still there.

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
#5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 01:34 PM

You don't need to purchase anything to read out the code and reset the light.

1. Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
2. Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
3. Wait seven seconds, then fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.
4. Release the accelerator pedal and count the flashes to obtain the four-digit code.
5. Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)
6. The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits. Count these blinks to complete the four digit code.
7. The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.
8. If you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.
9. Clear the code by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while the SES light is blinking. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

Last edited by scr38; 04-16-2006 at 01:51 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Banned

usually you will get the book with the tool that tells you what the codes actually mean, so that can help a lot.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Premium User

Thanked 3,329 Times in 2,202 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1219
usually you will get the book with the tool that tells you what the codes actually mean, so that can help a lot.
You could also go here, http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/
Also alot of autoparts place can pull the code for free.

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
#8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 04:41 PM

Thanks guys... I will probably just let dealer figure it out when I take it in for the 30K service in a month or so. That's the second time its lit up.... as mentioned, the last time it went away on its own. Do you think the dealer will be any help? Or is it one of those 'if it's not doing it now, we don't care' things? Any idea if the codes are stored for the dealer to read. It would be nice to know going in that I can make them look into it.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,146 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to P's Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell
Thanks guys... I will probably just let dealer figure it out when I take it in for the 30K service in a month or so. That's the second time its lit up.... as mentioned, the last time it went away on its own. Do you think the dealer will be any help? Or is it one of those 'if it's not doing it now, we don't care' things? Any idea if the codes are stored for the dealer to read. It would be nice to know going in that I can make them look into it.

I don't think the code drops untill what ever is wrong is fixed. I may be wrong about that. My light went on and off and dealer read the code long after the light went off

Click here for Tips for TitanTalk

my mods list

USE DISCOUNT CODE FOLGER
FOR 10% OFF EVERYDAY @ www.adamspolishes.com

CrankyWhore™
TequilaWhore™
#10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Banned

they are stored. Not sure if its permanent until erased,but i think so. if the problems comes back, the light will go back on, but if the problem goes away, light stays off, but code is stored in memory.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:52 AM

Smile Re: ECU reset turned off 'Service Engine Soon' light

A big thanks from Edinburgh, Scotland to the retired gentleman in Lake Jackson, TX. I had a problem with the SES light on my 2002 Nissan X-Trail after replacing the cat oxygen sensor and I had no idea how to fix the problem. I searched the X-Trail forum for ideas but most of them involved disconnecting the battery or removing two or three fuses. I tried these methods but the light just kept on shining !! So I searched other forums and found the Titan one. I followed the instructions to the letter (very important) and SUCCESS. The light is now out and I can enjoy driving the car again. So again a big thanks to you guys and keep up the good work. Kind regards from bonnie Scotland.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr38 View Post
You don't need to purchase anything to read out the code and reset the light.

1. Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
2. Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
3. Wait seven seconds, then fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.
4. Release the accelerator pedal and count the flashes to obtain the four-digit code.
5. Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)
6. The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits. Count these blinks to complete the four digit code.
7. The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.
8. If you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.
9. Clear the code by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while the SES light is blinking. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).
Thanks to the data and members on this forum I had to do the same thing to my 08, SE when the SES light lit up around 14,000 miles. The blinking light was an EVAP code when I looked it up and I cleared it. The gas cap was not loose, and it happened about 3/4 of the way through a full tank. The same thing occurred around 1400 miles and the dealer told me the gas cap was loose so I asked them to check it and it was tight. Then they told me it was due to me topping off the tank after the nozzle clicks the first time (which I quit doing as well). In my case the forum was helpful because the dealer is a 50 minute drive each way.
#13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:10 AM
Premium User

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,201 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

This week I finally filled up after 3 weeks and I topped it off to the top. For the first time I heard the air trying to escape (like someone chugging water). I waited for few minutes for the sound to go away before putting on the gas cap.

08.5 SE CC, 4x4, Smoke
My Garage
Link to my Mod's

Jump to top